• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Atlus U.S.A.: Catherine Game Sells 200,000 in 1st Week

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little curious, is selling 200,000 copies in one week very good? I mean I am sure it is otherwise they wouldn't post an article about it but how good is this?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
I'm a little curious, is selling 200,000 copies in one week very good? I mean I am sure it is otherwise they wouldn't post an article about it but how good is this?

For a small company that deals in more niche games like Atlus USA, yes, this is very good.

And very deserved. Catherine's one of the most unique and interesting games to come out in years. Congradulations Atlus!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:

Well it's no different from how Call Of Duty: Black Ops sold in Japan, PS3 version sold 125,000 units in one week. I'm at work so I can't access the link to the article. Shenl742 is correct on Catherine sales in US, it's very impressive and I'm quite surprised to see this game sold well in US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad that I had to cancel my order the week it came out so I could pay my car insurance otherwise I would have been part of this group. Oh well, I will get it someday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DJcream

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading somewhere that Catherine had the most successful first week out of all of Atlus's past releases. Given the company puts out a lot of games that typically fly under the radar, I want to say that the marketing push with Catherine was stronger than past titles and that's what lead up to these impressive sales numbers.

I've been playing Catherine this past week and it's definitely a step away from the norm. I've never played a puzzle game that was this frustratingly difficult ever.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing Catherine since I got it last week, and I must say it is indeed one of the more unique games I've played. I'm also fairly surprised, though pleasantly so, that it sold so well in the first week. I mean 200,000? That's a pretty impressive number of sales.

Though... at this point I've almost finished all achievements on the PS3 version. Very Happy
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:

Its Atlus' biggest ever success in America for the first week. 200k is about the amount a semi popular mainstream game may sell week 1. Overall it doesn't sound great, but when you consider this is a niche Japanese ecchi game, thats an astounding success.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:

Given it takes 500,000 copies to make a Greatest Hits title I'd say it's very good.
I think most Atlus USA published games usually sell around 30,000 copies, though Demon's Souls wound up hitting the 500,000 mark.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I guess a lot more people like moving blocks around than I expected.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to 'Catherine' for making the 200,000 mark. Also congrats to Atlus for making it possible. I just hope that the few that bought the game won't be disappointed. But Catherine is a unique game from what I've seen. I already recommended it for our college library (XBOX360 collection). So we got ours in and it's sitting my desk waiting to be processed. So it will be interesting to see what the new new and returning semester kids will think. I'm sort of pissed that the CD that came with it has music that the OST (JP) doesn't have. JP version is Meguro all the way, US CD gets the classical scores that Meguro did. I should have swiped it when I had the chance. Twisted Evil But all in all pleased indeed. Let the love and HATE begin!
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
For a point of reference, when Borderlands earned about 400K units sold when it released in 2009, and that represented the best first week of sales on any new IP that year.

www.destructoid.com/borderlands-best-week-one-sales-of-any-fresh-ip-in-2009-155311.phtml

Gearbox also went on to claim that it was the fastest selling new property of 2009.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/61273/gearbox-declares-borderlands-fastest-selling

I think 200k is a successful start.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
It definitely is a great start for a new IP. I'm happy to see something other than sequels/spinoffs selling well. While I'm not a fan of the game, it should earn Studio 4c some more money, who I do like.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good for a glorified dating sim, although it is likely because Catherine is riding on the coattails of Shin Megami Tensei/Persona games. I'd want to play it if there was a way to remove the lame puzzle block sections...
midnighteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying my play through so far of Catherine, but at no point did those puzzles grow on me. My husband and I got the hang of them, but it felt like they were punishing us for wanting to see the next cut scene. I agree with a previous post; I wish there was a way to skip over the puzzles. The story has a been a lot of fun and I really do want to get at least two of the endings, but i don't think I can handle the tedium of multiple puzzle play-throughs. Although I did hear some buzz over at Gamefaqs that you could skip puzzles the second time through...can anyone confirm this?
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah, kudos to Atlus on this achievement. And kudos to gamers for supporting a truly original and unique title for a change. Hopefully Shin Megami Tensei 5 will be a force to be reckoned with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4