• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2005 April Fools Jokes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
OK...Let me just say that I forgot that it was April Fool's day and believed EVERY SINGLE ONE of these!!! I called my friend FLIPPING OUT about the "Naruto" story. AND I tried to figure out which actresses could fit the "Eiken" roles (I thought MINKA would have to be one of them, for sure!).

So, where is the April Fool........................................
................................> right here!

Good one!
OTP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly enough, the one thing I thought was surely an April Fool's joke (Powerpuff Girls anime) apparently wasn't. Go figure.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
...No Godzilla joke this year. I=sad.

And there were less this year too...*sniifs*
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, those are NOT the PowerPuff Girls! Wasn't the original an "anime" anyway?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who believed those April Fool's jokes as the truth should be banned from the internet forever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sango chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
lol, that was just too crule. lol I actually believed the Naruto thing and I told my friend about it yesterday. lol. I didn't think they did things like that on here. lol. And also I thought PPG was already an anime.
Depression

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Powerpuff Girls were an original creation by Craig McCracken who works for Cartoon Network and the animation for the show was done by CN. Thus PPG is not an anime show since the animation was not done it Japan or by a Japanese company but instead just an American Cartoon.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
No, but what they are referring to, the new PPG anime, will be created in Japan. Making it an anime BASED off of an american cartoon.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
No, but what they are referring to, the new PPG anime, will be created in Japan. Making it an anime BASED off of an american cartoon.

Depression was referring to a question asked by BlaqNumbr9. And he's (she's?) quite right. The Powerpuff Girls were originally created right here in the States, even though you can see heavy influences from elsewhere. Just like jazz and Chicago-style pizza. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
And like how Toronto Blue Jays is a AL Baseball. And that comment puts me up there with their winning record. Although the PPG anime is a odd twist of fate (Huh, Anime based off an Cartoon. Why do I keep hearing "That's a first."), we should inbrace it, unless it blows.

Back to the topic at hand (I'm in the AF '05 topic right?), some of the other sites did pull some nasties. Take... some Naturo site, post the upcoming opening song, but to the shock of others, it was not. Ohh, burn. Razz But yes, Naruto and the talking hamstars did take the cake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The_Marshal_AEB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:50 am Reply with quote
its not funny i think ill not trust this ANN again

while writen up there "the most trusted anime news source"

you shouldn't keep going with that name anymore
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:21 am Reply with quote
The_Marshal_AEB wrote:

Oh jeez, even major news networks and newspapers have made pranks in the past. Lighten up. You should have known it was coming.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm thinking this = joke as well. I hope.

"its" should be "It's" ("its" is possesive, and it is at the beginning of a sentence here); "i" should be capitilized, "ill" should be spelled "I'll" (with a caps and an apostrophe), and you're missing two other punctuations here... and that's just the first sentence. I call "troll", although somebody whose spelling and grammar are that atrocious MIGHT be stupid enough to believe all that AF crap, you never know.

Also... "trusted" just means it's trusted by a lot of people. People obviously can be misled, silly. Razz You have to take everything on the internet with a grain of salt anyway.

Mugglenet.com, one of the most popular Harry Potter websites on the net, posted a joke saying that Warner Bros. had shut the site down - that's a lot crueler than posting should-have-been-easily-spottable AF news stories like "Ebichu gets liscensed by 4Kids" (anybody who's checked out the ANN Encyclopedia entry for it knows it is an adults-only anime that's sexually explicit), or "Viz unliscenses bigtime moneymaker Naruto because of the emails from crazed parenting groups and decides to invest the money in developing a real-life talking hamster".

I wouldn't have believed the Naruto one in the first place. Sorry, but if you believed it? Either you didn't read the whole piece (in which case, shame on you - you should pay more attention to the news that concerns or interests you), or you're just plain, well, stupid. I mean, come on! Viz deciding to unliscense it because of concerned parents when they KNOW it's a big money maker? And deciding, furthermore, to invest the money from it instead into developing a talking hamster? No offense, but how dumb do you have to be to believe that?

To quote:

Quote:
"We began to feel uncomfortable with the idea of making piles of cash from the show," a Viz representative told ANN. "After several parent advocacy groups showed us the error of our ways, we felt it was the only logical decision."

Riiight. Capitilism rolls over and dies in the face of a few nasty emails from busybody soccer moms. Rolling Eyes

And of course, the part that can't possibly have fooled any but the stupidest people on the face of the Earth:

Quote:
When asked how this would impact their licensing plans for 2005, the Viz representative gave another stunning response. "With California's new stem cell initiative and the breakthroughs at Johns Hopkins in placing human stem cells in rats, we asked ourselves: why not hamsters? Imagine, a real-life talking hamster! That would shut up all those folks who keep mocking Hamtaro."

Right. Sure. So realistic, it's scary. I can oh-so-easily believe that people mistook this for a real news story after reading THAT part! Rolling Eyes

I will admit that, had I gotten a chance to see it on the first, I may have been taken in by the "Pop Fighter" story, if only because... hello? Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi? And that t.A.T.u. show that almost got made? It's surprisingly plausible. That one was actually pretty sneaky. Cool

You know, technically, by actual Japanese terminology, PPG is in fact already an anime. Anime just means animation over in Japan, not just (what to them is) domestic animation. Also, since Cartoon Network already has a Japanese branch, and since they have a good hearty amount of Japanese animation in their programming, and since the PPG are technically "magical girls", and happen to look (I'm sure on purpose) like "chibi"-style characters to begin with... it's not surprising to me that they're thinking of making a version as a Japanese anime. In one episode, Bubbles even is shown being a fan of a children's manga, and reading it out load - in Japanese! Surprised

I may not have believed the PPG anime story on the first of April either, though. It does actually seem kind of silly to me to be making a seperate version when there's already a Japanese dub. That's like remaking Sailor Moon as an American cartoon, even with the English dub being out there (then again, SM has a live action version that has a LOT of differences, so maybe the Japanese version of PPG will have a lot of differences as well).

- Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
naraku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
i was kinda mad cause im a big fan of naruto
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Did Bamboo come up with the Idea for the Eiken one?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2