• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 1 Blu-Ray

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raneth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I've watched it twice, and I would love to support it and buy it again to watch it dubbed. Such a great show!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
MSRP may be $95, but it's really $75, considering you can only get it from RightStuf or the official site, and both places have it marked down.
If you go for just the regular DVD edition, it's $30, and $40 for the Blu-ray only.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Zac, for this review, as it has revived my interest in watching it.

I'm gonna watch this with my friend. We shall journey into the madness together....
Shiro_Shishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I think you've finally pushed me over the edge to give this show a watch Zac.

Time to jump into the "madness".
opn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
madoka is probably without a doubt my favorite anime of 2011. i came into it expecting the same old same old magical girl anime....i was in for a surprise esspecily since i saw the first six episodes in one setting. Laughing and the series just kept getting better and better. if it weren't for the price i would of gotten the limited edition but i went for the reguler editon blu ray once it arrives i plan to watch the dub since i already seen the entire show subbed so heres hoping the dub is as good as you say zac. Smile

Last edited by opn on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac, this review sounds like you haven't watched Princess Tutu yet? Chances are good that you will enjoy that one as well, because it is imho a similar "subversion" that "instead of pretending to mock the genre while wallowing in its easiest clichés, is truly attempting to do something different."

And I'm not trying to start the whole Tutu VS Madoka thing again. I really like both shows and recommend both to fans of either one of them.

Anyway, nice review, looking forward to your opinion on the rest.
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we'll have to wait it out like we did in the bad old days, twiddling our thumbs until volume 3 comes out in 4 or 5 months, but if the first third of the show is any indication, it'll be well worth the wait (and the fairly ridiculous expense). More, please.

Actually, in the bad old days of singles, I found that fewer series that I bought on DVD ended up getting dropped halfway through. There's something to be said for that anticipation of the newest disc showing up in the mailbox and going directly into the player.

Two weeks and counting. Maybe the discs will start shipping a few days early...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
it's not really that bad of a show and I am happy with my purchase. The only problem is that as sated, the high price of this show will keep most audiences away unless you are part of an anime club or group that can watch the show together.

Modoka really impresses me and I would love to see more shows that take the genre, bend it over by saying NO! we are going to do something entirely different and mess with people. I haven't felt that way since I watched higurashi or neon genesis evangelion but it's a nice feeling..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I've got MY special editions preordered. It's a nice chunk out of my wallet, but that's what tax return money is for... right? Embarassed
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
(...) I would love to see more shows that take the genre, bend it over (...)

Princess Tutu isn't on your anime list yet? Give it a try ^^
Trustilotous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
madoka is probably without a doubt my favorite anime of 2010.

Actually this show aired in 2011. Definitely my favourite of 2011 as well.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I have been intrigued by this series for a while, this review is very enticing and it would be nice not to have to worry about dancing around spoilers for it by seeing it myself, but even to someone whose expectations for releases were formed in the days of four-episode long volumes for thirty dollars, the cost of this release, no matter how nicely dolled up, is hard to swallow. At least the DVD release is, as discounted, priced just as it would be in the good old days and I am getting a rather large tax refund this year.

I wonder if speculators have been buying the limited edition volumes as 'an investment'.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I love this show, and I have already pre-ordered all three limited edition volumes, and I know I won't regret the purchase Smile

I'm really pleased to hear that the dub was good. I wasn't that worried, but the "troll" trailer left a lot to be desired (for obvious reasons!)

I had no idea there was a Tutu v. Madoka thing going on ... I have adored Princess Tutu for quite awhile (definitely in my top 5 or 10 anime series), but it is a completely different show from Madoka. Yes, they are both genre-bending magical girl shows, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. Madoka is a spoiler[Faust / Jesus] story, while Princess Tutu is a meta-fiction / Fairy Tale Retelling / Existential story. They are just doing completely different things. Also, Madoka is aimed exclusively at adults, while Tutu can be enjoyed by children, as well.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Central to all of this is the Kyubey character, who serves as sort of a symbol for what the creative team seems to be trying to do with this show – cute (and marketable!) on the outside, but it isn't remotely what it appears to be, instead hiding a litany of deep dark secrets that are better left buried.

That sounds cool as hell. I already pre-ordered the standard version, can't wait to see it!
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The series starts showing its hand as quickly as it can, however, almost as if it's so excited to show you what you're in for that it simply can't wait.

This is what dampened my enjoyment considerably. Episode 3 barely held back from putting all its cards on the table, and while it was such a terrific wave of grim realization of what this show is really going to be like, it made it all too easy to predict how the pieces were going to fall in place. It can be argued though that this was because I saw Akiyuki Shinbo invert the magical girl genre 8 years ago with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. I imagine the impact of Madoka would have been far more earth-shaking had I not known in advance from watching Nanoha that this would be another deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre.

This is still a very good show though, one of my Top 5s of last year. I just imagine I would have enjoyed it more had it not been so predictable following Episode 3.

Last edited by Splitter on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 30