• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Explains Why Avatar 2/3 Will Precede Battle Angel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
And the fact that Avatar will definitely make a bajillion dollars and Battle Angel likely will not probably was a bit of a factor in that decision too.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
I've been actually pretty interested to see what Cameron can do with the series ever since he acquired it (how long has it been????). I really hope I can see the movie during my lifetime...lol.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
I almost wanted this to be, no matter how inexplicably, about British Prime Minister David Cameron and perhaps the risen zombie of late Pennsylvanian politician Simon Cameron.

You say you want to keep, "a world audience cognizant of our relationship with nature," I say the first one made $2,782,275,172 and made people want to screw imaginary cat-smurfs on another planet, so let's call the whole thing off.

Yes, I'm bitter, but it isn't because Battle Angel has been delayed. Something about Avatar pisses me off and has from the start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Yes, I'm bitter, but it isn't because Battle Angel has been delayed. Something about Avatar pisses me off and has from the start.

Probably because the hype was unbearable, and the movie itself isn't all that amazing once you get through it. Yeah it's nice to see things blow up and mecha hunt down a bunch of smurfs, but then people actually try to credit the movie with originality or good writing... No.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Oh, was it time for Cameron's yearly empty promise already? My, how the time flies.

I don't mean to be too petty and vindictive about this whole affair, because honestly I'm not the biggest fan of Battle Angel the world has ever seen, but the endlessly-repeating "it's totally coming guys, super serial!" thing has worn a bit thin. I'd much rather he keep quiet about it at this point until he's actually doing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'm not particularly desperate to see this adapted, mostly because I don't really have much experience with the Battle Angel property, but I'd rather Cameron (and those who somehow see the need to bring up the topic in interviews) just let the subject rest until he's done with Avatar instead of trying to explain things that almost everyone can already imagine on their own.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
First it was next, then it was after the Avatar sequel. Now it's after the Avatar trilogy? Yeah. It's never coming out...
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
I lost interest. I hope Battle Angel doesn't get made into a movie because Cameron, the guy who made Terminator, The Abyss, and True Lies....makes Avatar, the biggest piece of crap in the history of biggest pieces of crap. Why so many people liked it? Mostly teens wowed by special effects and 3D, almost everyone who saw it (and liked it) said the story is nothing special, so I'm not out of line or overly opinionated by saying it was a waste of time.

Cameron, you've lost it mate.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
I don't really get why people have Avatar so much. It was an okay movie. Not really worth the amount of hate, though. Unless it's because they want this movie sooner or something.
javeska

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
That's the thing about Avatar. Ferngully did it first.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I see the good the Avatar franchise can do in terms of keeping a world audience cognizant of our relationship with nature, but doing it in an entertainment context.

Here he is... the biggest douche in the uuuuuuuuniverse ♪
Super Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
Avatar was a great movie. And yes, calling someone a douche for using nature themes is totally intellectual and not childish at all. That has never been overtly done by someone in anime. Nope. Not ever. At all. Especially, by the most famous anime director alive. He didn't do that. Really, you're not a hypocrite. I mean it. Now go along and watch your loli harem ecchi shows.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Super Ninja wrote:
Avatar was a great movie. And yes, calling someone a douche for using nature themes is totally intellectual and not childish at all. That has never been overtly done by someone in anime. Nope. Not ever. At all. Especially, by the most famous anime director alive. He didn't do that. Really, you're not a hypocrite. I mean it. Now go along and watch your loli harem ecchi shows.
I suspect he's being called a douche because he's suggesting that his movies are so powerful that they actually change the way people think about nature.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
The only interesting thing about Avatar was the Na'vi conlang.

Cameron actually got a real linguist to make it, and it shows. It's not perfect, but it's very interesting. Ejectives, tripartite morphosyntactic alignment....rest of the movie was 100% average/boring. And the enviromental soapbox and "HYOOMANS ARE EBUL" message was unbearable.

/studies linguistics
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Super Ninja wrote:
I suspect he's being called a douche because he's suggesting that his movies are so powerful that they actually change the way people think about nature.

Not to mention the huge amount of resources put into the movie. Or the energy and materials that went into producing all those 3D glasses that were most likely only worn once. Or the fact that Cameron couldn't just release one version of the movie on DVD and Blu-ray. No, no, there needed to be THREE different versions. Then you have the tie-in products, and the merchandise...
I'm not normally hyper-critical of stuff like this - I do collect anime and movies after all. But when a director releases a movie that is so self-righteous and preachy with it's environmental message, it seems a bit hypocritical for this movie to be so environmentally unfriendly.

(Oh, before anyone else says it, I do realize that saying all the above makes me sound like a total ass.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4