• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the flying dutchmen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No listing. Put reasons for your choices. -TK]
Amorok

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
1. Berserk: A truly exquisite -- and in my opinion underappreciated -- anime with a deeply philosophical tilt, tragic characters, and one of the most heart-wrenching finales I have ever seen. I am, simply put, in love with this anime, and I urge everyone to run out and purchase it this very moment to show your support for Kentaro Miura's scintillating genius. Then go get the manga.
2. Last Exile: This is a quality anime, 'nuff said. The cels are beautifully shaded and the writing blows your average run-of-the-mill anime series out of the water. Also, if you're a fan of steampunk, you have no excuse not to watch it.
3. Yu Yu Hakusho: It's a classic. Sure, it has a repetitive plot and more Mary/Gary Sues than you can shake a stick at, but it's so thoroughly entertaining I can't bring myself to care.
4. Vampire Princes Miyu: Alright, so the manga is vastly superior to the OVA, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. I'm a huge fan of the art style, and Miyu is one of the few strong, sympathetic, but not-overdone female characters in anime.
5. Escaflowne: A classic anime that takes place in an elaborate world of high fantasy, battle mechs, and giant airships. In many ways, Escaflowne is a departure from your typical fantasy anime -- many of which seem shallow and rely too heavily on cliche tropes and flat archetypal characters -- but Escaflowne escapes many of the pitfalls of its genre. Not all of them, but many.
6. Hunter X Hunter: Like all of Togashi's work, this anime is just… fun. I don't know how else to phrase it. There's a good blend of action, humor, characterization, and a whole heaping pile of adventure. I watched this series as a middle schooler, but I feel like it would appeal to adults who are looking for a lighthearted and humorous anime with likable characters and a fast-paced storyline.
7. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo: Because. The art. Good god, the ART. It is gorgeous.
8. Ouran High School Host Club: Art is so-so, but Hatori's sense of humor is golden. OHSHC is what Fruits Basket should have been, but fell sadly short. While it is a humorous anime, this anime will occasionally jump out and surprise you with its in-depth character analysis/development and random insights.
9. Fujimi Orchestra: Yes, a yaoi. But a surprisingly deep one that leaves you pondering long after it's over. A somewhat tragic story about misunderstanding and unrequited feelings.
10. Angel Sanctuary: Another anime that I'm listing primarily for the art, but also because of the elaborate and intricately-realized world in which the story takes place. And by world, I mean Kaori Yuki's rather creative re-imagining of Christian mythology. I imagine this series would piss off a lot of fundamentalist Christians. Wink
HooknSwoop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
So I came to these forums in order to look for new animes to watch. I've never read a manga and probably never will in the near future. I have also never played through a single VN, but I think the first one will be the Steins;Gate VN once the translated version comes out.

Anyway, while browsing through the lists here, I couldn't help myself from posting my own. I must say though that it's really hard for me to post the top 3's in this "list", since they all left great emotional footprints as well as "blabbering" to my friends to go watch the animes! I'd like to say that all top 3's should be #1, but yeah you get the point.

Also take note that I haven't really watched that many animes in total, I guess I've been lucky when picking out animes that I like. (I have obviously seen Death Note, but I'm not including it in the list since it seems to be after lurking through these forums that one shouldn't even post here without seeing Death Note haha (which I loved by the way)).

10. Shaman King - This is the anime that started it all (Well I was watching Atom and Crayon Shin Chan as a kid but they don't count) for me. 64 Episode + 1 OVA, it's a long journey for Asakura Yoh who wishes to become the Shaman King. Spirits can be "merged" with various tools to become great weapons. There are some great characters, quite childish in a way. I don't think this show was intended for an audience above the age of 16 really.

9. Full Metal Alchemist - I've seen the "original" season as well as Brotherhood and the movie. I hear that another movie is coming out so I'm excited for that as well. I think the amount of episodes are a bit too much for my taste (I prefer when an anime has about 20-25 episodes), but great characters like Edward, Mustang, Winry more than makes up for it. Interesting story too.

8. Claymore - This was my first "adult action" anime that I watched. Basically badass girls with huge swords slaying monsters/demons. I got somewhat disappointed at the ending though. Lost of gore and action but some drama as well.

7. Soul Eater - This anime really reminded me of Shaman King in a way, but a bit more "mature" in a way. All the characters are unique in their own way and you'll definitely enjoy all of them all more or less. The action/fighting visuals are pretty well done as well. Another reason I kept watching is because of Blair (Best cat ever)!

6. Samurai Champloo - This anime had a really nice soundtrack and likable characters. I think they could have put slightly more into the character development since the story wasn't really that great (well not really story is quite simple but nothing more to it). I kind of liked the ending (I forsaw it) but still a great anime.

