• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Episode titles not in English or Japanese

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:46 pm Reply with quote
ANN welcomes visitors from around the world, and we are grateful to users providing anime information in their home countries, including alternative titles and localized cast and staff information. However, with the current database structure, entering multiple languages in episode title pages can create a huge mess. Therefore, I would like to make two requests:

1. Until the day our database structure has been entirely revised to incorporate multiple languages / locales, please submit English and / or Japanese episode titles ONLY. Japanese episode titles have to be official; translated English episode titles for unlicensed anime are acceptable but shall be replaced with official English episode titles on DVD once licensed, unless titles have been modified instead of translated (this happens a lot when an anime is aired on US TV), in this case one should submit an "EDITED" title in addition to the original title (see Pokemon for example).

The only exception where the third language can stay is when the anime has genuine episode titles in that language. There are NOT many examples (e.g. French for Sakura Wars 3 / 4; German for Elfen Lied), and please accompany English and / or Japanese titles as well.

2. Alternative titles have to be official -- even if you think the official translated title is lame and unable to convey the spirit of the original Japanese title (IMHO, Case Closed and Soul Hunter). ANN is not Babel Fish.

Thanks again for making ANN better and more informative every day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:46 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
The only exception where the third language can stay is when the anime has genuine episode titles in that language. There are NOT many examples (e.g. French for Sakura Wars 3 / 4; German for Elfen Lied), and please accompany English and / or Japanese titles as well.

Another example is NOIR, as one episode title is French and another is Italian. Gunslinger Girl has episode titles in both Italian and Japanese, while Weiß Kreuz has German ane Japanese episode titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:45 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Gunslinger Girl has episode titles in both Italian and Japanese

Doh! How could I forget that one?! Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop It's one of my favorite series.

The list below are titles with non-Japanese, non-English titles that have to be dealt with. Please report them here, although it may take quite a while to replace them with English / Japanese episode titles (most of them are old series with little info over the Internet).

Candy Candy (TV)
Alps Stories: My Annette (TV)

EDIT: Adding one additional title: Katri, Girl of the Meadows (TV) (French ep titles)

Last edited by dormcat on Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:11 pm Reply with quote
B'tX (TV) (Episodes listed in Spanish)
B'tX Neo (OAV) (Episodes listed in Spanish)
.hack//SIGN (TV) (Episodes listed in Dutch)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Translating those spanish titles should be my work, no? Geez, Candy Candy is really a long anime...Anime hyper
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid just translating them won't do, Sarki-kun. What's needed are the proper English titles. What the episode titles are in Spanish doesn't necessarily relate to what they are in English.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo Doremi and its sequels has Japanese episode titles as the main entry:

Ojamajo Doremi (TV)
Ojamajo Doremi # (TV)
Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi (TV)
Ojamajo Doremi DOKKAAN! (TV)

Same in Case Closed (TV)

French and Spanish in Shelock Hound (TV).
skyechan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:07 am Reply with quote
Ah, so someone noticed all of the stuff I added. ^^;; I'm responsible for all of those. Embarassed The Spanish titles for Sherlock Hound I received from a Spanish friend of mine living in the Canary Islands. I have a few of the French episodes, but most of those titles came from a reliable French website for the show.

Question about all the Japanese titles I submitted to Case Closed and the Ojamajo Doremi series though:

I've seen a few anime episode title entries (One Piece) where they have put the Japanese titles in the JP: section of the title. Should I have done the same even though it's not romaji? I'm willing to change them, it'll just take awhile. Just need an answer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:26 am Reply with quote
skyechan wrote:
Ah, so someone noticed all of the stuff I added. ^^;; I'm responsible for all of those. Embarassed

I knew. I was pondering what should I do. Good to see you come forward. Anime smile

skyechan wrote:
The Spanish titles for Sherlock Hound I received from a Spanish friend of mine living in the Canary Islands. I have a few of the French episodes, but most of those titles came from a reliable French website for the show.

I appreciate your input and I believe they are authentic. However, if we allow translated/localized episode titles in one language we have to allow all other languages as well for the reason of fairness. I myself have watched many anime dubbed/subbed in Chinese on Taiwanese TV stations and have read much more manga (licensed and translated) in Taiwan, yet I can't and I wouldn't enter those information in near future due to limitations of the database. After all this is an English website.

skyechan wrote:
I've seen a few anime episode title entries (One Piece) where they have put the Japanese titles in the JP: section of the title. Should I have done the same even though it's not romaji? I'm willing to change them, it'll just take awhile. Just need an answer.

It is acceptable to have kanji/kana Japanese titles at JP: section, for most (if not all) Japanese websites do not have episode titles in romaji, and only few of them have furigana for kanji part. Having incorrectly spelled romaji (e.g. onyomi/kunyomi for the same kanji character) is even worse than not having them at all. Furthermore, you can enter both if you know both. There's a small trick to enter both kanji/kana and romaji. Take this example; the JP: tag can be used twice, creating two lines of Japanese episode titles.

I see you do have all three (English, kanji and romaji) episode titles for Case Closed eps 383-384. Why didn't you follow the standard format? As for Japanese titles for eps 230-380, please include FULL information even if you just want to add extra info (e.g. air date or Japanese title) and a staff member will redeem the duplicate entry later.
skyechan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Would you like me to remove the French and Spanish titles then from Sherlock Hound? I'll be more than happy to do so.

The special episode for Detective Conan, 383, actually GAVE an English title for the episode. Oo;;

As for the English title for 384, I actually could understand that one so I posted it. I don't know how to follow the format that the others have because someone else posted the titles of those. (I only do romaji and Japanese titles for the show unless I know what the translation is. ._. )

What do you mean by full information for 230-380? Do you mean include romaji? I'm not responsible for any of the English translations except 383 and 384. And the only air dates I added were 381-384.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
skyechan wrote:
Would you like me to remove the French and Spanish titles then from Sherlock Hound? I'll be more than happy to do so.

Please do so.

skyechan wrote:
As for the English title for 384, I actually could understand that one so I posted it. I don't know how to follow the format that the others have because someone else posted the titles of those. (I only do romaji and Japanese titles for the show unless I know what the translation is. ._. )

The format you use for #384,

skyechan wrote:
384. (2004-12-27) The Target is Mouri Kogorou JP: 標的は毛利小五郎 JP: Target wa Mouri Kogoro

is a complete and correct entry of information. Please modify #383 by moving the kanji title (甲子園の奇跡! 見えない悪魔に負けず嫌い) behind a JP: tag. By the way, there's no need to add a blank space between JP: and Japanese title.

See if you could find the English title for #381 and #382; you could also leave them blank and come back later once the official English title is released. Even if someone else beats you by speed, you'll still be credited for the incomplete yet correct information. Wink

skyechan wrote:
What do you mean by full information for 230-380? Do you mean include romaji? I'm not responsible for any of the English translations except 383 and 384. And the only air dates I added were 381-384.

This needs some explanation. PM me if you want to know the details.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1