• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Expo Exposed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Not that I like all the shooter/slasher/violent video games either but I don't think it's a problem.

After buying the 3DS at release I'm being cautious with the Wii U and Vita. Gunganir looks like a title for me to pick up, and Code of Princess
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
I'm going to be a little blunt here, but anyone who believes consoles should be given exclusives need to realize this is no longer a gaming market, but an entertainment market, the very one constantly bitching about loss in sales.

"But Kratos isn't on the 360!", they whine, which instantly means the developer is seeing only 1/3 of revenue despite multiple other platforms being out there.

While I certainly have no issues with console studios developing games for its own system, it's laughable to think third party developers be kept in check to only one console.

Not only would additional revenue help towards future releases of exceptional games, they can also help make up losses for those games which suck (people will always buy bad games, usually due to misleading information).

I'm hoping part two focus a bit more on the options several consoles are going to bring forward, because they're becoming more important. Yes, I know some gamers out there hate the fact their consoles are no longer for games, but this is the change necessary to remain viable in the digital distribution era.

It's no longer necessary to have "TV", "radio", "movies", and "books" come from different sources when it can all be digitally transmitted to those who want this choice.

For the rest, well, it's just a matter of time before "Objection" turns to "Compliance".

E3 wasn't exciting this year, but sadly, it's been this way for several of them now.

This article had a tone of disappointment. I am not surprised.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Dude, I applauded the end of The Last of Us gameplay video while merely watching it from my computer screen, because it was awesome! The AI, the realistic interaction, the intensity, all solid stuff. I'm not disturbed by non-real people killing one another (especially since said "victim" was trying to kill you and a teenage girl, not exactly earning much sympathy from me), if I did I'd never be able to play a GTA game.

Hopefully it will come out this year as practically all the stuff I was interested in has been pushed back to 2013 (Bioshock Infinite, Studio Ghibli RPG, South Park RPG).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, much of Microsoft's lineup was a typical spate of racing games, fitness programs, musical simulators, and, of course, first-person shooters. The few intriguing games were vaguely defined

Sorry, Todd, but the ONLY intriguing game there was Forza Horizon, a racing game, which, by the way, is shaping up to be anlandmark in racing games, to anyone who actually gives a shit about them.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Here's how I'll break down E3 2012

Sony 3/5. Last of us looks amazing! 3eyond looks fantastic! New God of war will be good as they always are. All-Star Battle looks very cool. Ni No Kuni looks glorious and Vita is getting some great exclusives.

Microsoft 2/5. Keeping it safe with sequels of Gears Of War, Halo, and Forza. Lots of 3rd party exclusive content. But not too many exclusives.

Nintendo 2/5. Pikmin 3 looks amazing! 3DS has some great looking games coming out this year! Not enough WiiU answers: pricing, release date, backwards compatibility/transfer of downloaded games or specs. Online capabilities look very promising. Very poor press conference.

3 rd party developers 4/5. Everyone else is showing off some great new titles! EA: Dead Space 3, Medal Of Honor: Warfighter, Watch Dogs and Crisis 3. Ubisoft: ZombiU, Farcry 3, Rayman Legends, Assassins Creed 3. Square Enix: Tomb Raider and Hitman. Other Notable games: South Park: The Stick Of Truth, One Piece: Pirate Warriors, Doom 3: BFG Edition, Star Wars: 1313, Lego City Criminals and Resident Evil 6.

Overall a disappointing showing for the Big 3 but wow the 3rd party developers have some impressive games coming out.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Keeping it safe with sequels of Gears Of War, Halo, and Forza

Forza Horizon is not a sequel to Forza 4, as it's a spinoff and produced by a different company (Playground Games--Turn 10 produces the main series).

Forza runs on a two-year cycle, therefore there's no real need to announce sequels as much because they're just expected.

In addition, Forza Horizon is NOT playing it safe. It's a completely radical re-interpretation of the Forza image, and is quite different. It's based on open-road racing in Colorado, compared to the track-day style racing seen in the main Forza series. In addition, it only runs at 30 FPS (The main Forza series always runs at 60 FPS, no exceptions), and overall features a much different style. Yes, it does run off of a modified version of the Forza 4 physics engine and uses cars ripped straight deom that game, but the differences are evident.

Basically, Horizon is related to the main Forza series as Final Fantasy Tactics is related to FF; it uses some parts of the main series, but carves it's own unique path.

Sorry for the semi-rant but racing games are my favorite genre and I'm looking foward to Forza Horizon immensly. I care about almost no other game shown at E3.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm going to be a little blunt here, but anyone who believes consoles should be given exclusives need to realize this is no longer a gaming market, but an entertainment market, the very one constantly bitching about loss in sales.

"But Kratos isn't on the 360!", they whine, which instantly means the developer is seeing only 1/3 of revenue despite multiple other platforms being out there.