5. Zipang - Reminded me of The Butterfly Effect (Time travel and changing the past etc), but very interesting and easy to follow because you could really understand/sympathize with the characters and their choices (maybe not all of them). In short, a military ship in modern day japan warps back into WW2.

4. Au No Exorcist - Just finished watching this and I really liked it. Characters are pretty well made and there's this really cute cat in here too ! Smile

3. Elfen Lied - My friend recommended this to me and after watching the first episode, I had to go throw up in the bathroom. It felt so weird watching the first episode but I had to keep watching. I think I've never felt so strongly about an anime ever. I love how the writer here manages to make you as the viewer feel sympathy for a murderer. The anime brings up some mature themes like acceptance, regret and identity. It's filled with gore and sadness as well. almost MUST WATCH in my opinion.

2. Steins;Gate - After watching the first episode I was hooked. This Sci/fi anime has a great story revolving a microwave time machine that can send text messages to the past in order to alter the present/future. It really sounds weird on paper but I think after watching you'll see what I mean. The characters are pretty well developed and very likable (I liked all of them except for Mayuri).
There's lot of modern day humor/references spoiler[4chan, anime yuri etc] and this show gets really emotional in the later episodes. I remember watching this anime and I was almost obsessed with Makise after hearing her talk to Okarin before spoiler[he sent the dmail that would make everyone forget about Makise ].

But all in all, pretty good story, amazing characters and a great ending. MUST WATCH

1. Code Geass R1 + R2 - I may not know that much about animes, but I know this is by far my favorite one and will be for some time to come. When I first looked at the pictures/reading the synopsis, I remember thinking "Robots, England ruling half the world wtf is this crap" (I haven't watched "mecha" before this). but my oh my, this anime really proves the point of never to judge a book (anime) by its cover.

I really don't want to spoil anything here for people but what I can say is that the story/plot from start to finish is mind blowing. The characters are all really well developed, especially the main protagonist. He's super smart (reminds me of Light in Death Note in a way) and you'll see at the very end what a good guy he is.

Again I really don't want to say anything because you really have to see this all by yourself. It's worth mentioning again that all main characters are really well developed and you really feel like you get to know them.

I would seriously give this anime a 10/10, but it only gets a 9.9/10 because of the spoiler[ending. I'm not really a fan of open endings, I like it when it's either this or that. In my heart I wish Lelouch would live on because well he is Lelouch and I want him to be happy somewhere with C.C. but it's only fitting if he's dead really. I'm not saying he's dead but I think he's dead]

Honorable mentions:

Guilty Crown - Great visuals, a very pretty anime and it has a beautiful soundtrack. Great action in there too.

Mirai Nikki - It's a great action anime. A little bit weird but still I recommend it.

Deadman Wonderland - I hear that the manga is based off the anime, which is a shame since the anime was really short but still has a cool story.

Dislikes

Here are the animes I don't like.

Gantz - I found the art to be "ugly" and the characters were all "meh" to me. Story was interesting on paper but I think it would have been a better anime if it looked prettier. I watched for 4 episodes and then gave up.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - I don't really know, I think it started off OK. After about half the show I felt like all I wanted to know was why everything was happening but I never quite got an answer to that (without reading up on the internet which I hate) and the endings was just a big "wtf". Art style felt a bit too "out dated" for me.

Cowboy Bepop - *Puts flamesuit on* I don't really know why I stopped watching this (I watched 8 episodes then I got tired of it). I didn't really like the art style in a way and I didn't really get too fond of any of the characters. I hear though that a lot of people like this anime and if someone could give me some good reasons on why I should watch it I'll gladly read it since I really wanted to like this anime because of all the hype I've been hearing about it, but ultimately couldn't.

As you might notice, I'm into action animes. If you know of any animes I might like please either post here or just PM me and I'll be forever grateful.

I'm currently watching Eureka 7, and these are the animes I've been recommended so I've downloaded them and they're the ones I'm going to watch next:

- Clannad
- Black Lagoon
- Shakugan No Shana

I've also seen Chaos;Head and Infinite Stratos and after watching them I realized I'm not into fanservice/harem. I enjoy animes with good character development/likable characters and good story. Action with a tiny hint of romance thrown in there is preferred but not a must. All action works fine too as well as the thriller/psychology ones.

