• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unethical to sell the second disk in the BD/DVD combo?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it unethical to sell the second disk in the BD/DVD combo?
-Bot Parking: $2 per hour/$50 for day-
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
No
76%
 76%  [ 48 ]
Undecided
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 63

PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Now that there's a wider release of the BD/DVD combos on the horizon, the debate is growing. From movies to anime, people are challenging the ethics of the situation. Therefore, I put it forth here.

Pros:
-Anime is legally purchased by both parties, reducing the need to pirate.

-Helps buyer offset costs, which can be used in future purchases.

Cons:
-Retailer/Distributor lose out. Note: There is no proof of this (on either side), though it's a common argument position.

My position is: No, it's not unethical. In fact, I'm going to take advantage of copyright law and sell those second disks as fast as buyers will take them.

Ethics is no longer a consideration when there are companies suing their fans.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, that's a good question. I think it's as ethical as selling anything else second hand. If you can buy only the second disc of a TV series online, why not just the BD or DVD portion of something? Heck, it might even be wise to go into buying something with someone and split the set up as is (I'd go in with a BD person and take the DVD set for me, though who would get the chipboard box....well maybe I can have it for series A and they can have it for B)
The question is if it's a good idea, it might ruin the collector's value after all.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why it'd be unethical to sell a product you paid for second-hand. There's no reason to keep a disc you don't want and don't really need (outside of collector value I guess) and the person buying from you is still doing everything by-the-book. It's way better than pirating, that's for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Ethical, but almost pointless unless you're selling by the bulk.

People just don't play much for a disc only. Even if you only keep the disc you want and sell the packaging with the one you don't want I just can't seeing yourself getting any significant money back on such a sale.

Just check out "disc only" sales on ebay, pathetic prices.

...I see some deluded individual is trying to sell EoE: Paradise Lost DVD only (with home printed art apparently) for $13

But that's some big seller, I guess he can afford to wait for a sucker buyer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't see it as any less ethical than reselling a used DVD/video.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I'd say it's only unethical if you misrepresent what you are selling. But if you are upfront about it having been part of combo pack then I don't see why it would be any different than selling anything else second hand.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Heck, it might even be wise to go into buying something with someone and split the set up...

Sadly for me, I don't have anyone to split the costs. Even if I found someone online, there's the shipping cost to contend with, which ruins the option.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
Even if you only keep the disc you want and sell the packaging with the one you don't want I just can't seeing yourself getting any significant money back on such a sale.

Depends on your definition of "significant". I believe a range of 30-40% of what I paid will be marketable, and to me, this is significant.

I'll see how it fairs out soon enough as my pre-orders are starting get closer to their maturity date.

I only intend to suck out the BDs and shill the rest. The King of Harts will be happy to know the boxes won't end up resting in a landfill.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a problem with it. Not much different than selling a loose dvd or game from your collection. Personally, I'll be keeping everything that comes with these combo boxes.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I can't really see how it would be wrong in itself.
By the way, how are public libraries and physical DVD places like Blockbuster (still exists, yes?) handling these packs? Splitting them up in separate cases to lend separately, or sticking both the DVD and the BD in the same case?
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
By the way, how are public libraries and physical DVD places like Blockbuster (still exists, yes?) handling these packs? Splitting them up in separate cases to lend separately, or sticking both the DVD and the BD in the same case?

I would guess that they will split them up. When I was a member of Netflix that was what they did on multi-disc sets, even to the point that if there was a separate disc with extras on it they would require you to request it by itself, apart from the other discs in the set.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't see any ethical problem. After all, Funamation is doing this for their benefit not yours. If they want to include two copies of a show they can't bitch if you dispose of one in some fashion. It is like the Geneon multi-disk sets that have "not for individual sale" on them. That applies only to the primary market, not to secondary market sales.

However, I don't see that selling them would be worth the effort, unless, like PJ, you were selling the package as well. Too much work for minimal payback.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
No, it's not unethical. You own it, you can sell it. If a company doesn't like that, then they can stop selling their customers only two copies at once.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely not, but for full disclosure: I don't think there is anything at all wrong with downloading BD-rips, even though I do buy a lot of anime BDs.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
I would say it's certainly more ethical than throwing it out. Believe it or not, I knew someone who threw out the DVD disc he got in a two pack. I'm a DVD man myself, but so far, I haven't had the unlucky opportunity to purchase a two pack with a disc I do not need.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
See nothing wrong with selling it. No different if one were to sell other items like cars or clothes. I can see two people splitting up the funds so that they each get a disk. Kind of a non-issue for the consumer. Only ones I can see to make a big stink are greedy type companies who want to control their distribute outlets for mass profit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2