• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Baka and Test Blu-Ray + DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
This was a total blind buy for me, since I like the umm, "fanart" I've seen of Hideyoshi. I'm always in the mood for an alluring "trap".

I had the opposite reaction, though. I prefer the high school romantic hijinks and pratfalls to the battles, since I have low standards in being amused. I believe the upcoming sequel TV series will be totally side stories, which will probably appeal to me more and to Theron less.

I also loved the bold, saturated colours. Baka and Test is a series that was obviously animated with a fraction of the budget that K-On! had, the only other anime series I currently have on Blu-Ray, and it shows, but, on the other hand, the deep, deep colours almost make the show seem like a cheerful crayon drawing come to life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed this show more than I thought I would, and I actually thought the animation was quite good(especially the OP) even though it was a tad simplistic sometimes. I also thought this sort of clean looking animation was perfect for Blu-Ray and was very impressed with how it looked...
I didn't catch the blooper in the dub though, will anyone please care to elaborate?
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
I actually ended up pretty much marathoning this via Netflix a few weeks back (and it's currently the only series I have watched completely on my Nintendo 3DS. Lol.), and aside from the back stock of DVD's that I never got to pick up when they were on store shelves, this is one series that I want to go out and grab right now. I dunno, for me, a lot of the newer anime series around these days have lost the spirit of what I liked about anime in the first place (of course, a few exceptions here and there like Squid Girl and The World God Only Knows), but Baka & Test left me with a warm feeling inside and a stupid smile on my face.

Quote:
I didn't catch the blooper in the dub though, will anyone please care to elaborate?

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. I never caught anything while I watched it. I'd like some insight as well.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
*kisses Netflix (despite all its recent issues)

This service saved me some dough with this one as I would have been a sucker to the box art, leading to a blind buy. Had I purchased this first, I would have been furious I wasted my $40+.

This isn't to say it's not worthy of a purchase, but this asking price is too much for the market value of those very few laughs.

And very few they were. Comedy is obviously subjective, but I had really hoped the unique premise would be used in unique ways (like Ramen Fighter Miki), but no. Instead, we get the same, tired cliches of bad cooking and leads completely oblivious two girls are interested in him (while we endure the antics with a couple where the male doesn't want the interest).

Small spoiler, but this isn't really hurting anything, but the Biggest Idiot Ever receives a token prize for winning a scavenger hunt and he's the only one who can use it. Again, a perfect premise to bring something new to the table, but instead it's played so predictably, the climax is ruined for the drama it did set up.

Perhaps this is the blooper Theron was hinting at. Neutral

I can agree with the grade for a one-time watch, as despite its flaws, can still be somewhat enjoyable, but no way when it comes to selling plastic disks.

Caveat Emptor, readers. Comedy is subjective.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
Forte-sama wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. I never caught anything while I watched it. I'd like some insight as well.

In one of the middle-to-late episodes one of the English VAs slipped, paused, and then repeated a word. It happened quickly but I distinctly caught it both times that I watched that episode. Sadly, I did not write down at the time exactly where it happened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
I usually loathe running gags, but for some reason I don't mind them as much in Baka to Test. It's probably because the characters are just so darn like-able, even the one-note characters like Shoko and Hideyoshi (although Muttsulinni blows). I get at least a couple laughs from every episode - especially when Shoko is tormenting Yuji. I also recommend the OVA's, which are very nicely animated and have the best summon battle up to this point.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
That Evangelion parody is perhaps the funniest scene I've ever seen. I didn't catch it immediately, but when I did, I almost died. I then proceeded to watch it again, and again, and again. When they did the screaming over the radio, I lost it. Just fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
That Evangelion parody is perhaps the funniest scene I've ever seen. I didn't catch it immediately, but when I did, I almost died. I then proceeded to watch it again, and again, and again. When they did the screaming over the radio, I lost it. Just fantastic.

And the Principal in classic Gendo Ikari pose. Plus the icons on the big screen when the emergency happened. The synch wave graph going out of phase. All sorts of stuff in that episode. The actual plot wasn't very impressive, but the parody was excellent.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Forte-sama wrote:
Quote:

In one of the middle-to-late episodes one of the English VAs slipped, paused, and then repeated a word. It happened quickly but I distinctly caught it both times that I watched that episode. Sadly, I did not write down at the time exactly where it happened.

......so, we pretty much have to watch episodes 6 and up. Lol.

I'm actually a little surprised there was no mention of the Code Geass or Darkstalkers references in the review.

Also, random oddness, you can pick up the Limited Edition release of Baka & Test for almost $7 cheaper than the normal DVD/Blu-Ray release over at TRSI ($41.99 VS. $48.74).
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Forte-sama wrote:
I'm actually a little surprised there was no mention of the Code Geass or Darkstalkers references in the review.

If you'll notice, I only took one example each from anime, Western movies, and games, even though there were multiples of each.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I like the boxart... I remember when this was talked about on Shelf Life. It seems like something I could see myself watching when I just want to turn off my brain. I just wish Netflix had the option to watch things either subbed or dubbed. I guess if you said that the dub really was solid though, I can give this one a shot.
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
It's funny. Absolutely. But I think you can enjoy it better if you don't take it very seriously. That's why I bought it (came with the little fridge magnet you can write on)
If you like romance in you comedies, then you should REALLY lower your expectations on this one. Just watch it for the laughs.

Also, the second season (available on FUNimation's website) is boring the living hell out of me. So yeah, if FUNi decides to release the second season, then it MIGHT be a bargain bin purchase for me. I really need to watch or read something before I fall asleep.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
I'm actually a bit surprised that this didn't get a better rating. This show is easily one of the funniest shows that I have ever seen. It's absolutely hilarious. But it is true that the relatively rare occasions when they try to be super serious or have any kind of emotional weight, it often falls a bit flat (though sometimes it actually works well). Still, the vast majority of the show is pure comedy, and it's comedy gold.

On a side note, I'm actually quite surprised that this show got a TV-14 rating. IIRC, it got TV-MA when it was posted by Funimation for streaming when it initially aired, and I would have thought that the sister alone would put it in TV-MA territory with her behavior. It makes me wonder if it was a typo on the box.

Regardless, this is a fantastic series, and I eagerly await the second season.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
I don't recall any blooper...

Man, now you're gonna make me go back and rewatch the entire series just so I can keep an ear open for a repeated word slip.. Evil or Very Mad
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that one of the problem with the first season is its "serious moments", especially seeing as how they weren't really all that serious. That being said, the second season flips that right around by going 100% serious for 2 separate flash-back episodes and doing it exceptionally well. It was a classic case of a show putting out something far above what it should have been capable of. It was quite surprising, really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1