Lol I after reading through I just realised I just posted all the animes I've ever watched.
Shinmigumi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Best (a good anime leaves u wanting more, keeps u watching, and a makes u beg that it will go on forever)
1. Black Cat: No mater if u watch it subed or dubed the story is easy to follow, the characters backstories do not take up alot of the anime and adds to the story, the voice acting is excelent althouh I found Train's voice in the subed version was annoying, it transioned well between comedy drama and action adventure without missing a beat. The end lf me wanting more yet it ended perfectly.
2. .hack//sign: If u missed an episode u would be a tad confused. I found myself getting confused regardless if i watched all the episodes or not. The show drew me in and held my attention from start to finnish. Every element of the show fit togther like a well mad puzzle I could not wait to finnish, yet would be sad when I did.
3. Trigun: I have not seen many anine that combine Guns, a spaceship, bounty hunters, contradicing priest, etc into one show and make me go I want to watch this. I am tired of the oh he or she is being serious lets inject some comedy. Other the/an that it didn't have any thing wrong with it. well done
4. Full Metal Alchemist: Holly cow if u want a sob story about two brothers who wanted to resurect thier dead mom and almost lost thier lives, then this is for u. I liked this show becuase you could really relate to the characters in every single way imaginable. The people who put this show togther put alot of time and effert in to each episode which showed when watched every episode from star to finnish.
5. Ao no Exorsist:
6. Kiki's Delivery Service
7. Sprited Away
8. Porco Roso
9. Princess Monoke
10. Howls' Moving Castle

Worst( i like 2-3 i put them there because i would only have 1)
1. Ultimate Muscle
2. Betterman (for geting PEARL JAM LYRICS - Better Man stuck in my head) Mad
3. Pokemon
4. Digimon
5. Hunter x Hunter
Sebow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Here's a tongue-in-cheek report of my top 10 anime

1) Steins;Gate

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again:
This is the greatest [expletive] anime that has ever been given legs to walk on.

And if you disagree we may as well not discuss it, because our tastes differ so much you may as well be from Micronesia, and me from Kepler-22b.

Come see me again when you’ve grown up enough not to facedive a [expletive] hotplate.

2) Fooly Cooly
I don’t care how many arrows to the knee you’ve sustained, put on your straightjacket for this very special occasion of social deroute and sweet, sweet madness.

3) Gankutsou – The Count of Monte Cristo
A classic tale of friendship, love, betrayal and redemption with a story and characters so multi-dimensional it makes even string theory look like a wooden, cork toy.

4) Kara no Kyoukai
Yes, it has stunning visuals, yes, its philosophical enquiries are both profound and occasionally snappy, but the whole point to this anime, bottom-line, is really: The female lead pairs a red leather jacket with a kimono, a [expletive] red leather jacket and a kimono!

Here's one girl who does know what to wear for the ballroom dance, and by "the ballroom dance" I mean "beating the shit out of every single living testament of God's glory."

5) Hajime No Ippo
A young boy’s venture into acquiring a professional gloss on his victim complex, oh, and on his love for smashing his adversaries to pieces and violating their bodies beyond repair, pow bitch, pow.

6) Black Lagoon
Not many know this, but:

Black Lagoon is actually an origin story about who was hand-to-heart, the true descendants of the “Bitch, Please” philandering, adultery, kickass, magnate prospectors: Revy and Balalaika.

This anime makes even the great Alucard look like a two-legged puppy begging for tidbits at the dinner table.

You want badass? Then you want Black Lagoon.

7) Serial Experiments Lain
Are you high? Is your high level currently above: "Relaxed", "Affected", "High", “Topped Off”, "Proper Slammin'", "Stoned", "Blasted", "Trippin'". "Meeting your Maker" and “Upsi Daisey”?

And are you slowly ascending into "Twisted, Mon!"?

Then you want this anime, it will mindfuck you so severely you'll think you're actually a porcelain ashtray.

8) Here and There, Now and Then
The point of this anime is that if you ever embark on a challenge to climb the ladder of a skytowering silo.

You’ll simultaneously embark on a journey to witness the very hyperboles of beauty and ugly in the depths of humankind...

...and a testimony to everything a story should be.

9) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Know how you gave up on your childhood dream of becoming a gut cleaner? Peer appraised in the eyes of your bluesy townfolk?

Well Haruhi Suzumiya never gave up on her dream, except hers was to find espers, aliens and time travellers.

Yes, she is more awesome than you.

Yes, this anime is more awesome than you.

Watch it.

10) Ghost in the Shell
The key to a successful cyberpunk story is to introduce an adversary composed entirely of megalomania juices, and the classical Ghost in the Shell does this remarkably well.

The Puppet Master is going to rip the very fabrics of space inside your [expletive] cranium.

You’re welcome.
Shin Granzon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...Okay I'll bite. You'll see quite a few mech series on this list, just as an FYI. And sorry in advance about the length. Let's get right into it.

Shin Granzon's Top 10 Anime

10) High School Of The Dead: As a zombie apocalypse enthusiast, this one grabbed me right from the get-go. Ok...the MAJOR fan-service didn't hurt either. But I like how the characters handled themselves through all the crap they encountered. With action and emotion running on all cylinders, this one gets spot #10.

