• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Guilty Crown Episodes 13-22 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Unless this show is currently airing and you get to see the episodes one by one with other fans and discuss them while speculating on the next and what else is to come, I can't recommend Guilty Crown to anyone for any reason. It's a mess of terrible writing, horrible characters, and absolutely no structure or regard for consistency or build up. Watching it alone and having no one else to enthusiastically discuss it with would be absolute torture. The fun of the show was how utterly dumb it was and talking about how it wallows it its own stupidity but somehow doesn't realize it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unless this show is currently airing and you get to see the episodes one by one with other fans and discuss them while speculating on the next and what else is to come, I can't recommend Guilty Crown to anyone for any reason. It's a mess of terrible writing, horrible characters, and absolutely no structure or regard for consistency or build up. Watching it alone and having no one else to enthusiastically discuss it with would be absolute torture. The fun of the show was how utterly dumb it was and talking about how it wallows it its own stupidity but somehow doesn't realize it.

I assumed that would happen by episode 2 simply because that's what happened with Code Geass which Guilty Crown was clearly based on.

The idea of a plot that has twist and turns all the time might sound good on paper but the plot is always going to turn into a mess because it's impossible to keep the story going in that circumstances. You have to give the time for the story to actually calm down. You have to actually setup those plot twist, just so the story doesn't come off like the writer is just writing down whatever he thinks in his head.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I assumed that would happen by episode 2 simply because that's what happened with Code Geass which Guilty Crown was clearly based on.

And yet many of the people who liked that other show, myself included, wouldn't recommend Guilty Crown.

There are certain ways to make even a messy plot full of twists work. Here that clearly didn't happen.

I'm not going to waste time with the usual comparisons, but I will reiterate that I couldn't finish this one.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
A jumbled plot, lots of bad clichés, weak characters.

Whoa, after reading this line I wouldn't think that the story get a C+, thought it was going to be lower.

I admit, when GC first came out a lot of people got hook up to it due to the artistry but after a while, it became like "God, it sucks!". I think cliche are nice, maybe it doesn't have a bit of originality in it, but keeping the audience at the edge of their seats is something that a cliche show can manage. Sadly but true, with its awful direction, rush job, throwing a bunch of badass wannabe character makes no one cares about the series anymore. GC is something that would make people enjoy its first half, the rest not so much. It certainly has some plot twist and explaining to do, but they were all too rush, clinging all one at a time only makes the story an even messier bunch than it already is. spoiler[Shu is truly one of the most annoying jerkass I've even seen, it doesn't feel like he's been developed at all, just jump from personalities: a helpless coward to some dicktactor then badass wannabe who always goes "Inori! Inori!", who is also boring to a fault that didn't make me care or root for.]. The only reason I managed to finish the whole thing is because I wanted to see how things would turn out, and the experience wasn't a pleasant one.

Perhaps the only good thing about GC is its amazing efforts in artistry, but after a few episodes, it's became pointless. Oh well, might as well as enjoy these pointlessness for what they're worth. Okay, I'm done ranting.

I haven't seen CG yet but a lot of people have been comparing these two. GC = CG's reverse code.

Last edited by Takamachi Ryoko on Sat May 12, 2012 6:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

And yet many of the people who liked that other show, myself included, wouldn't recommend Guilty Crown.

There are certain ways to make a messy plot full of twists work. Here that didn't happen.

I'm not going to waste time with the usual comparisons, but I will reiterate that I couldn't finish this one.

From what little I have seen of Guilty Crown, it just came off like Code Geass without any of Code Geass positives (I actually do like the first twenty episodes of Code Geass).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:

I haven't seen CG yet but a lot of people have been comparing these two. GC = CG's reverse code.

Code Geass gets a worse rap than it deserves.

Yes, its got problems, especially in its second season, but at no point is it nearly as awful as Guilty Crown (or at least the 8~9 episodes of Guilty Crown I watched). It helps that Lelouch is a good lead character, masterfully acted by one of the best male seiyuu in the business. Shuu....is not, was not, and his actor definitely isn't.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Oh, SO true. Guilty Crown; dropped every week.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
I didn't' realise how misanthropic the show was until I read this review; I thought that all its problems were characterisation and plot dependant. But now I can't help but think that that is one of the big reasons why I didn't connect with the show.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
There were some similarities with Code Geass in the very beginning, but not further on. The second part was no more similar to Code Geass than, say, Akira manga.

I did catch the seeming misanthropy during he whole school leadership fiasco, but wrote it down to simply primitive writing instead of being intentional. In anyway it was nowhere near Gantz levels, so it didn't trouble me much. and it was too boring to care anyway. I watched it mainly for the pretty pictures spoiler[and Ayase].
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong I hated this anime,but saying its middle is bad because it is misanthropic would be equivalent to saying Pale Rider is bad cause there are no good humans in it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this after episode eleven or twelve(whatever was the one with the midseries cliffhanger, where spoiler[Inori was kidnapped]). Or perhaps it's more accurate to say I couldn't rekindle what little interest I had after the New Year's break. Glad to see I didn't really miss much.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
This is so apparently bad I almost want to watch it because of how it gets trashed.

Is this show "so bad it's good" or just "so bad it's horrible"?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
This is so apparently bad I almost want to watch it because of how it gets trashed.

Both at times. Most of the entertainment derived from the show was talking about it while it was still fresh, for the first time, when no one else on the planet aside from the producers knew what was coming. I would have recommended it at that point if you wanted to see a high budget trainwreck, but as that time is gone and can no longer happen, it's best if you sit this one out.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

It's just not interesting. It looks great and has a good soundtrack, but the characters, as the review says, are underwritten and the plot is all over the place.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
the show didn't even have episodes written 4 episodes ahead of when it was on tv I heard. that explains the sudden personality shifts, and no one being able to stay within the rules the show made for itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5