• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you prefer to buy anime New or Used?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you prefer to buy anime New or Used
Spambots be trollin, yo
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Only New
35%
 35%  [ 44 ]
Only Used
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A Combination (sometimes new, sometimes used)
58%
 58%  [ 72 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 124

The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Poll made at the request of shadow13.

I went with Combination. While I mostly buy items released in the last few years new, when I have to dig around for singles or older box sets I'll take whatever I can, though I still prefer new as long as it's not significantly more expensive.

With new items you know what you're getting and usually from a reputable source that have to abide by standards. Meanwhile, with used items, you can run into asses that put different discs in the case, mislabel the condition of their items, run into bootlegs, or any other problems. While I myself haven't had a lot of these issues, it's still a thought in the back of my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I go for a combination, as long as the used item is still in good shape, I don't mind. And it saves me money! Sometimes I'll try and trade, gives us both a "new' anime for just the cost of shipping.
Of course, then you see prices like TRSI's 12 days sale and why would you not go for new at those prices?

Same for manga, as long as its used in decent condition, and not an ex-library book (unless I literally cannot find it any other way without keeping all my organs), I'll go for it. I'm good at getting sticker residue off stuff so stickers don't bother me too too much.

Now, there are certain things in life that I buy the more expensive version of, like organic milk, but anime and manga are not one of them for me. If buying used gives me more bang for my buck, so be it, and if I'm that impatient, I'll get it new. On sale...
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I always look for new first. When I can't find it, then I'll settle for used. I don't mind paying more for a new product, because I have a pretty good idea of what I'll be getting. When you buy used, you never really know. In my experience, the hassles you sometimes encounter when buying used more than than balance the extra cost of buying new, but sometimes there really is no other option.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
If the anime is new I generally prefer to buy new. On the other hand, if its a reissue with less goodies I may opt for an older version that has an artbox and singles which usually means some of the singles may be used. Also if its OOP and I want it bad then I have no choice but to go to used selections, but I have my limit on what I'm willing to pay. If its several hundred dollars, then I'll just sigh and give up on it. I guess I'm just not hardcore enough to spend hundreds of dollars on a set of DVDs.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I prefer to buy my anime cheap, which means a good portion is bought used. But the majority were from bargain sales and technically "new."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Usually depends on the title or what's already in my collection. If I already have a few volumes of a series, I'll normally try to pick up the remaining volumes from that same run, which usually means used. For example, I recently finished purchasing the remaining volumes of Serial Experiments Lain, which I originally started buying waaaaay back before even the Geneon Signature Series run, back when they still had Pioneer logos on the cases. Not only is Lain out-of-print at this point (at least to my knowledge), but that run was out-of-print long before any other editions that came out afterwards.

Beyond that, I'll usually try to snag a current box set (gave up buying in volumes looong ago, though I do still have some stray loose ends to tie up). In that sense, I try to go with new copies, but if I find good enough deals (got the entirety of Escaflowne for $2 thanks to a good deal on the used box sets and some store credit), or a new copy is just too expensive for what I think the series to be worth, I'll go used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
Almost always new, but will fill holes and settle for used for hard-to-find stuff or replacements.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
As with everyone else I voted for the combination option. I'd prefer to buy new but with anime's tendency to quickly fall out of print, that is not always possible. I just don't have the capital to buy everything I want while it's still in print and in stock.

One-Eye wrote:
On the other hand, if its a reissue with less goodies I may opt for an older version that has an artbox and singles which usually means some of the singles may be used.

I'm the same way. FUNi's release of Gankutsuo doesn't have all the extras from Geneon's release. So, if I ever decide to pick that up, it's Geneon's release I'll be tracking down.
archaron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
When a release has an artbox I prefer to get it new, but otherwise I am pretty open. As long as it is legit and is in working condition I don't mind used.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
New only.

1. I almost always buy when a series first comes out which makes used not an option.

2. The few items I bought used in the past didn't work out. I no longer even look for used items now.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Generally I have no choice but to buy new, as the second hand market here is absolutely pitiful. I have had a few bargains from used DVD shops though. I wouldn't trust buying second hand DVDs online unless I could be absolutely certain they weren't bootlegged.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm a girl with an eye for a bargain, so unless it's an impulse buy at Best Buy, trying to spend store credit at FYE, or a brand-spankin'-new release, I usually buy newer DVDs when they're on sale, be it a daily/weekly/seaonal/studio sale or a bargain bin. I will sometimes pay full price for ones at cons, but then those are usually OOP discs and even full MSRP is a bargain compaired for what they might go for online.

As such, I've actually bought a fair share of anime and manga used and have been extremely lucky with it - I've yet to encounter an unscrupulous seller or poor quality materials. I stick to a few trusted sources - my local FYE, Anime Castle, and half.com. I've occasionally found a few treasures for cheap at the first, I've frequently bought from the second with no issues save for the odd cosmetic defect on a couple of manga, and with the last I usually aim for a combination of a reasonable price and decent quality - maybe not "Like New", but more along the lines of "Very Good" or even "Acceptable."
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I prefer new if I can get it that way. I believe only 2 of my purchases (for myself) were previously owned items: Spirited Away, which was my first anime purchase ever, and Nanoha A's, which was out of print and out of stock at every retailer I tried.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
The only time I buy anime or manga used is if a series is out of print, otherwise I like to buy everything new.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I too chose the combination; although I mostly buy new, I've bought used stuff when the title is out of print. I've occasionally bought used to save money, but only rarely and usually on old things. Sometimes used is the only way I can get a title I really want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3