9) Vision Of Escaflowne: Being one of the first series I enjoyed when I started to understand the story presented in some anime is the reason why this one is on the list. War, intrigue, and giant suits of armor are just some of the things Hitomi deals with after being sucked into the realm of Gaea. There's cliffhangers left and right, twists and turns, sword fights, and mech-on-mech action up in this biatch. A favorite of mine, Escaflowne is #9.

8) Ranma 1/2: Some peoples might not like this one, but I saw this when I was a lot younger and loved it. Excuse the nostalgia please? I loved the comedic aspect of this show which, is to say the majority of it. I thought it was just silly in a good way how they could shoehorn any activity going on in the show as a part of the Saotome School Of Anything Goes Martial Arts. It was just a cute series. So cute it's on my list at #8.

7) King Of Braves GaoGaiGar & GaoGaiGar FINAL: FINAAAL FUUUUUUUSION Sorry had to get that out of my system. One word(or 2?): Hot-blooded. Yeah this was another show designed to sell toys in Japan, but hey it's a really good show. Lot's of metal-on-metal for you mech fans out there. It follows a monster of the week formula, but when watching it I never cared. The OAV GGG FINAL, is worth watching all 49 episodes of the series to get to. So much action and story, loose ends tied up in 8 episodes. VITAAAAAAS! Sorry again, a great show for mech fans, this one ends up at #7.

6) True Mazinger Impact! Z Chapter: I'd always been interested in the Mazinger series thanks to the Super Robot Taisen game series. It's a mainstay in the series lineups featured in the game. So when THIS came out, I was all over it. This an alternate retelling of the original Mazinger Z, which I had only seen a few episodes of, due to horrible subs being beyond unbearable to read. But I started watching this and I loved it. Nice fight scenes and hints of nostalgia all throughout. Also that dastardly Baron Ashura had great character depth for an antagonist I hadn't seen in a super robot show since my #5 pick. It's a nonstop slew of action and plot twists that comes to a head in the last 4 episodes. This series rocket-punches its way to #6.

5) Mobile Fighter G Gundam: This had everything I liked about mech anime. Hot-bloodedness, great fights, plot twists and even some intrigue. Domon Kashuu battles his way through round after round of the Gundam Fight, a tournament held every few years to determine what country controls Earth. There were several moving scenes, and you really felt compelled to cheer for Domon and the other characters as they fought their way up the ladder. The main antagonist for this series, spoiler[Master Asia, was very well done in both the dub and original. You really felt at a loss for him in the end when he passes away. There was so much going on with him that he is one of the more complex antagonists I know of.] Definitely worth seeing even if you aren't a fan of the genre. Gundam Fight....Readyyyyyy! Go! Deserving of #5.

4) Getbackers: They'll get back anything for anyone at any time....as long as there's money to be had. Decided to try this one out when I was looking for a new series to watch. I was glad one of the local comic stores sold and rented out volumes of anime. The first volume had me hooked when they introduced Kurodo Akabane aka Dr. Jackal. Interesting character designs, characters with kooky powers and a good story, not to mention good fight scenes is why I like it. One t hing peoples disliked about this show was it's constant bringing up of terms like judas, and genius in combat, I thought it was overused too but I looked past that and enjoyed the series. Only knock I give it is that the anime didn't finish the story while the manga continued it. That's why it didn't get any higher on my list, but still deserves spot #4.

3) Dai-Guard: This series stood out from the other mech anime for me because it took a step back and then took a more realistic approach. Instead of focusing on just obliterating monster after monster, Dai-Guard looks at how constant fighting off of creatures can devastate several city blocks and answers the questions of who picks up the tab when a parking lot full of cars or an entire section of the city is razed. Also the repercussions that monster attacks and natural disasters can have on the population. All this being handled by regular joe office workers moonlighting and also daylighting as pilots of 21st Century Security Corporation's mascot Dai-Guard. It blends the right amount of serious and silly with action thrown in all around. A great favorite of mine gets its place at #3. Dai-Guard! Office workers saving the world!

2) Full Metal Panic!: This series brings us one of the most annoying antagonists I can think of. I say annoying because he's like a cockroach that just won't die and always seems to survive. FMP mixes humor, action and military technology in a smooth, drinkable blend that goes down easy. As Sergeant Sousuke Sagara is tasked with body guarding Kaname Chidori, we see just what happens to someone who is thrown to the wolves in an environment he has no experience in...high school. I mentioned an annoying villain, and that man's name is Gauron. A shady independent "businessman" that Sousuke knows from his past as a guerrilla fighter, who is trying to gain the information on Black Technology deep within Chidori's brain. Along with Kurz Webber and Melissa Mao, Sousuke juggles living as a regular teenager and fighting in armed conflicts, saving the day and generally getting in Kaname's way at the same time. And it all just amps up even more in the second season, which changes the dynamic of how Sousuke acts dramatically, and interacts with his machine the ARX-7. Blasting into spot #2 is FMP.

