• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Age CG Anime Film's New Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
Looks like hard D&D and none of that fanservice. Laughing
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
"The film serves as a prologue to next year's Dragon Age II."

Dragon Age 2 was already released. I assume they meant "this year's Dragon Age II" as Dragon Age 3 will probably not be released next year.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
I think the "next year" part is referring to the Japanese release date; at the end of the trailer it has an ad for "DA II" with a date of 2/2/12.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
Wow. That didn't look as terrible as I thought it was going to be. Definitely going to be worth checking out. Probably.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Looks like there might well be hope for funi's co-productions then... i wonder what the mass effect one is gonna be like Rolling Eyes imma gonna buy this when it comes out nontheless.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I read about this on Kotaku weeks ago before ANN put a article on this. I'm mixed on the animation because this is not what I want to see for Dragon Age anime, I wanted the animation to look more like this.

The Production IG animation would've fit for Dragon Age, let see how this one does. I'm scared it may not fare well and it may cause setback for Funimation. I want Mass Effect to be like this as this person on deviantart did, somebody from Funimation like Lance should be reading my post. Maybe that would get them on the right direction.

meruru wrote:
Dragon Age 2 was already released. I assume they meant "this year's Dragon Age II" as Dragon Age 3 will probably not be released next year.

I think they mean for the Japanese release of Dragon Age 2 game, the First one came out 2 years after the US release. Dragon Age 2 should come out in Japan on Feb 2. So yeah I guess the movie is trying to coincide with DA 2's Japanese release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Wait, is this still a co-production with Funimation?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
There's something really bothersome with that woman's battle cry.
AnimeGuy1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
WTF... I've played all both DA games and the expansion and this looks nothing like the games. I only saw like 3 things in the trailer that tied this to the DA franchise. The art style and the animation are all off IMO.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Tekken movie had nice animation. This one doesn't look that great.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote
I think I'll give this one a go, when it's eventually released in North America. I'll probably be rooting for the Dragons, though. They always seem to get a bad reputation. (Same reason I generally root for Godzilla!) Very Happy
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Despite the name the Dragon Age storyline is more of a conflict between magic users and the rest than anything else, at least as they have setup the scenario starting after Dragon Age 2. In the original game there was the whole blight to worry about, but the blight itself was caused by mages who thousands of years ago flipped out and turned evil from seeking too much power.

This of course is also not completely outside the norm for a story. The film seems to center around blood magic, which I think is very much true to Dragon Age. Blood mages are feared and reviled by pretty much everybody and for good reason.
Adidaas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I played both Dragon Ages with music coming from my computer, usually the OSTs of various medieval anime. Occasionally the opening song would come up and I'd imagine a whacky anime like opening for the games. So it's quite funny for me to see this trailer and hearing some Gackt. I can only hope someday they'll make a Dragon Age anime with the .hack opening then the world will no longer make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1