• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Modern Magica

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I suspect the weird nipple shapes come straight from hentai doujinshi trends, but I'm not exactly an erotica expert.

ahem, perky missile nipples can be found in real life too

Quote:
Knowing the characters were designed by a lady added another weird level to my viewing experience.

it's not just yaoi. Though not a majority, it's common enough to find female mangaka in male-oriented titles
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Inu X Boku encapsulates that moment of regret when you reach for an Oreo only to realize the package is empty, and you're about to be sick because oh my god, I just ate an entire box of Oreos.

What an appropriate metaphor! Laughing

I was a little more patient with the anime just because I happened to be up-to-date with the manga, so I knew there would eventually be a payoff for certain characters and their relationships, but I definitely found the anime's extra padding to be...trying.

As it was, the scenes that did work for me worked really well, but I'll be the first to concede that the series as a whole is a bit of a trope-ridden mess. A pretty mess, though.

I've heard the manga takes one hell of a dark turn later on, though. That might be worth checking out. (Or maybe that's the point at which it well and truly jumps the shark, who knows?)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
so it's all sh** this week.. well now i feel your pain erin but damn it must be hard to salvage anything from those series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
InoxBoku SS runs in Monthly Gangan Joker which can not be specified to just one type of audience. I mean it is the magazine which has Caught in the carnage between my girlfriend and my childhood friend and Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Zero for three.

Ouch.

I actually considered watching Inu X Boku SS because the premise was just odd enough to make me curious, but it seems like I was wise not to bother.

Erin Finnegan wrote:
That means Sekirei was penned by a lady who normally draws yaoi!

Well, I suppose that he rational would be, to quote The Waitresses,"I Know What Boys Like." I always remember Yuji Moriyama talking about on his commentary for Project A-ko how one of the female animators particularly exaggerated the girls' bosoms in his commentary track.

I suppose that Modern Magic Made Easy has a novel premise, but it sounds like a bore.

I think that the utlimate programmer fanservice anime would involve something like the girls from Upotte!! crossed with Persocoms designed by Makoto Uno that have'strategically' placed keyboards and, uh, distinctive response sounds in lieu of the standard Windows *ding*.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
it's too bad, the last 2 eps of inu x boku SS were pretty sweet. it doesn't excuse the rest of the show for being unhealthy junk food and a major irritation despite all the things it had going for it however.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Not bad, the Macross Frontier, Rozen Maiden, and some of the old school titles were interesting to check out.

I was a fan of Sekirei as well although I'm not sure what to say on Modern Magic and Inu x Boku SS.

Overall, great collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
A couple of parts of the Modern Magic review stood out to me.

Quote:
First, I hate midichlorians. That is to say, I liked Star Wars better before Lucas made The Force based in “science;” generally, I guess you could say I'm against explaining magic systems with science, and this show makes magic less magical.

I too hate midichlorians, but they were a silly and stupid sounding addition to a movie series that hard already clearly established the Force as a clearly mystical energy field. I don't really have an issue with "science" magic as long as it is handled well and a part of the core premise of the series, rather than a silly retcon. But to each their own I guess, and if that type of magic bothers you, it does.

Quote:
Second, I think this series glorifies programmers as wizards. A lot of the spells are just programs. Even in the show they're called “scripts”. I'm not sure if how many Japanese anime otaku are programmers, but if it's a significant number, this is truly “fan service” of the highest order. Imagine if this were a series aimed at a demographic of accountants; the girls would probably do magic using math.

Is it just me, or is this paragraph a bit odd? I mean, to me the program thing just sounds like a logical extension of the whole "magic = science" thing, and part of the show's attempt to make magic a bit unique. If a show had done a "magic = cooking" premise, with "recipes" instead of programs, would you have rejected it as fanservice aimed at cooks and accused it of glorifying cooks as wizards?

I don't know, maybe I'm nitpicking here, but I just have a hard time telling where you're coming from in that paragraph.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Second, I think this series glorifies programmers as wizards. A lot of the spells are just programs. Even in the show they're called “scripts”. I'm not sure if how many Japanese anime otaku are programmers, but if it's a significant number, this is truly “fan service” of the highest order. Imagine if this were a series aimed at a demographic of accountants; the girls would probably do magic using math.
I have submitted my petition to have my job title changed from "software developer" to "wizard". Very Happy

To be fair, the "magic as programs" concept has been done before; Oh! My Goddess did it over 20 years ago. (Which is actually awesome, thinking about it.) Though maybe they actually delve into programming in this show? If it gets too detailed then I can see where you're coming from. OMG taps some concepts but, considering we're dealing with divine software, understandably doesn't show any code. :p I might have to endure a few episodes just to see what's happening.

This looks like it was a pretty rough week.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, I hate midichlorians. That is to say, I liked Star Wars better before Lucas made The Force based in “science;” generally, I guess you could say I'm against explaining magic systems with science, and this show makes magic less magical.

Quote:
I too hate midichlorians, but they were a silly and stupid sounding addition to a movie series that hard already clearly established the Force as a clearly mystical energy field. I don't really have an issue with "science" magic as long as it is handled well and a part of the core premise of the series, rather than a silly retcon. But to each their own I guess, and if that type of magic bothers you, it does.

Well that's george lucas for ya the only time I have seen or even ran across midichlorians being okay in any form of media was in parasite eve franchise. This is mainly because it went "this is explained only through the science route". I don't think any other IP has ever been able to pull that off greatly like parasite eve has done but that's my opinion.

On this weeks self-life.. well bro you have some nice stuff.. very nice stuff indeed even I am a tad jealous but hey keep adding to your collection when you can ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I actually considered watching Inu X Boku SS because the premise was just odd enough to make me curious, but it seems like I was wise not to bother

I don't think you can go just on her review.

The show isn't a favorite of mine, but its very pleasantly amusing.

Needed more Riri/Karuta though.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
it's too bad, the last 2 eps of inu x boku SS were pretty sweet. it doesn't excuse the rest of the show for being unhealthy junk food and a major irritation despite all the things it had going for it however.

I agree, the last 2-3 episodes actually give some important information about Ririchiyo and Soushi and Kagerou, with very nice payoff ending for the show. But I definitely understand why you gave up just before that - I might have too, if I had more to do in March. Maybe the series works better in smaller doses?
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
I suspect the weird nipple shapes come straight from hentai doujinshi trends, but I'm not exactly an erotica expert.

ahem, perky missile nipples can be found in real life too

Man, I knew someone would say that. I don't know, they're really freaky. It's not like I haven't seen a variety of nipples in my day. I've never seen an areola raised at like, a 45 degree angle between the skin and the nipple in real life or in a photograph or video before. I considered grabbing a screencap of Sekirei to illustrate my point but decided it would be too incriminating. Likewise, if such nipple shapes do exist, and you send me a link to a photo, it's going to be NSFW.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Three strikes, we're out
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I really like shows that give big science-like explinations to their magic. I don't like seeing things un-explained or just "Assume it works and leave it at that, but that may simply be my Inner-Conworlder speaking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4