1) Berserk: This title has made its way onto several peoples' lists and for good reason. Set in the fictional medieval land of Midland, Griffith and his mercenary group The Hawks encounter loner and general all-around bad-ass Guts, a wandering swordsman whom Griffith bests in combat and forces him into service. We see each character grow, working towards their ambitions, discovering new things like love, and what their own purpose in life is. Guts just eats the scenery when he's on screen and Griffith does such equally so. Great characters and a great storyline that continues in the manga by the way and I suggest you check it out, this series has held a special place in my heart as corny as it sounds. It just......works. Guts has been the inspiration for a number of my usernames on many other sites, mmos, and the like. Definitely deserving of number 1.
Mercy Falls

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Top 10 Best

Trigun
This was one of the first anime series I ever watched and still remains one of my favorites. The plot is interesting and intriguing as well as fairly original. It has a pleasant mixture of action, adventure, comedy and some elements of mystery regarding the protagonists obscure past. The characters are likeable and complex; especially the protagonist, Vash, whose personality ranges from lighthearted to serious and who is shown to be very compassionate. Oh, and don't forget the awesome opening and ending themes.

Cowboy Bebop
This anime is quite similar to Trigun in many ways, but sets itself apart by being more of a futuristic "space cowboy" genre. The protagonists in Cowboy and Trigun also share a few similarities, like their tendency to appear carefree but when the situation demands they can become very serious and skillful at fighting. It's been a long time since I've seen this anime, but from what I remember the plot is interesting and centers around the main characters misadventures as they try to make a living as bounty hunters. It also delves into the characters complicated pasts, some shadier than others, leading up to the protagonist having to face some past demons. Also, can't forget to mention the music; aside from the blues and jazz themed soundtrack, many of the episodes derive their titles from classic rock songs which I found to be really cool.

Monster
Whew, what can I say about this anime that will do it justice? It's such a psychological masterpiece. At 74 episodes, it's quite a long series compared to most, but you won't find a boring moment in the whole series. This thriller will leave you on the edge of your seat from the first episode to the last. It's such a captivating story that you won't want to stop watching it until it's finished. Just an amazing series that raises a lot of questions about topics such as morality. A must watch for anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers and detective fiction.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Originally, I watched the first FMA series prior to Brotherhood being released. Even then it was one of my favorite anime at the time, but after watching Brotherhood, which follows the manga unlike the first series, I was completely swayed. The plot is amazing, the action is top class, the characters are realistic, and there's even some nice comic relief squeezed in there. The art was very appealing to me as well. I'm usually not a huge fan of Shounen, but this is truly an amazing series.

Samurai Champloo
This series is by the same creator as Cowboy Bebop and it appeals to me for a lot of the same reasons. It may not be one of the best anime out there and certainly not everyones cup of tea, but I like it for what it is. The action is very good and realistic and the sword fights are some of the best I've seen in an anime. There were quite a few humorous moments as well. I also really enjoyed the adventurous plot and the hip-hop style theme mixed in with the edo period, samurai setting was actual quite enjoyable to watch.

Steins;Gate
This is probably my favorite recent series that I've seen. The plot was interesting and exciting and I really enjoyed all the internet references and modern themes. I loved the characters, they were interesting and hilarious. The art and animation was amazing. I'm not much for science fiction most of the time, but this anime got me interested.

Death Note
This series is probably a bit overrated in my opinion, but it still makes the list nonetheless. Very exciting and original plot that keeps you interested the whole way through. The protagonists intelligence and ruthlessness will amaze and bewilder you, until his rival shows up to surprise you with his equally astonishing cleverness. An awesome psychological series with an assortment of interesting characters. Loved all the opening and ending themes for this series, too.

Heaven's Memo Pad
I really enjoyed this series for a lot of the same reasons I enjoyed Steins;Gate. I had low expectations when I started this anime, which was recommended to me, but I was pleasantly surprised. It took an interesting twist to the whole "NEET" culture theme and has a great mystery plot. The ending was bittersweet, but I still really enjoyed the series overall.

Rurouni Kenshin
This, along with Trigun, has been one of my favorite anime for a very long time. The two protagonists from Rurouni Kenshin and Trigun share the same morals and similar dark pasts. They're both exceedingly powerful and have dangerous reputations which precede them. Although much of the fighting in Rurouni Kenshin isn't very realistic and borderline supernatural even, I still really enjoyed the action of this series. The characters and plot are engaging and the protagonist is faced by many powerful adversaries throughout the series. Although I don't like it as much as I once did, this series remains a classic and still deserves a spot on this list.

