• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kimagure Orange Road Artist to Return

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebrospinal_fluid

Infections and disease in this fluid usually result in various levels of paralysis or death. When you hear the phrase "spinal tap" it is usually describing the medical procedure to extract some of this fluid for analysis or to measure pressure in your brain.

It's really really good to hear he's getting better. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Menengitis is the bacterial infection of the same which can cause death within 3 days if not properly treated. Most people live with the germs in the back of their throats but will never be affected by it. It's a parent's worst nightmare as a child can show no symptoms until it's too late. Glad to see he has recovered and is back, but I know how he feels about being pushed pillar to post with wrong diagnosis'.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Yaaaaaay Izumi Matsumoto~ This is really great news. I'm happy for him and happy that he's back in business. KOR is amazing and more newer anime fans should go back and read/watch it. :X I wish someone'd license the manga too so it could get a wider audience. It never gets old after 18 volumes. *_*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Good news indeed! Pity KOR is so neglected amongst newer fans, older fans cherish it dearly but sadly KOR like UY, MI and VGai just aren't popular.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
From http://www.kfccinema.com/: Popular manga artist Izumi Matsumoto who was forced to give up work six years ago because of heavy headaches caused by depleted cerebrospinal fluid now says he wants to produce comics that help promote understanding of the disease.

Matsumoto, from Tokyo, 46, debuted as a cartoonist at age 23 and his comic series, Kimagure Orange Road, which ran in the top manga magazine Shonen Jump, helped make him one of the most popular cartoonists in Japan. Once referred to as the bible for Japanese youth in the 1980s, the series about school life was adapted as a TV cartoon and as a movie.

Sometime around autumn 1999, one manga magazine announced that it would run Matsumoto's new work early the next year. His fans were looking forward to it, but it never appeared. Earlier in June 1999, Matsumoto had felt hot flushes in his neck when he was lying at home and experienced paralysis in the lower part of his body. It was then he began suffering from headaches.

Matsumoto described the feeling at that time as if he was carrying a 100-kilogram weight on the back of his head and neck. I felt terribly weary and didn't want to do anything, he said. I felt that I needed to draw something, but I couldn't hit upon any idea.

He saw doctors at more than 40 medical institutions who explained his symptoms in various ways. Matsumoto was told that he was depressed, that he lacked exercise and even that his suffering was due to the fact his teeth were not well aligned.

After seeing a newspaper article about depleted cerebrospinal fluid in May 2004, he visited Sanno Hospital in Tokyo's Minato-ku in July that year, where doctors discovered a fluid leakage. Matsumoto had been hit by a car when he was three years old, and had often experienced stiff shoulders since then. It's possible that his cerebrospinal fluid began leaking because of the accident. I guess his condition worsened because he worked very hard, a Sanno Hospital doctor said.

Now that his condition has improved, Matsumoto is talking with a publisher about the possibility of starting work again. And he plans to draw a manga about his disease. I think many people around the world who suffer from depleted cerebrospinal fluid often don't understand the cause of their pain, he said. I want to boost awareness of this disease around the world through a cartoon.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news indeed. I look forward to reading his new work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Now this is something I was unaware of. This is great news! Smile
mahoro

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
It looks like our mangaka's health has returned and with the success of the KOR manga campaign we might see him appear more in the con circuits too. Bumping this so younger fans can read about his past details.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1