• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam AGE's Promotional Videos Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
I'm torn on AGE, wile it does not look bad I'm not seeing much to really get excited about either.
Veceleste

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
I feel the same thing, I hope it turn like gundam 00. I loved it a lot!
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'm really liking what I see so far a lot. The character designs look like something out of Osamu Tezuka's works or maybe even Gigantor. It's got a simplistic, but old school charm to it. The same goes for the music. And the story concept of following a group of main characters through different periods of time sounds great. With Akihiro Hino on the helm, I'm sure this will do great. It reminds me somewhat of the old UC days. I have a feeling this will be a series a lot of people will overlook merely because it doesn't have enough bishis and all your favorite J-pop artist vocal inserts that the recent stuff does.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
I'm more concerned with the lack of an interesting antagonist. "unknown enemy" (UE) makes this sound like a bug hunt.
Yorae

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Unimpressed... it`s a step down from the animation quality from Gundam 00 and making the main character look like cartoon and with 14 years.... this is crap =/

Probably will look like any standard super-robot anime, not anything to really deserve the Gundam title. I`ll have to stick with Gundam Unicorn for now... x_x

Anime is having a really bad time in these last few years, most animes are crap, 90% are ecchi or childish and the other 10% are almost always complete shoujo experiences. Sad...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Yorae wrote:
Unimpressed... it`s a step down from the animation quality from Gundam 00 and making the main character look like cartoon and with 14 years.... this is crap =/

Probably will look like any standard super-robot anime, not anything to really deserve the Gundam title. I`ll have to stick with Gundam Unicorn for now... x_x

Anime is having a really bad time in these last few years, most animes are crap, 90% are ecchi or childish and the other 10% are almost always complete shoujo experiences. Sad...

You're right not like the good old days where we had M.D Geist, Angel Cop, Psychic Wars, and Bounty Dog, now where stuck with crap like FMA Brotherhood, Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspectors, Tiger and Bunny, and Fairy Tail.

Name me one good thing that Akihiro Hino has created, and you can't say the Dark Cloud Series, Professor Layton series, Rouge Galaxy, Jeanne D'Arc, and the Dragon Quest games his created.

Seriously, Akihiro Hino's track record is simply amazing, he can write for all ages, and I have no doubt that Gundam Age will be fantastic. It's trying to break out of the rut that Sunrise series have made where more emphasis seems to have been put on making the characters look nice than actual story. I don't want my characters to look like models because they tend to blend together, Frito and Wolf have two completely different design styles. One of the bridge members is a black guy who appears to have been created for other reasons than to be killed.

The reception of Gundam Age kind of tells me why Gundam hasn't had a hit in 9 years.
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
lol what is that... I feel sorry for gundam fans Laughing
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Son-kun's assessment on this.

I'm glad their trying something new instead of reheating older materiel.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The characters certainly look varied in terms of their sizes and shapes, but I still won't claim that they particularly interest me. Then again, I could give or take the designs as long as characterization makes up for it. Or, failing that, if something else manages to fill the void.

At the same time, I'm also relatively optimistic about this, despite the family friendly artistic sensibilities. The promotional video doesn't exactly tell me much, either way, but the generational concept still has a huge amount of potential and I'm willing to give the series a chance. It all depends on execution.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Yorae wrote:

I don't get all the bashing. Because it looks 'kiddy?

This looks far more 'adult' than SD Gundam Force did.

And it's not like G Gundam was the pinnacle of maturity either.

So those two shows 'deserve' the Gundam title but not this?
kyuden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly excited about this gundam to be honest.
I actually like the character designs and the coloring they look colorful enough.
Well if you think of it this way, Gundam Age IS targeted to the kiddies to make them buy those gundam models so it actually makes sense to have a character design to be that cartoony.

Story looks interesting too.
I mean 3 generations of pilots grandfather-father-son? (though i think it's not confirmed just my assumption)
UE or alies? or idk.
I mean seriously, we're barely scratching the Gundam Age series. it hasn't even started yet. I think there's a idiom/saying for that
"Don't judge a book by its cover"

P.s. I watched the whole gundam series from the first one. And I know how it feels to be an old school fan. All I'm saying is, give this series a chance. I mean really? people are bashing the series from a PREVIEW?

P.S.S
Main character age 14? hmm let's see uhm
I believe Amuro ray(15), kamille bidan(17), judau ashita (14),
Uso(13?). and some of the gundam boys in Wing are around that age... I'm not to sure about Gundam 00 and Seed and Destiny.
Keyl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Yorae wrote:

What's with the double standards here? Isn't the main character on Unicorn 16. There's like 2 years difference. Also the second main character (the son of the first main character) is 15 so there's 1 year difference. Look, 90% isn't ecchi. There's only 4 out of 20 anime next season that seems to actually have ecchi in it. That's 20% not 90%. Like Mr. T would say: Don't be a Foo'! Stay in Schoo'.

Also i love the design and the animation. It looks like a cross between modern animation and old-school design.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
kyuden wrote:
All I'm saying is, give this series a chance. I mean really? people are bashing the series from a PREVIEW?

When have we ever not do that? Laughing
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
What chance? Gundam was not, is not, will not be released in my country, so...
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
Yorae wrote:

90% Ecchi? You are kidding, right? You are, right? 2009: We had Shin Mazinger, We're getting Aquarion Evol soon, we had Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector, We had freaking Asura Cryin in 2009. We had Star Driver this year, we had IS this year as well. Also; because mecha are niche genre and shoujo actually sells. You sound like me.

Quote:
Gundam hasn't had a hit in 9 years.

SEED.

As for this; I'm excited. I don't see anything wrong with it. I actually like the designs (DAT SPOILER!) and like Titus and Swallow (Spallow?) resembling Spiegel and Bolt. This may be enjoyable for nothing more than entertainment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2