Full Metal Panic
It was hard for me to decide upon the final series in this list, but I finally settled on FMP. I chose this series because it's probably my favorite series to watch when I want to have a good laugh. Despite it's heavy elements of comedy, it also incorporates a lot of more serious elements and does it tactfully. As much as I enjoyed all the romantic-comedy and silly bits, the actual plot was very interesting and the action was great as well.

Top 5 Worst

Naruto
This is one of the most popular anime out there, which frankly is somewhat upsetting, but doesn't surprise me; so many viewers today don't care about substance. It started off somewhat strong, but digressed into the huge mess it is today rather quickly. It's an anime that drags on with no end in sight, milking the plot for as many episodes as they can and loaded with enough fillers to give Taco Bell a run for its money.

Grappler Baki
Some people may find it unreasonable to judge a fighting anime on its plot, but the plot on this series is hardly existent. Many of the characters are unrealistic and have paper thin personalities. The art was horribly annoying and I hated the exaggerated muscles. Hell everything about this series is unrealistic and exaggerated. It's honestly a fantasy series masquerading as legit martial arts.

InuYasha
This series had an interesting premise and could have been potentially good if they'd followed the plot and wrapped it up in 26 episodes or so. Instead they dragged it on way longer than they should have and what we were left with was a tired, boring and repetitive series. These long running series that drag on episode after episode with no real plot advancement are exactly what I hate in anime.

Blue Exorcist
This series is fairly new, but seems to be pretty popular from what I can tell. It never ceases to amaze me how viewers can just keep sucking up the same cliché plots and then keep coming back for more. While the premise of this series is fairly original, they used it in a way that is nothing that hasn't been seen before in anime. The protagonist is an outcast, with the blood of a demon in him and able to tap into demonic powers that he can't completely control; sound familiar? That's cause it's almost exactly the same as Naruto.

Dragon Ball Series
I wouldn't even include this if I had any other alternative because there were a lot of redeeming qualities to the series, but this is my only option. This series just drags on way more than necessary; it's the epitome of dragging series. One fight could last half a dozen or even a dozen episodes. Give me a break. I really hate to rip on this series cause it is a classic, but they leave me no choice.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
Mercy Falls wrote:
Top 10 Best
Blue Exorcist
This series is fairly new, but seems to be pretty popular from what I can tell. It never ceases to amaze me how viewers can just keep sucking up the same cliché plots and then keep coming back for more. While the premise of this series is fairly original, they used it in a way that is nothing that hasn't been seen before in anime. The protagonist is an outcast, with the blood of a demon in him and able to tap into demonic powers that he can't completely control; sound familiar? That's cause it's almost exactly the same as Naruto.

Naruto and another several hundreds.

It had a great first episode, but from there it was a disappointment after another. First they kill spoiler[the greatest character of the series], and from there it's just characters crying over it till the thing finally ends.

To me this is one of the few anime comparable to Twilight. Only popular because the fangirls found hot guys.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Worst anime I've ever seen. These are series that I forced myself to watch to completion {I'm wordy so be prepared}:

1 Gilgamesh. The very idea that people like this series is sickening and confusing but look at my problems with it; The world is brutal and unforgiving without any interesting elements, combined with unlikable characters in unfathomable situations and things randomly occur just to make the overall situation worse until the inevitable and absolute end. Character designs are unattractive and the world is black and gray. It's depressing in the worst sort of way, it's boring in the worst of way, it's plotted in the worst sort of way. It's the worst in the worst sort of way.

If you watch the ADV special features, you're subjected to faux goth goofiness and bored monotonous readings where the supposed "plot" is explained. It's more fun than the series. No, that's a lie, it wasn't fun at all...

2 Avenger. Oh, it looks pretty and the music by Ali Project is good if badly scored but the plot and characters are the worst sort of stock. A revenge plot without any meaningful revenge combined with a scifi apocalypse plot without any feeling for an apocalypse or was it the apocalypse? Something happened to the Earth, not that anyone actually cared. And there was something about a falling moon, not that anyone felt threatened by it. The main character went around beating up robot girls, no real reason for it, she just trashed them like the Who would trash a motel room. There was a twist about identity of the robot girl that followed the main character around; I did not see that twist coming because it did not make any sense.

3 Loveless. Yaoiless yaoi anime, yuriless yuri anime, loveless love anime. I didn't get it. End of story but at least the title was accurate.

4 Corpse Princess or Shikibane Hime. Another series which is pretty, well animated, has fantastic music and both the Japanese and English language tracks are great. What could possible go wrong? Having a plot where the main male character is forcible ejected from the loop every time by the powers that be because it doesn't involve him only for him to follow along anyway because it does involve him {Shows how smart they are}, having the main female always announce that she's a Shikibane Hime every time she appears in an episode {Yes, we know, it's the title}, having a world where someone should have noticed corpses coming back to life as it wasn't a recent event {It's like throwing a zombie apocalypse and no one was told}, ending every plot advancement with "Why don't we involve the main character?""No, let's not" right after telling him that they'll help him or at least explain to him what's happening and the plot point of people coming back to life as shikibane is dying with regrets but dying itself doesn't count as a regret though being murdered by a shikibane somehow counts sometimes...

