• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2005 6th Comic Exhibition @ Taipei, Taiwan [2005-09-01]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to thank Zac, tempest, SakechanBD, and all ANN staff who have helped me in various ways, including (but not limited to) English revision, prepareness, planning, tips, and moral support. I also want to thank friendly staff members of various companies, who have provided such precious opportunities and useful information. Last but not least: Ms. Chang at The Great Daily News. Without her, I might not be able to report the event at all.

My most cordial gratitude to you all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the first picture, I realize that I actually can recognize two characters (Gundam SEED ZAFT and Prince of Tennis Seigaku player), a big improvement from a few months ago. Also, those pictures of manga and anime goodies really makes the shelves at Suncoast look bare. Eye candy.
Quote:
The two congressmen cosplayed Black Jack and Vagabond.
Politicians cosplaying...I'd never see it here.
But then again, I've never been to a convention before

Question: How much does manga cost in Taiwan?
hooliganj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
The other two in the back row are Momoji Zabuza from Naruto in the middle and Kuchiki Rukia from Bleach on the right. The front row right character is wearing a Shinsengumi uniform, and the bandaid on the nose makes me think he's supposed to be Nagakura Shinpachi as depicted in Peacemaker Kurogane. Front row center I don't recognize, but the uniform rings a bell. For some reason I'm thinking of Hungry Heart Wild Striker, but it's not quite the same.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Politicians cosplaying...I'd never see it here.

We have a cosplaying president. IMO, he has always been cosplaying, including his current presidency. Rolling Eyes

.Sy wrote:
Question: How much does manga cost in Taiwan?

It depends on sizes. The most common size of shounen manga, 11.4 x 17.1 cm (4 1/2 x 6 3/4 inches), costs NT$80-90 (US$2.45-2.75) per tankoubon. Most seinen manga are slightly larger (12.8 x 18.8 cm; 5 x 7 3/8 inches) and cost a little more, roughly NT$95-105 (US$2.91-3.21). Some extra-large ones (e.g. Nausicaa), with A4/Letter size, cost NT$150-180 (US$4.59-5.50). A lot cheaper than US list prices, but you have to take average income into consideration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Keiichi Sigsawa's autograph!!

I am so jealous. Crying or Very sad
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
That is pretty sweet dormcat. The last anime con that I went to was Petit Fancy in Taipei.

That is a pretty sweet interview you did.

I'm coming to Taipei at the end of the month. I would like to meet you. I'll PM all my info.

Gaiyo!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Hey! I actually went to the Comic Exhibition as well, it was very very crowded...

But I managed to attend the Kobayashi Jin (School Rumble mangaka) press conference and I also attended his autograph session (it's sitting on my bookshelf now, framed Very Happy). There were only 30 spaces available for readers into the press conference, and 200 autographs - I was so lucky Anime hyper

During the press conference I secretly did a voice recording on my USB mp3 player Wink. And afterwards, me and 30 other attendees tooka picture together with Kobayashi-sensei Very Happy

Is anyone interested that I post full details of the press conference for Kobayashi Jin and maybe some pictures? Let me know and I'll take some time to do it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
There were only 30 spaces available for readers into the press conference, and 200 autographs - I was so lucky

You certainly were. If I remember correctly, you had to buy his tankoubon and submit questions just to enter the draw, and only 30 most lucky fans were admitted to the press conference.

W-General wrote:
Is anyone interested that I post full details of the press conference for Kobayashi Jin...

My coverage is being revised now and will be online soon. You are welcome to post your personal opinion (just wait a while, 'kay? Wink ), but...

W-General wrote:
...and maybe some pictures?

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

Tong Li Publishing had warned us NOT to publicize pictures containing Kobayash-sensei. It's okay to post other pictures (e.g. cosplayers) but I'd suggest you cover faces of other attendees (except cosplayers, who are willing to be publicized) with The Laughing Man.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree with dormcat. Taking pictures of celebrities is a Major NO NO. Asking a Cosplayer for their permission (verbily) is fine.

I recommend not distributing the mp3. That is also a NO NO.

That is just my suggestion. It saves on head aches afterword.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
Taking pictures of celebrities is a Major NO NO.

That really depends. I've contacted every PR personnel from respective companies and some special guests; all but two, Jin Kobayashi and Kaori Yuki (whose press conference I couldn't attend due to conflicting schedule to Keiichi Sigsawa's; both Kobayashi and Yuki were invited by Tong Li, by the way), allowed the press to publicize their pictures. Some even asked us to pick only the most kawaii ones (you'll see Wink ).

Ranmah wrote:
I recommend not distributing the mp3. That is also a NO NO.

That is just my suggestion. It saves on head aches afterword.

Seconded. It would be better and (most importantly) safer to contact PR personnel of respective companies before making your next move e.g. hosting pictures on your homepage, blog, or redistribute those pictures, even if you took those pictures yourself.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Makoto-kun looks like a hipster version of his dad.
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I didn't think it that Tong Li was concerned about overseas report (I'm so sneaky Anime hyper) But it's OK If you guys think that.

I didn't have distributing the mp3 in mind, mainly because it's in Chinese and no one would understand it anyway. I was thinking of typing up & translating the voice transcript.

Actually about Kobayashi sensei......one of the newspapers actually DID published a very low-res blurry picture of him with the cosplayers.... Wink

Wow, you went all out to contact PR people so English-speaking people can find out what's going on in Taiwan. I'm impressed. I'm just a bum-of-a-fan who's happy to get his School Rumble autograph and group picture with Kobayashi sensei.

For those familiar with SR. Kobayashi == Hariima

EDIT: Hey! Not fair! Press privileges! I can't believe you get to have special messages written on your autograph. I still remember that Tong Li specifically told us to NOT ASK KOBAYASHI SENSEI FOR ANY PERSONALIZED SKETCHES OR MESSAGES (that's a major difference between an American con and a Taiwanese con....so much red tape at a Taiwanese con)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
EDIT: Hey! Not fair! Press privileges! I can't believe you get to have special messages written on your autograph. I still remember that Tong Li specifically told us to NOT ASK KOBAYASHI SENSEI FOR ANY PERSONALIZED SKETCHES OR MESSAGES (that's a major difference between an American con and a Taiwanese con....so much red tape at a Taiwanese con)

Okay...Tong Li did have done several disputable actions during the five-day exhibition. This forum is not the best place to discuss them; PM me if you want.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Tong Li issue...

In the report of interviewing Jin Kobayashi I've mentioned that I couldn't provide pictures because Kobayashi-sensei preferred to keep his profile low, but that information was announced by Tong Li's interpreter.

Yesterday, I saw his and Kaori Yuki's photos on the newest Tong Li flyer at animate Taipei. Mad

This, along with the cosplayer incident at Kaori Yuki's press conference, gave me a second thought on Tong Li's "no photo" policy. I'll try to bypass Tong Li and contact those guests directly.
ladholyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
animate Taipei...

Next summer when I go back, I shall frequent that place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2