• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Spike Lee Signs Onto Oldboy Film Remake

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LilyChan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
But why?
Toriko36

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Seriously???

Hollywood needs to leave Foreign entities alone. The manga is great, the korean film was excellent and there is just no need to remake it into an American version. Stupid, real stupid.
Sunday Silence

And you know Lee will find some way to slant some racism angle into the film. Maybe how the spoiler[rape of the daughter of the imprisoned guy by him] is some symbolism of the plight of the black man in today's society.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

I liked the manga series up until the end when they reveal why the protagonist was locked up. The reason is incredibly dumb. I mean really dumb. I wonder if the films will keep the original reason? Because did I mention that it's dumb?

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The manga's ending was a let-down.

The Korean film's ending was much better and shocking.

Given that this is Hollywood, they'll likely lose the spoiler[incest angle and make it about homosexuality instead, so they can insert another message about how bullying 'gay children' is wrong and work it into some 'religious people should feel ashamed' angle or some claptrap because this is an extemity of what it can lead to... yawn...]
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd have like to have said inb4 closet bigots assume that Spike Lee can only make a movie about the plight of black men in America and therefore he will somehow try ruin this film by "blacking it up" but well...*cough* Summer Of Sam *cough* Miracle at St Anna* *barf*

Hollywood still needs to lay off the remakes though, but whatever get da money.

Last edited by Tomibiki on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
And you know Lee will find some way to slant some racism angle into the film. Maybe how the spoiler[rape of the daughter of the imprisoned guy by him] is some symbolism of the plight of the black man in today's society.

Yep, like those racial screeds, Son of Sam, 25th Hour and Inside Man.

...he makes great films about race relations, but he also makes good to great crime dramas. I wouldn't be surprised if he casts a black actor in the lead, hey Speilberg wanted Will Smith in the roll, but I doubt he'd tack on racial meaning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, Justin Lin was signed onto Oldboy 2.0 once, too. I imagine this adaptation has the same "curse" as Akira, though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
jdnation:
Quote:
The manga's ending was a let-down.

The Korean film's ending was much better and shocking.

Sorry, but the Korean movie's ending felt as tacked on as the whole gay thing you suggested, while the manga's ending was perfect. Nothing says it all about the extremes a bitter rivalry will lead to like that ending.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is still happening? I wrote it off years ago.

I'll be interested to see see what he does with it.
Fabe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see a Japanese film maker remake a classic American movie just to see how some of you would react.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

Yep, like those racial screeds, Son of Sam, 25th Hour and Inside Man.

...he makes great films about race relations, but he also makes good to great crime dramas. I wouldn't be surprised if he casts a black actor in the lead, hey Speilberg wanted Will Smith in the roll, but I doubt he'd tack on racial meaning.

Yeah, I still haven't respected him for his dig with Clint Eastwood over Letters from Iwo Jima....I don't recall any blacks on the JAPANESE SIDE.....
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Well if Lee is doing this it mite be good but who knows
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
Seriously???

Hollywood needs to leave Foreign entities alone. The manga is great, the korean film was excellent and there is just no need to remake it into an American version. Stupid, real stupid.

uh, did you forget Asia has been also remaking American film also. Are you going to complain about that too? I believe I mention this on a previous article.

Geez, I heard of people bashing on American remake of Asian film, but never the opposite when Asia remake American film. I have seen people that bash American remake of Asian film praising Asian remake of American film and attacking the American original calling them crap and say the Asian remake is so much better, that shows Asian supremacy is way out of control. I wonder what would happen if Japan/Korea remade Twilight or China remake Dr. Zhivago? I bet nobody complain and openly bash the original movie and saying "Asian are better and F(bleep) you, America" .

Quote:
I would love to see a Japanese film maker remake a classic American movie just to see how some of you would react.

They already did:

Sideways
Ghost
Paranormal Activity (well it's more of a semi-sequel, semi-remake)

Japan will remake 2 more American films:

An Affair to Remember

Working Girls

I'm still waiting for my Japanese remake of the Godfather (Sonny Chiba would fit in as Vito Corleone). Of all the Japanese remake, not one even complain about it. The same thing happen when China/HK remade Cellular into Connected. Also nobody complain about Zhang Yimou doing a loose remake of Blood Simple into A Simple Noodle Story, and I never heard any problem about China's remake of High School Musical. I bet nobody will complain when South Korea will remake Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Spike Lee? I've heard the name before, but looking through his IMDB page, there's absolutely nothing that he's directed that I have seen, nor anything that looks all that interesting, either. This is not looking good. Then again seeing as how this is a remake and I already own and like the previous Oldboy film, I don't think a remake was all that necessary to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4