It's the worst masquerade plot ever, the worst zombie plot ever and the second worst revenge plot. There's real no way to keep up the lie of people not coming back to life from people interacting with people coming back to life. "Hey, weren't you dead?" "Roarrr...!"

That happened. More than once. There's a lot more but I could go on for hours and the rest involves actual spoilers. It's worth watching once, I guess.

5 Destiny of the Shrine Maiden. It was ok until the plot point that happened around episode 8. It ruined, well, the destiny of the shrine maiden.
Otishio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised. I was sort of expecting to have seen or tried out a lot of what other people have said but I've found myself looking up quite a few of these and putting them on my to watch list. Anyways without an further delay my top 10 animes and then my 5 worst.

10. The World God Only Knows. I simply loved this show on both seasons. Reading the plot I was going "Wow..this sounds so usual of a romantic comedy" but really from start to finish I loved the main character's personality as it fit the show perfectly. The girls who he had to conquer all felt different from the last or the next one and I liked that. They all had separate stories to share and I enjoyed the show overall. More seasons are definitely welcome.

9. Aria: The Scarlet Ammo: This show I enjoyed a lot. It has my favorite VA in it (Rie Kugimiya) and that was immediately a plus. The plot was pretty fluffy but I felt it was handled very well. The characters all seemed to stand out and it was a very funny show. Just as HoTD I am awaiting a second season (hopefully).

8. Claymore. One of the first shows that I watched that had no comedy element and was just plain dark. The plot from what I read from it I loved the sound of it. First episode I liked it. Seemed like a very solid show I liked the characters (though the art does look pretty weird). After I finished the show I was disappointed as the ending left a little to be desired. But, overall I do always wish for a season 2 as unlikely as that may be.

7. Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko This show was great. I liked how they quickly got past the issue and were right into development. The pacing of the show was fluent and the art was amazing. The plot was great for a slice of life and I think I'm starting to get into it all instead of being all filled with action anime. The OVA I thought was also pretty good. I'd like to see more OVAs for nothing more than to see the characters again.

6. Highschool of the Dead. The show has everything I like: Fanservice, action, zombies, and a good character cast. The show starts off to a very good start and I was hooked right after that. The zombies were drawn very nicely and had that creepy effect down. The characters they had were all different and I liked that. The show overall was very solid and I am anxiously awaiting a second season.

5. Angel Beats: This show was amazing from start to finish. The beginning had me thinking that the show was going to be completely different from what it actually had to offer but I'm not complaining at all. It had great characters and I loved them all. The plot was simply amazing and honestly it'll be hard before I find a show that I think can make a better plot than it for it's genres. It just was so good and I still recommend it to my friends who haven't seen it yet.

4. Ao no Exorcist. The plot wasn't terribly original but I was okay with it. The characters were all drawn very nicely to me and I really liked all of them. One of my most random reasons for watching it was just the color blue. It drew me in right away for reasons I still don't know but I definitely had to mention it. The ending I found was pretty good even though I did notice it wasn't the same as the manga I still felt it left off nicely. And also on a side note, the second opening to my taste was really good too. Suited the show and I loved it.

3. Bakuman
I really liked this show. At first I was skeptical with how the plot
was. Just to my tastes it sounded bland. To my surprise it was one of the most amazing shows I had seen. I couldn't help but just start episode after episode I was hooked. An easy recommendation for any slice of life fan.

2. One Piece. Now, originally, I wasn't think I was going to be putting this on here but after some time of thinking my choices through I decided to make some nice edits. I started pretty late (As in the show was on episode 535 or so) and I was all the way at episode one. After constantly being encouraged to try it out I did just that I was just sucked in. The enviroment, creatures, devil fruit, characters, islands all seem to just take you in and it's amazing. The arcs have a good story to tell every time (though I do feel a couple of them drag on longer than needed). The main pirate group - Straw Hat Pirates, I like all of them. Watching the show I can't picture the show without any of them. They all have a perfect spot in the crew and it's really good.

Now time for the #1..

1. Fairy Tail. I love this show. Everything about it. I have not had one episode where I have been upset with it (even the fillers) and with the movie coming out later this year I'm very pleased. The story itself is amazing and I'm always looking forward to the next episode. How huge the world is and how it all is put together is amazing. The characters, art design, and voicing all fit and work well. Again with Rie Kugimiya doing a voice in the show that's always good to me. :p

Honorable mentions:

Sola. This was the second anime that actually made me begin to cry. The ending of the show was really a sad one. The entire show was really good and it all led up to the ending real well. I liked the art-style on this show and I thought the voice actors they had fit the characters perfectly. I wish they could make more episodes for it but the ending was a solid ending.

