• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Still Fighting It

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Virtua fighter is sometimes fun to play, but I agree with the opinion of an uninspiring character roster. The characters and moves in VF are realistic and it takes away from my enjoyment.

The only characters I enjoy seeing are Akira (because of his scary striking moves) and Jacky (because of what he says during battle).
configspace

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
The Shin Koihime Musou arcade fighter looks pretty good (albeit with static backgrounds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Sd4XwV7Oc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOhX0jSFEww
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
Man, I wish that Tales SRPG would come out over here... some of my favorite characters, AND it's an SRPG.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Gotta admit I'm getting more and more interested in Dragon's Dogma. Maybe if I can work my way through a bit more of my backlog (which just got bigger thanks to Hakuoki) I might pick it up.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed to see that Atelier Meruru was pubshed back a week, but oh well. I've got enough of a backlog that I wouldn't have played it right away anyway.

Persona 4 Arena is one of my most hyped games for the rest of the year. I love Blazblue/Guilty Gear AND Persona, so it should be an amazing game.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
The Shin Koihime Musou arcade fighter looks pretty good...

*drools

One can only dream.

*reserves 2GB for game install that'll never come. Anime cry
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Few cherish Kaiser Knuckle's memory.

The ability to throw fellow combatants through windows and shōji stands in the game's favour. That such obstacles were subject to parallax deformation when scrolling — vis-à-vis the comparative scarcity of such an effect on SNK titles — is another source for praise, albeit of minimal significance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Tokitowa: I'm equally interested in the cute dragon who is allowed to take tea with the ladies. I've seen a lot of him to know he's obviously the princess's companion, but I'd like some more details. ;D

KH 3D: Hunchback of Notre Dame and Tron Legacy might be the main hooks for people who want to play this. I don't think they're going to bring back Quasimodo's original voice actor though, are they? Getting Victor and Hugo's original voices is a great piece of nostalgia on the other hand.

Tales of Tactics Union: It's funny, there was a Tales of Tactics on the mobile over there years back. Now they're releasing a more enhanced one with Union slapped on the end and putting it on the Android. This actually looks like a side Tales I would pay to play. Of course, considering we never got any of the Tales mobile games before, that's a big negatory.

Persona 4 Arena: Doesn't matter how zany or over the top it is, Persona fans still want to play it. At least Chie is getting a more competent and professional actress this time around. May Tracey Rooney never put her lips near a recording microphone again.

Senzo Kuyou: Holy hell, those faces. D:

Dragon's Dogma: Copying from Dragonheart? I'm telling! D: That aside, yeah less than zero interest in this.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri May 25, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Aw, no love for Virtua Fighter? It's definitely a more technical fighter than most 3D fighters, but that's the charm and it's definitely not for everyone (definitely not a button masher or random moves type game). I remember the days of spending too much money in the arcades playing VF2 until I got a Saturn.

I do wish though SEGA revived their other old 3D fighting games like Fighting Vipers or Last Bronx.

And, wait? Power Instinct is still around? Hot damn. That was always a fun, quirky fighting game.

Vanguard Princes is really fun. Even with no console port on the horizon, it should still be a free download for the PC. A cheap laptop and two arcade stick or pads and you're ready to go.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Perhaps it'll scare off Western players with the overt anime collusion, but Aquapazza's already received a fair share of attention. And its PlayStation 3 version may get more notice yet when it arrives in Japan this July.

When you mean Western Players, you mean those from the rest of the world or just from the U.S.?
Otishio

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I really do hope for a release outside of Japan for Tokitowa. The game looks amazing, literally. I would love to play. It's also gonna be an inconvenience that the game is PS3 only but I bet I could find some way to play it.
FinalArcadia

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's just not any really appealing characters in Virtua Fighter. Tekken is my fighting game of choice, where everyone is more distinctive (in my opinion).

Shame that Atelier Meruru has been delayed a week, as it won't be out in time for my birthday now (BLAST!), but I can't wait to play it. It'll be bittersweet, knowing it's the end of the Arland saga...
DJcream

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Going down the list of fighting games mentioned this week:

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown: For a 3-button game, the VF series is seriously one of the hardest fighting games to learn and become competitive. I give that game a lot of respect since it has one of the best tutorial and training mode options available in fighting games. Luckily NorCal happens to have a poppin' VF scene so at least watching this game at tournaments isn't boring; but this game is not for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCmr-v-1dCU

Kensai: Sacred Fist: Jeezus, how do you even remember this Tekken 3 knockoff? I had the dubious honor of playing a random game money match in this game and lost. Poverty fighting is too strong.

Aquapazza: I'll admit, this is has my interest. The combo system looks simple and I love the fact that assists can used to not only further combos, but even provide situational support (Yuki from White Album locks the opponent's assist for a LONG time). The game is about to get featured in Japan's big SBO tourney for the 2nd time in a row so I'm going to enjoy watching high level play from that stream.

Chaos Code: I'm pretty sure I've seen this game way back when it was first introduced in the JP arcade scene. Back then, the game looked impressive but this was during a time when there wasn't a lot of selection in the fighting game market. Nowadays, this game looks like it lacks some sort of polish and identity to breakaway from the rest of the pack.

Persona 4: Ultimate Arena: I've never seen a fighting game that can unify a particular part of the fighting game community like P4U. I'm seeing a lot of buzz for this game among my friends on Twitter which spans some of the top anime fighters (Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Melty Blood) across the country. It all seems like all of the top players in these 3 seemingly divided communities will be picking this game up seriously so this is great news. Personally, I like how this game plays and it looks damn good watch. Top level play with crazy looking gameplay is a recipe for great stream opportunity.
http://youtu.be/_qg1Yt6odWU

No comment on the Shin Koihime Musou fighting game.

Power Instinct 5: Watching the KVO tournament for this game was surprisingly entertaining. I wasn't a big follower of Matrimelee but it looked fun whenever I see it in action. Does anyone know if "Let's Go, Onmyouji" is still in this game or not? That song was hype.
http://youtu.be/ec7JCwez5IY

Vanguard Princess: I remember seeing this game get a little bit of attention on the east coast when it came out. Then again, they also played Akatsuki Blitzkampf, so I'm not surprised. Personally, I respect this game for being a doujin game because it was solidly built from the get go. The lack of special canceling (doing something like cr.mk xx fireball) is kind of a trip so the game quickly put characters with great fireballs or long-distance pokes to the top of the tier-list. I've been hearing the same thing about some sort of effort to bring the game stateside, I'll see whats up if there's going to be any announcements in the upcoming convention season.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
DJcream wrote:

Luckily NorCal happens to have a poppin' VF scene so at least watching this game at tournaments isn't boring; but this game is not for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCmr-v-1dCU

I was at this; so much hype.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Most fighters I see on that article are pretty much a hit or miss to me anyway...

And if anyone cares, Phantom Breaker is actually gonna be released on 6/12, took so long, sheesh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3