• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Ray Season 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sensui is frightening; all the more so because his bloodlust is born from his purity of heart

I remember the scenes in which spoiler[his personality changes were amazing and the fact that the first Sensui was actually a calmed one, but real one's introduction epic.]
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
I prefer the English Dub over the Japanese Dub any day.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
Definitely agree Chapter Black was the best arc. I remember buying the singles back in the day and agonizing every time a disc would end and I'd have to wait so long for the next one to come out. Sensui is indeed a great villain and shows why Yusuke makes for such a good hero. Where Sensui's pure heart was easily corrupted spoiler[ upon seeing the horrific side of humanity], Yusuke lives less in black and white and more in a moral grey area. He's not some crusader, he just does what's needed to protect the people he cares about. Yusuke can adapt where Sensui breaks.

The last arc after this one was a little disappointing to me. It's still good entertainment from one of my favorite shows, but I feel like it was wrapped up WAAAAY too quickly. But, that's a discussion for when the last set comes out.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The showdown against Gamemaster ends in typical shonen fashion, but the way it gets there is definitely not. It was very interesting to see gamesmanship being used to throw an otherwise superior opponent off balance, which happens quite often in real-life competitions but is rarely seen in fiction. I personally found Kurama vs. Gamemaster to be my favorite duel of the entire series.

Of course, Sensui is still the most impressive villain, as he's very much like Yusuke, in more ways than just his former job. Sensui is also a way of showing Yusuke of what might happen to him, and his taking of it to heart aids him tremendously in the next arc, when the conflict becomes personal.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Definitely agree Chapter Black was the best arc. I remember buying the singles back in the day and agonizing every time a disc would end and I'd have to wait so long for the next one to come out. Sensui is indeed a great villain and shows why Yusuke makes for such a good hero. Where Sensui's pure heart was easily corrupted spoiler[ upon seeing the horrific side of humanity], Yusuke lives less in black and white and more in a moral grey area. He's not some crusader, he just does what's needed to protect the people he cares about. Yusuke can adapt where Sensui breaks.

The last arc after this one was a little disappointing to me. It's still good entertainment from one of my favorite shows, but I feel like it was wrapped up WAAAAY too quickly. But, that's a discussion for when the last set comes out.

From what I read, Chapter Black was meant to be YuYu's final arc, but Togashi was forced to make another arc by his editors with fight spoiler[that only the anime focused on. The manga's ending was kind of anticlimatic as a result as it moved to random stories.]
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

From what I read, Chapter Black was meant to be YuYu's final arc, but Togashi was forced to make another arc by his editors with fight spoiler[that only the anime focused on. The manga's ending was kind of anticlimatic as a result as it moved to random stories.]

That's interesting. I didn't realize Chapter Black was supposed to be the final arc, but that makes sense why the rest of it after wouldn't feel as well paced. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in the final arc of the anime, but it's definitely not as well thought-out.

I've always meant to read the manga, since, as I've stated, YuYu is one of my all-time favorite shows, but I've never gotten around to it. I've always been curious how it compares during the last part of the show, since I'd heard it had a different ending.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
sainta wrote:

That's interesting. I didn't realize Chapter Black was supposed to be the final arc, but that makes sense why the rest of it after wouldn't feel as well paced. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in the final arc of the anime, but it's definitely not as well thought-out.

I've always meant to read the manga, since, as I've stated, YuYu is one of my all-time favorite shows, but I've never gotten around to it. I've always been curious how it compares during the last part of the show, since I'd heard it had a different ending.

Personally, I found that the anime ended better than the manga spoiler[as the former gave a quiet but good final episode and did a good job creating the fights from the tournament only commented in the manga.]
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
This is a really great older titled anime, I decided to purchase the series when Funi finally put out the completed season sets it took a long time to see those in the stores where I'm from, so to see them now in Blu-ray is great. This is one of the better story arcs I always remember that one scene where Yusuke says: "This is between you and me! Well, you and you and you and you and you and you and you and me".
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I prefer the English Dub over the Japanese Dub any day.

that there is an understatment. Especially the eng dub for this series.

Sure the script is so loose that there are those that think of it as a rewrite, but it works.

However they should have redid the english dub with the original japaneese scripts and the original japaneese Opening & Ending for the Blue Ray Releases at lease. If they can remake the eng dub for the dragonball z franchise, they sure could try doing the same for this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Umino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

However they should have redid the english dub with the original japaneese scripts and the original japaneese Opening & Ending for the Blue Ray Releases at lease.

Noooo....no original OP/EDs?! D: I just shelled out the dough for the entire series. It bothers me that FUNi doesn't give you the option for Japanese or English credits for their OP/EDs anymore. That's part of the reason as to why I started purchasing DVDs back in the days when all they mainly had was DBZ and then branched out into other titles. Sigh. At least I have my singles DVD collection<3.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
Umino wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

However they should have redid the english dub with the original japaneese scripts and the original japaneese Opening & Ending for the Blue Ray Releases at lease.

Noooo....no original OP/EDs?! D: I just shelled out the dough for the entire series. It bothers me that FUNi doesn't give you the option for Japanese or English credits for their OP/EDs anymore. That's part of the reason as to why I started purchasing DVDs back in the days when all they mainly had was DBZ and then branched out into other titles. Sigh. At least I have my singles DVD collection<3.

wow. where have you been sleeping all this time?

Funi have been doing this with some series since they came to existence.

They always have a nasty habbit of using English Openings and Endings with their VA. Sometimes cause they choose it to keep it that way for some weird reason,and for other times ,it's cheaper to to their own op & ed than to get the license for the originals which have a nasty habbit of costing a lot.

Luckily their english openings and endings are decent enough, and using that series VA for the Opening & Ending is also a plus,even though it's kind of a gimick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Umino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

wow. where have you been sleeping all this time?

Funi have been doing this with some series since they came to existence.

They always have a nasty habbit of using English Openings and Endings with their VA. Sometimes cause they choose it to keep it that way for some weird reason,and for other times ,it's cheaper to to their own op & ed than to get the license for the originals which have a nasty habbit of costing a lot.

Luckily their english openings and endings are decent enough, and using that series VA for the Opening & Ending is also a plus,even though it's kind of a gimick.

I think you misunderstood me. When I meant OP/ED credits, I meant the text credits(producers, animators, staff, etc.). Old titles like FMA, Peach Girl and YYH, you can use the angle feature on your DVD player to select whether you want to see Japanese credits or English credits.

I can't think of titles that they have changed their OP/EDs to be only English. Can you list some of them? Also, the only title I can think of at the moment is Eden of the East where the OP theme was changed from the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1