• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IGN: Next Xbox to Be 6 Times Faster, Ship in Late 2013

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnriIsMyWaifu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Games are gonna be 90% generic shooters though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
So in other words, it'll be around the equivalent of a 3.5 year old computer.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
The 6670 is also so out-dated and weak that it can only run BF3 on "medium" on a PC (with good other specs) with some things on high, at a decent FPS. By the time the new Xbox comes out it will obviously be far more outdated than it already is. Consoles are getting further and further behind it's quite sad. Sad because they hold back game developers from using actual CURRENT technology...instead they end up making games for out-dated consoles and porting them to PC instead of making use of the amazing technology PCs have. It's stopping them from making huge innovations in both graphics and physics. Far better physics can create variations of gameplay that just are not possible in all this out-dated tech. I hope the rumors are wrong and that the next XBOX isn't made with (by then) 7 year old technology...but it's not looking good. 20% stronger than a Wii U isn't worth that extra year either...probably a higher price too. 20% is nothing in gaming performance.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
But will it work this time? Rolling Eyes
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So in other words, it'll be around the equivalent of a 3.5 year old computer.

Pretty much. And as soon as developers finally manage to squeeze the full potential out of it, the next generation will release, even further behind current PC technology. I'm far from some sort of PC-only nut, but the console cycle really is depressing when you step back and look at it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
When this generation first started I laughed at the Wii and it's casualness.

Now that this generation is coming to a close, I find it's the console I play the most these days, when I actually do play video games.

Funny how an influx of rehashed shooters kills the fun for you. Xbox started a bit strong, grabbing up some JRPG exclusives like Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean: Last Hope, Blue Dragon, and so forth, but then Gears of War and cover-based shooting took off there went all my interest in the system. Then all those so-called exclusive RPGs ended up getting ported to the PS3, and improved, which pretty much killed the system for me.

I suppose if the Microsoft is going to focus on shooters these days, then why not just get them on my PC if I really want to play them. Don't think I'll be picking the new Xbox up if this trend is going to be their norm. That's one of the big things.. most Xbox games are multi-platform for the PC as well, so it lowers the need to get one as opposed to Sony or Nintendo's consoles.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The 6670 is also so out-dated and weak that it can only run BF3 on "medium" on a PC (with good other specs) with some things on high, at a decent FPS.

And what else is new. Consoles are not and have never been comparable to PCs in terms of tech and pure power. However because consoles are more dedicated machines with less overhead than a PC they can do more with less.
Quote:

Far better physics can create variations of gameplay that just are not possible in all this out-dated tech.

What is this out-dated tech and impossible physics that you speak of? The new XBOX is going to be faster than the 360 which means more processing power for physics and programmers will be able to make those new "better" physic APIs for the 720.

Quote:
I hope the rumors are wrong and that the next XBOX isn't made with (by then) 7 year old technology...but it's not looking good.

So far only the GPU is being discussed in the article. The 6670 is only year old now and if it is integrated into the new XBOX then it would be a completely different beast because it would be remodeled to just like how the ATI X1900 was overhauled into the Xenos for the 360.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Good, so I have over a year to not worry about it. Maybe they can integrate a Blu-Ray player and make whatever Kinect equivalent they have a default accessory.

I'll keep playing Skyrim in the interim.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
This I would like to see. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
SIX TIMES AS POWERFUL … 20% BETTER GRAPHICS PERFORMANCE

It would not surprise me if these statistics were calculated (or otherwise arrived at) by a marketing team.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll be really interested to see what Microsoft can manage to make exclusive for their new XBOX. I don't know about you guys, but over time it seems like console games are losing their "feel" - platforming, fighters, adventure games...they're all still around, but most of the innovation is in FPSs and RPGs and so on. A lot of these titles are available on PC, if I have a PC I can have Steam (ergo zero hard media for software); these and other factors make out the PC platform to be one of consiberably more usability and customisability than any console out there. Consoles are at least super cheap, before you start buying everything that doesn't come in the box...

These guys have their work cut out for them!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Now let's see how much more powerful Sony can make the PS4, since the PS4 would come out even later. (Though it may turn out to be a case of diminishing returns - consoles can only be so powerful enough that most gamers wouldn't care much difference anymore, as most PC users between i5 and i7 nowadays.)

So it may come down to other features. Most hot games would be ported to both consoles, so that's less of an issue. The PS3 had the bluray feature advantage, kinda like how the PS2 had the DVD advantage over Nintendo, so most likely Microsoft wouldn't cede that kind of advantage again to the PS4 (unless there comes out an even newer disc format between the 720's and the PS4's releases). This be interesting times. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1