• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Please Save My Earth

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
I collected this series as it came out. The prior Christmas I bought the OVA release with my Christmas money, fell in love with it, and promptly started looking for the manga. I soon found out afterwards that it was licensed for release in America.

3.5 years - that's how long it took to collect the entire series. I was not a saint though and ended up reading the entire manga online IN ONE DAY/NIGHT. I was exhausted afterwards, but I couldn't stop reading.

Mokuren and Sakura are probably my favorite characters (yay, women with attitude and not just pushovers). And I personally really liked the ending. And unlike a lot of other fans spoiler[I really liked the Issei/Sakura pairing. I know many fans liked Jinpachi/Issei, but I was happy to see Issei become his own person. Also, as one of my favorite characters, I wanted Sakura to have a happy ending.]

Out of all of the characters, there was only one I didn't like (or didn't feel ambivalent towards) and that was Gyokuran. Jinpachi mostly outgrew his emotionally immature tendencies (other than teasing and embarassing Rin Laughing).

This is still my second favorite manga series to date (Chrono Crusade being the first).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
I really liked the OVA and have always wanted to check out the manga. Wish it wasn't so expensive... Sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is an old one, back when shoujo wasn't in vogue. I think it even started on Animerica. Laughing
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I heard of the anime version of this,not it's manga version. But really,I've never seen either one.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Its whole plot about reincarnation and themes of the characters being tied or breaking free of their pasts--I didn't know there was a manga with a story like this long before NG Life, released by Tokyopop. It was that kind of story that made NG Life so compelling, and glad that I collected it all before Tokyopop went under.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Huh, this article sure makes this manga sound interesting, I've never read it myself but I have heard of it... I might check it out if I ever get the chance. Very Happy

Last edited by Lightning Leo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this title a few times at the used book stores, but the title never seemed interesting enough for me to check it out. I had no idea this was the plot. So once again this column has me adding a title to the "look for at used book stores" list.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, Please Save My Earth is good manga. I put off reading it for years because I knew the rumours about certain hard-to-find volumes and was hesitant about starting such a long series, but when I happened across a used copy of v1, I snapped it up and started reading (I was reading it in the middle of the grocery store at one point) and I knew I had to find the rest of the series! (and I did, over the next three months. I was extremely lucky to find a couple volumes on Powell's Books website.) It's been said before, but I'd love to see Viz rerelease this series for new readers' enjoyment. And hey, I'd like the sequel too please! (more cats? yay!)

pachy_boy wrote:
Its whole plot about reincarnation and themes of the characters being tied or breaking free of their pasts--I didn't know there was a manga with a story like this long before NG Life, released by Tokyopop. It was that kind of story that made NG Life so compelling, and glad that I collected it all before Tokyopop went under.

I only recently read NG Life, but I'm glad I was able to find it before it became scarce. Oyayubihime Infinity, from CMX, is another series I really enjoyed with reincarnation themes. Assuming it's not impossible to find (I haven't looked recently), I recommend it! And Hiwatari-sensei's other work published in English (again by dear old CMX), Tower of the Future, also has reincarnation themes.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been curious about Please Save My Earth since I read the Buried Treasures column about the OVA (lordy, I seem to bring Buried Treasures up a lot) and this column certainly redoubles that interest. The prospect of gathering it all is, however, daunting. I'll probably try to do it, but that will take some 'ginning up'.

I had heard of it before, but disregarded it because the title suggested some tedious environmentalist yarn. (I prefer my tedious messages presented drily in essays and articles, not corrupting fiction) But what I've read about it and so many people mentioning that they read it compulsively are promising signs. I've become more interested in emotional, character-driven stories as I've gone on through life and this one seems built upon an intriguing premise. I especially interested in stories that put doubt upon the identity of the characters in interesting, consequential ways.

The way that the ending was described actually made me more interested in it. Sometimes I really like subdued finales, especially if the provide a contrast to what lead up them, although succeeding in that requires considerable fine tuning to not feel jarring or sloppy.

willag wrote:
(yay, women with attitude and not just pushovers).

I'll second that cheer.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
This is my absolute favorite manga series! I love it! I watched the OVA before they released the manga. I was so glad when it started coming out. I bought each volume as it was released. I would also enjoy more of the cat. He's quite cool. I'd love it if they'd put the sequel out here. I'd buy it up in a second. I had no problems with the ending. I really enjoyed how twisted some things got. Thanks for writing about this one!
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
I Finished the Anime 2 days ago and thought it was good. Everyone says the Manga is a lot better so now I'm in the process of reading it. Best part about the OVA had to be Kyaa. OMG, he's so cute. Especially when he had the Sunglasses on. Very Happy

Last edited by taster of pork on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
I remember reading about the OVA based on this series in a book a decade or so ago back when I was first getting into anime and trying to learn as much as I could about it. It's always stuck in the back of my mind because the premise seemed really interesting, but I've never actually seen the OVA or read the manga. Thanks for reminding me about this series, it sounds great!

willag wrote:
This is still my second favorite manga series to date (Chrono Crusade being the first).

Ooh, Chrono Crusade is my favorite manga, too. That makes me want to read Please Save My Earth even more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nephtis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
I was actually going to buy volume 1 yesterday, turns out it's out of print Sad
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I remember reading about the OVA based on this series in a book a decade or so ago back when I was first getting into anime and trying to learn as much as I could about it. It's always stuck in the back of my mind because the premise seemed really interesting, but I've never actually seen the OVA or read the manga. Thanks for reminding me about this series, it sounds great!

Ooh, Chrono Crusade is my favorite manga, too. That makes me want to read Please Save My Earth even more.

Girl, something tells me you and I would get along. This past week has been an eye-opening experience. Rosette is one of my favorite characters ever, and her relationship with Chrono is like my posterchild of some of my favorite relationships. That's why I ended up despising the anime so much (well, the relationship between R/C wasn't changed too much; however, the characters were altered so much that it absolutely bugged me... especially Rosette being made into a slave doll with special powers she couldn't control - God, I was so pissed).

Anyways, Basara is probably my third favorite, with Emma coming up fourth, just to give you a little more of my tastes.

Also, where are all the fans? I swear I've seen this manga mentioned several times on these boards as something collectors were proud they had. sailorsarah is obviously a fan with her Shion/Mokuren avatar (nice avvie by the way) and Lys, but where's everyone else?

I kind of wonder if Basara is more popular or more well-known than PSME (or if they're about the same level of obscurity). I'd be curious to hear the fan response after it appears in Jason's House of 1000 Manga.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:

Anyways, Basara is probably my third favorite, with Emma coming up fourth, just to give you a little more of my tastes.

Also, where are all the fans? I swear I've seen this manga mentioned several times on these boards as something collectors were proud they had. sailorsarah is obviously a fan with her Shion/Mokuren avatar (nice avvie by the way) and Lys, but where's everyone else?

I kind of wonder if Basara is more popular or more well-known than PSME (or if they're about the same level of obscurity). I'd be curious to hear the fan response after it appears in Jason's House of 1000 Manga.

Thanks! Basara is also one of my favorites! Along with Ceres and of course Sailor Moon, which he has done articles on. And anything by Ai Yazawa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2