• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
I remember seeing some series in Shounen Jump the other week that I was surprised was being published in Shounen Jump. It seemed pretty racy.

By American standards, sure. This is Japan, where my co-workers taught 2-year olds to make oppai in the sandbox and weren't fired.

That's really sick and creepy territory right there. He/she should not be working with children.

Especially since some 2-year-olds might have only recently come off being breast fed and probably still bathe with their mothers. You're right. Sick and creepy indeed. These children should be learning to feel shame and embarrassment from breasts!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
It has to be done, it can't helped....

Shiba Inu Koo, whatsamatta with you?
You don't act like other shiba inu
You wear a disguise
to look like human guys
But you're not human
you're a shiba inu, Koo

She's a giant dog, I tells ya!

Yeah, didn't work for more than a couple sketches there either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
snickersnack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
But you're not human
you're a shiba inu, Koo

Haha, thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of Chicken Boo when I heard Shiba Inoku-san's premise!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Truthfully, I love to read the Anime Preview guides, if only to read what Zac has to say about the new anime. Honestly, If your having a bad day, this is the perfect article to read to make a mood much better.

As Zac may be one of few people that can make a generic anime series (such as Zetman) look completely hilarious even if that wasn't the original intent. Let's not forget, interesting as well. In short, I can now say my day was awesome.
blackseer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
While the anime I've been waiting for haven't aired yet (except for Zetman, but I have a feeling I won't like it), I'll try the new Saint Seiya tomorrow.

Regarding Saint Seiya Omega, where are the Brazillians otakus, praising the series like it's the best show ever? Aren't there any ANN user from Brazil?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
Was Saint Seiya big in Brazil? Interesting.

Saint Seiya Omega is obviously channelling the spirit of the 80s and that's where the franchise should have stayed. The main character SHOUTS ALL OF HIS LINES LIKE THIS, the woman who trains him has metal cones for breasts, the transformation sequence has the dude going through something like seven different poses for the audience, and the villain is so bloody cheesy he would be too immature for a Saturday morning cartoon.

I'm not saying the show is bad, just that it is a holdover from a bygone era, an era that best belongs in our collective memories and in YouTube videos mocking the decade.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
It's sort of fascinating seeing the responses to Saint Seiya Omega from people not familiar with the original series.

I'm a huge fan of the original, and I loved every minute of the new show--well, okay, every minute that didn't feature Mars, joke villain du jour--but probably a lot of that was because I had context for what was going on and was already invested in the returning characters. So, yes, it's a little surreal to see Shaina constantly being dismissively referred to by her breastplate and nothing else, when I'm already familiar with her character arc and excited to see her training the main character.

I'm not expecting others to love it, mind you, but I think there's a lot to be said for the style and direction--as well as the usage of color--even beyond narrative concerns.

I'd hate to see Saint Seiya constrained to the 80's! Surely there's room for updated versions of beloved series alongside adaptions of popular manga and original material, right? Especially when one has as much love put into it as Saint Seiya Omega. (The OP especially gave me chills.)
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
If you ask me, the new Saint Seiya has the potential to be the best battle show in decades. It has good animation and action directors, award winning character designer and it is seemingly very unpretentious. This could mean maximum enjoyment factor ala TTGL if it does things right. I'm hopeful for at least the action and technical stuff, so the rest will come to directing and script.

Oh, and people better off not listening to fan critic. Entering the SS universe myself recently, I can safely say that it has one of the most obnoxious fanbases I've ever seen, only topped by the infamous Gundam fanbase. These guys will complain about absolutely anything like that the characters don't look muscular enough or that they aren't carrying huge boxes around or that the main cast is changed. Things that don't matter at all for a normal watcher. It is obviously meant to be a new Saint Seiya to introduce for new audiences and not pander some fans of the very mediocre first series, which isn't that great anyway if you didn't watch it as a kiddo.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
While some specific series may be targeted towards younger audiences, I wouldn't necessarily say the entirely magazine itself is.

See, here's where "targeted" becomes the keyword. "Target" means the level that it's written to and towards whom the merchandise is aimed. The audience is whoever reads it, which may be well outside its target. Think of all the middle-aged women who read Twilight, or all the adults who read Harry Potter.

I will also totally admit that in a different region (I don't live in a heavily urbanized area), series that have a smaller audience than One Piece like Bleach and Naruto may also have a more noticeable adult following, whereas here they're too small to show up much. Everyone drives cars here, too, so the whole commuter culture you find in, say, Tokyo doesn't really exist.

