• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop Writer Sato, New Composer Join 2012 Lupin III

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
As if the series wasn't already looking appitizing, now comes Dai Sato with the scripts (assuming he's doing most or all of the episodes). He's done so well on Eureka Seven, Ergo Proxy, and the eps. of Cowboy Bebop he worked on, so it looks like the TV series is in increasingly-good hands. April's looking real heavy on anticipated titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Dai Sato? Awesome!

Is Naruyoshi Kikuchi related to Shunsuke Kikuchi?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, in my opinion, Sato isn't a very good head writer. Not when it comes to actual series composition. He's a fine enough script writer though so I'm curious about this project.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
They're really trying to stack the deck for this series. Adding Keiko Nobumoto would've been better, but Dai Sato is good. A Lupin III series seems out of his wheelhouse as he's written mostly for science fiction series before, but he's done good work for those and he wrote for Cowboy Bebop, which had some of the same spirit as Lupin III.

I'm really curious about Naruyoshi Kikuchi. His only prior anime credits are as a musician, not a composer. There's some of his work available on Youtube and through Amazon.com. I've only listened to a little, but it seems really solid and I look forward to hearing more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I like Sato for hard sci-fi, but he's shitty with more mainstream stuff. [See Tekken.]
BluEyeDiamond

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
At first I was happy to hear news about Dai Sato, especially for Lupin III; however, when I remembered that the Eureka Seven sequel is premiering eight days later, I was very disappointed that Sato is not working on the project (as of yet).
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Is Naruyoshi Kikuchi related to Shunsuke Kikuchi?

Apparently not, but he is the brother of Hideyuki Kikuchi.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Still disappointed that we can't have Yuji Ohno again (do we have any idea why he's not on board for this?), but still looking greatly forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
I've listened to a little more of whatever of Naruyoshi Kikuchi's music i could find free and easy, which has made me really excited about what he might add to the series.

His style seems to be eclectic, but a lot of it feels close enough to the jazz of the fifties and sixties for me to feel very at home with it. That's the era that Yoko Kanno's work on Cowboy Bebop evoked, which is a very promising sign, although his work is more musically adventurous than most of the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack*. Some of his work strays a bit far afield from what the 'uninitiated' would enjoy, but he's not likely to go very crazy with the soundtrack for this series. I wouldn't mind if he sometimes did; some of it remind me a little of Jackie McLean, who's one of my favorites.

There are a whole mess of samples available on his Amazon.com artist page and there are some videos of his sextet on youtube (here are three that seem fairly representative)

*Thinking of this has much curious as to what she'll do for Appollo on the Slope; I think that the jazz for Cowboy Bebop was deliberately kept very accessible so it meld into a scene and not distract or deter general audiences, but given that Appollo on the Slope is in part about jazz and will probably sometimes put the music at the fore, I wonder if she'll be successfully more adventurous.
sburstall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
I'm getting goosepimples just seeing all the talent on a classic series. And I thought Spring 2012 was going to be an average season.
Hamiltion97

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
He's a fine enough script writer though so I'm curious about this project.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Awesome news is awesome.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Eagerly awaiting the announcement that a subititled version will be simulcast. Although I daresay if this gets a dub, Adult Swim will be all over this! I mean it's looking like a touch of Bebop with Lupin characters. Now Lupin never was a big breadwinner for [as], even as far as anime titles go, but with Bebop's writer it's looking like it might take more of an Action/Comedy bent like some of the better episodes of Bebop.

Don't get me wrong: Goemon was able to do some amazing things in the old series, but I'm REALLY looking forward to some creative swordplay in this show! In fact, if we don't get at least one contender for Best Anime Swordfight of 2012 out of this, I'll be a little disappointed.
sixtopia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Don't get me wrong: Goemon was able to do some amazing things in the old series, but I'm REALLY looking forward to some creative swordplay in this show! In fact, if we don't get at least one contender for Best Anime Swordfight of 2012 out of this, I'll be a little disappointed.

I'm not putting my hopes up. Since the show seems like it's going to feature Fujiko more, and Goemon has less patience for Fuji-cakes than anyone else, I don't think there will be much Goemon at all.

Also, if this is the early days, usually Goemon is depicted as coming in late to the group and even starting off as an enemy of Lupin's. I would not be surprised if the first few eps don't even have Goemon.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Really? I thought it was Jigen who had less patience with Fujiko. Fujiko has teamed up with Goemon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2