Mirai Nikki. This show has been really good to me. (as it's not over yet). The concept to me seems amazing and I like the feel of it. The tone of the show is switching from disturbing to calm to "I did not see that coming". The way all of the characters are crazy pretty different to me keeps me interested in them. The show constantly keeps me excited for the next episode and is all around a nice thrill.

Sora no Otoshimono (Heaven's Lost Property): Another show I absolutely adore but I have no idea where I'd place this. I love it but I just don't know if I could put it in a top 10.

Now for the worst top 5.

5. Shakugan no Shana. This show's first season was very promising and kept me hooked. Second season was a gradual drop in just about everything but I still liked the show overall. Third season comes out and I just lost interest in it all. The show completely turned around and was just not right. It didn't feel like Shakugan no Shana and I didn't enjoy watching the final season.

4. Queen's Blade: I suppose it definitely does the thing it wants to do right - right. Such as have a ton of fanservice and what not. I don't mind fanservice but this was just a little too much for my taste. Gave it 3 episodes and then just stopped.

3. Full Metal Panic!. I tried this show for a while as it seemed pretty interesting and I wanted to get into it but as hard as I tried I just couldn't get into the show. It just let me down.

2. Gokugyo:I watched the first episode unaware of what it was about. The episodes are all about 6 minutes long and I gotta say. If they were any longer it'd be pretty messed up. While watching the first episode I couldn't tell if I was supposed to take it seriously or if the show was a joke and I just gave up.

1. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. Pretty bad. I watched the entire series and I don't know why. Sena was probably the overall reason and the art-style reminded me that of Oreimo's. I really just could not get into this show.

Last edited by Otishio on Sun May 06, 2012 10:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
3. Gokugyo: I believe this show is still airing and I watched the first episode unaware of what it was about. They're all about 6 minutes long and I have to say...if it was any longer it'd be awful. While watching the first episode I couldn't tell if I was supposed to take it seriously or if the show was a joke and I just couldn't watch it.

You couldn't tell whether or not an episode about not wearing any underwear to school was serious or a joke. That says more about you than the anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
3. Gokugyo: I believe this show is still airing and I watched the first episode unaware of what it was about. They're all about 6 minutes long and I have to say...if it was any longer it'd be awful. While watching the first episode I couldn't tell if I was supposed to take it seriously or if the show was a joke and I just couldn't watch it.

You couldn't tell whether or not an episode about not wearing any underwear to school was serious or a joke. That says more about you than the anime.

As does some of his/her other choices. Aria the Scarlet Ammo in the top 3 while Shana and FMP are in the worst 5. Laughing
Otishio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Well, this is a very good point. I do have to say I usually do give things a second to thir episode before judging but joke or not it was pretty bad. Now you can hold it against me however much you want but I doubt the show could get better (There is always the chance) but I don't think I'll come back to it to find out.

and at Blood- : As does some of his/her other choices. Aria the Scarlet Ammo in the top 3 while Shana and FMP are in the worst 5.

Now this is entirely my opinion (obviously). I have tried and I watched most of the first season of FMP. Now, I'm not the hugest fan of the art style it had nor mecha but I wanted to give it a shot. I was slowly interested but eventually just got very bored with where the show was. SnS I loved the first season, second season I was iffy on, and third season I was just sort of upset. I felt it got way too far ahead and the plot just took a huge turn which I am not a huge fan of. It's usually what makes me start to dislike an anime is when such a huge plot twist happens (which may or may not make me a bad anime watcher, but it's how I am.) I'd defend Aria but it's hinted that you're not the biggest fan of it and I wouldn't want to try to say otherwise. However, I just did want to state my reasons for why I didn't like the shows.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
@Otishio
I doubt the show will change it's colors anytime soon. Instead repeatedly calling it bad like you, I would say it's brand of humor doesn't suit me. Humor is subjective anyway. Even disliking the humor used the anime is far from being one of the worst anime I've ever seen.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I just think you are being a bit hasty and unfairly judgmental in your worst list.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
@Otishio - fair enough. What struck me a little strange about your selections is that I would have assumed that if you liked Aria the Scarlet Ammo, then that would have suggested that you might like FMP and especially Shana. As it happens, I didn't read your entire Shana entry so I didn't realize you were taking into account the second and third seasons, neither of which I have seen yet. That's really why I was scratching my head because I was like, "wait, likes Aria but not Shana?"

Anyway, I dig Claymore, HotD, Angel Beats and Fairy Tail so at least we have that in common. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 103 of 122