• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation DVD Ranking, July 4-10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
Oh dear.
Fairy Tail only 609 sold?
Then again, these types of shows don't tend to sell more than a 1,000 unless really popular and it is the 18th Volume...
Wonder how this will perform for FUNi in the US? Will the sales be as much of a let down or will this be a case of being bigger in the US than in Japan...
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Oh dear.
Fairy Tail only 609 sold?
Then again, these types of shows don't tend to sell more than a 1,000 unless really popular and it is the 18th Volume...
Wonder how this will perform for FUNi in the US? Will the sales be as much of a let down or will this be a case of being bigger in the US than in Japan...

It's $55(with amazon discount over $70 normally) for 4 episodes of a daytime tv anime what kind of sales do you expect?

Think of any daytime anime as advertisments for the GN and merchandise only with late night anime are they important.

For comparison the Sket dance dvd is one episode for $16 which is cheap for Japan.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
All long running shonens do badly, sales wise. A lot of people are OCD about having full series, and you aren't going to find many people who are willing to buy over a hundred DVDs (for some series like Naruto and One Piece)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah shounen anime DVDs are never expected to sell other than in collections (like One Piece and Gintama) or if they have a heavy fujoshi following (like Blue Exorcist and Gintama).

Prettty much the anime is mainly made so more copies of the manga get sold. And I'm pretty sure Fairy Tail's manga print numbers have rose since the start of the anime so it's probably considered a success.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1