I see what you're saying. (And it's not often that I am persuaded by someone's explanation so kudos to you!)

I commute to and from work in Tokyo every day and I can definitely say that there are many adults who read Jump and enjoy Bleach and Naruto. Not entirely related, but it puts a smile on my face whenever I see someone reading a non-Jump series that I like. The other day I saw a guy reading Oofuri, and I've seen several guys with Nyanko Sensei straps on their phones. =)

Also, it's nice to see an English teacher who actually knows English. I taught English for a year and though I didn't say it to anyone's face, some of my co-workers' English grammar was pretty meh. I find that many native English speakers these days have horrible grammar and spelling. Have standards dropped in school? >_>;

dtm42 wrote:
Was Saint Seiya big in Brazil? Interesting.

Saint Seiya has a HUGE following in Brazil. Outside Japan, the series is probably most popular in South America (mainly Brazil) and Europe (mainly Spain and France).
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
just saw lupin fujiko anime yea so i guess slowly how lupin & fujiko meet.

give way it went quite ok give way designs on it quite unique i say wonder how will go give it’s going to be 13eps series give based on fujiko?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
well, I suppose medeka box will be bashed or will get some lukewarm recepitation. I know whats to come but the first episode makes medaka come off as a mary sue in a sense (which is acctually a plot point) and Zenikichi dosn't have the same swag as Kyon from haruhi to keep a audience involved if they didn't like the female lead.

Fortunatly though, that kind of show isn't at all what medaka box will become

I can't wait for the lupin the third review, as I enjoyed that very much (and no not just for the tits!)

Space brothers definetly has me sold, so I don't think theres much for me to discuss about it at the momment. well, I'll beback when some more reviews come in!
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

The problem with Medaka Box... think how long it takes to read 15 chapters of manga.. now how long does it take to watch 11 episodes of anime.... that's a much bigger time investment... and even though Medaka Box could be the poster child for "It gets better latter" people hear that so much these days no one takes note of it.

Than you have to factor in the Medaka will never reach the heights of the manga... and well that's all she wrote. Gainax going with a by the book adaption was expected... considering who they have left... but it was the wrong call for Medaka Box.

And yep Zen doesn't have enough swag to carry this show lol... maybe as he is in the manga now... but considering Kumagawa has no [expletive] chance of getting animated.. lol @ Zen actually being a decent character getting animated as well.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
There's no simulcast for Lupin, is there? I'm a little surprised Zac watched it.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

The problem with Medaka Box... think how long it takes to read 15 chapters of manga.. now how long does it take to watch 11 episodes of anime.... that's a much bigger time investment... and even though Medaka Box could be the poster child for "It gets better latter" people hear that so much these days no one takes note of it.

Than you have to factor in the Medaka will never reach the heights of the manga... and well that's all she wrote. Gainax going with a by the book adaption was expected... considering who they have left... but it was the wrong call for Medaka Box.

And yep Zen doesn't have enough swag to carry this show lol... maybe as he is in the manga now... but considering Kumagawa has no [expletive] chance of getting animated.. lol @ Zen actually being a decent character getting animated as well.

We have no way of knowing exactly how long it'll take to reach that point though (especially since the full episode is still unconfirmed). Considering that the preview for the next episode showed what looks to be a couple of chapters of the manga, it may not take as long to get there as we though.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Hm, thats true, but I still find some of it enjoyable spoiler[ (the scene with zenikichi and the dog had me crying laughing, I can't wait to see that animated)] well considering the following it has from the manga alone, I'm sure a big enough boom in forums will occur to insight some more intrest once the you know what happens. but we'll just have to see. It'll be fun seeing the heads spin though Cool

I acctually think Kumagawa's got a pretty good shot of getting animated, what considering he's the creators favorite, the whole spoiler[end of the manga arc being over and the fact that the chapter alone, could very easily handle as a conclusion] I know gainex has a dicey record for endings, but I think they would have to be the shittiest shitheads on the planet to mess this up. its pretty stright forward. to me at least. If I misunderstood anything please enlighten me.

I have to say I'm pleasently surpised to see it get a 3, in my book that shows accomplishment, but its obvious they are betting on this failing later. If this winds up on bamboos list we can gamble how many weeks it will last before the you know what Laughing

Still waiting on lupin, Plus I need to find a better streaming site, the one I saw it on had very crappy pixilated resolution that was NOT fitting for the artwork.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 69