• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puella Magi Madoka Magica Premiere and Q&A

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
I would say that it was wise to play the first three episodes to show off Madoka's awesomeness, but that room was most likely filled with people who have already watched it, so I doubt many more people were brought into the circle.

This sounded like a really awesome panel and I wish I could've been there. It's also pretty cool to see that Iwakami is impressed with Madoka's impact overseas. Hell, after combing through the Madoka Wiki, how could anyone not be impressed?

Quote:
Iwakami was unsure without seeing the scene but said that all the historical characters featured should be recognizable to American fans except possibly the Japanese Queen Himiko.

It's funny because people did recognize Himiko, but we still don't know who the purple-haired character is (I have no idea where they got pink hair OR castle). (SPOILER...KIND OF!) Here's the character they're talking about in case anyone wants a try at it. This quote does make me think that they're all historical figures, not just the obvious ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the nice write-up. Wish I could have been there!
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Quote:
Iwakami was unsure without seeing the scene but said that all the historical characters featured should be recognizable to American fans except possibly the Japanese Queen Himiko.

It's funny because people did recognize Himiko, but we still don't know who the purple-haired character is (I have no idea where they got pink hair OR castle). (SPOILER...KIND OF!) Here's the character they're talking about in case anyone wants a try at it. This quote does make me think that they're all historical figures, not just the obvious ones.

I think the pink hair/castle girl that was brought up was actually shown in episode 11, right here. For whatever reason, it's theorized that it could be Cassandra or Helen of Troy.

As for the girl you linked to, the one in purple, I just think that she's as much a historical figure as the spoiler[Viking girl] and spoiler[ Savannah girl]; in other words, she's probably more of a general representation of her time and place than anything else. Whatever that time and place is still up in the air, but surely you've read the speculah that spoiler[she might have been a resident of the area around Mount Vesuvius or Mount Etna], right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that nobody asked if Urobuchi's involvement was supposed to be a secret until the end of episode 3.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kajiura is also friends with Gen Urobuchi, the writer of the series, who specifically requested her involvement.

I'm a bit unclear if he means if he asked for Kajiura's involvement in Madoka or Fate/Zero. Just would like to know for trivia sake Laughing
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Quote:
Kajiura is also friends with Gen Urobuchi, the writer of the series, who specifically requested her involvement.

I'm a bit unclear if he means if he asked for Kajiura's involvement in Madoka or Fate/Zero. Just would like to know for trivia sake Laughing

It was my understanding at the panel that Kajiura was specifically asked for to work on Madoka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niyari

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Just curious, but was Madoka ever legally streamed outside of Japan while it was airing?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
Just curious, but was Madoka ever legally streamed outside of Japan while it was airing?

I believe that unsubtitled streams were made available on niconico, but I'm not sure if it was possible to watch them outside of Japan without fooling the site or not.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
If there's an anime premiere screening that rivaled the one at AnimeExpo (Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-), it is probably most likely this one. I don't know which room had a higher seating capacity but for the Last Exile screening it took nearly 2 hours just to finally get everyone seated, and the huge room was completely filled to capacity. The big pull that Last Exile had was that it was THE world premiere and well, because it was Last Exile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1