I will agree with you on the western game market however japan is still not open to developing games on the 360 becasue of the low sales in japan and how the console is marketed here. I will be blunt my self and say that the 360 is better for fps, wrpg and sports games with xbox live/controller while the ps3 is better for jrpg, action/adventure and 3rd person shooters.

On E3 it's self.. well breaking news to everyone I'm a handheld gamer so seeing the games that are coming out for the 3ds/Vita really have me excited at this point in time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This was the theme consistently displayed throughout the first two days of E3, when an exhibition of the latest Splinter Cell seemed to melt into a preview of Crysis 3, then into clips of Medal of Honor: Warfighter. After a while, the whole thing congealed into one big, blood-spraying mass of WarShooter Commandoman: Battledoer of Vindication, where pointblank shotgun blasts to the face drew cheers from audiences.

This is exactly how I feel. I realize I'm not the target demographic of this stuff, but it makes E3 just feel kinda lame and stale to me. I'm a lot more interested in the Tokyo Game Show since they'll actually cover games I'm interested in. The only thing in the press conferences that interested me at all was the Playstation Plus information during Sonys.

Americans and Western culture just seems to love all of this super violent and killing people stuff. I don't really get it... when I play a game, I'd rather play something more colorful and fantasy like, instead of gritty realism and murder and stuff.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
I thought "Medal of Honor: Warfighter" was a parody title.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Sorry, Todd, but the ONLY intriguing game there was Forza Horizon, a racing game, which, by the way, is shaping up to be anlandmark in racing games, to anyone who actually gives a shit about them.

I don't even like racing games that much, but I agree. Absolutely nothing for me this time around (again).
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Oh snap Ether Vapor. I remember checking that out so long ago. It was really trippy playing a game like that.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For now, [Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2's] trailer is unclear about the story being adapted, and even the title is tentative.

I can understand if you're not familiar with FotNS story, Todd, so let me assure you that the trailer knows exactly what's being adapted. Most of the trailer was recapping moments from the first game, yes, but then it ends with an ominous shot of Kaioh from the Ashura story arc, i.e. Ken's Rage 2 is adapting the Fist of the North Star 2 anime story arcs. I'm sure the whole arc involving Falco, Ein, & Jakou will be done as well as the entire Ashura story arc. Now what would be cool is if the game also adapted the stuff the anime never adapted, even though it really doesn't amount to much.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Keeping it safe with sequels of Gears Of War, Halo, and Forza

Forza Horizon is not a sequel to Forza 4, as it's a spinoff and produced by a different company (Playground Games--Turn 10 produces the main series).

Forza runs on a two-year cycle, therefore there's no real need to announce sequels as much because they're just expected.

In addition, Forza Horizon is NOT playing it safe. It's a completely radical re-interpretation of the Forza image, and is quite different. It's based on open-road racing in Colorado, compared to the track-day style racing seen in the main Forza series. In addition, it only runs at 30 FPS (The main Forza series always runs at 60 FPS, no exceptions), and overall features a much different style. Yes, it does run off of a modified version of the Forza 4 physics engine and uses cars ripped straight deom that game, but the differences are evident.

Basically, Horizon is related to the main Forza series as Final Fantasy Tactics is related to FF; it uses some parts of the main series, but carves it's own unique path.

Sorry for the semi-rant but racing games are my favorite genre and I'm looking foward to Forza Horizon immensly. I care about almost no other game shown at E3.

Your a Forza fan fair enough. They are good games don't get me wrong. And I love Gears of War and Halo.

What I was hinting at was the lack of New IP's by Microsoft. Sony Showed off Beyond and the The Last Of Us and really we got nothing new from Microsoft.

I was hoping for something amazing from them like Killer Instinct 3 from RARE or a new Perfect Dark perhaps. Or just something new.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
TGS tends to be where the Japanese developers announce the big stuff, so I'm looking forward to that.

Not into shooters so I didn't care about Microsoft

Sony focused too much on a magic book, though I do have to say.. Playstation All-Stars...really? It works for Nintendo because they have a huge library of first-party characters. Sony has... what? Honestly if you have to add a random character like a Big Daddy from Bioshock (not even a Sony-exclusive PS3 game) you need to take a step back and ask yourself if this is a good idea. As of now, the only character I remotely care about is Parappa, but the actual game mechanics look terrible.

Nintendo had the best showing, I'd say.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Considering that there was no news at all about the ONE game I most care about being released here at the moment (that being the new Fire Emblem), it was overall an extremely disappointing E3...

However, there were a few bright spots. The fact that it's looking like we will get the next Fist of the North Star game here is definitely a plus. Also, Sony had a demo of Hatsune Miku: Project Diva for the Vita going in their booth, so if anything it shows they are interested in trying to bring it here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4