• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
Not sure if this should go here or in the manga section but Vertical has put up a "what would you like to see licensed?" poll on their FB page and people can add in requests. Shogakukan and Shueisha titles aren't eligible though since apparently only Viz can license them (funny enough they didn't say anything about Kondansha which I thought would have a similar situation, especially since they had pulled all the licenses from TokyoPop/Del Ray before those two went away).
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if people are really wanting Princess Jellyfish to be picked up. Anime hyper

I put down Liar Game as I would love to see someone pick that series up. And I also voted for Life as I absolutely love that manga and was very disappointed when it was discontinued. Fingers crossed!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
...why wouldn't we want Princess Jellyfish to get picked up? o_0 I really liked the anime, and have been considering buying the volumes in Japanese. I would love an English localization.

Other than that, all I want is more Usamaru Furuya. Laughing
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
...why wouldn't we want Princess Jellyfish to get picked up? o_0

I....never said it was a bad thing? O_o I was expressing amusement over the fact that alot of people want it (which is a good thing). I myself want it as well and have voted for it. I also own the Limited Edition BD/DVD boxset of the series and Clara keychain. More English adaptions of the series would be excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhh, you meant that people really reeeaaally want PJ to get picked up, not like you were scorning it and wondering if people were serious about wanting it (which is what I thought you meant at first too).
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah, alrighty then! I also misunderstood at first. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
It is why I put " Anime hyper " at the end of my sentence. But I was also noting the fact that it is number #1 on the poll. Razz

But on a serious note, I really had no idea that the series was so popular to English consumers. I'm glad because it really is a very good series.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, is there anywhere to vote that doesn't involve Facebook? Because I don't do that.

Edit @ ZepysGirl, below: I don't do Twitter either! Laughing I was just hoping they might post it at a regular polling site of some sort (what can I say, I'm generally not a joiner).

Last edited by poonk on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
They are also taking suggestions over Twitter.

Edit: Ah, well then. Anime smile + sweatdrop I know they check these forums, so it might be worth it to post your picks here? Though I can't really blame them for using Facebook as their polling place of choice--- I don't know of a polling website that lets users input their own options like FB does. And it's a lot easier to see what's popular, as opposed to needing to tally up Tweets...

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Shogakukan and Shueisha titles aren't eligible though since apparently only Viz can license them (funny enough they didn't say anything about Kondansha which I thought would have a similar situation, especially since they had pulled all the licenses from TokyoPop/Del Ray before those two went away).

To my recollection - Ed can correct me here if I'm wrong - they have access to some of Kodansha's catalogue, but the more mainstream/popular titles are generally not available.

As for the poll, I voted for most of the existing choices, including Princess Jellyfish and CROMARTIE (bringing this title back would make me weep tears of pure joy.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
It makes me sad that Nodame isn't higher up that list. I've voted for a few things. I wish Kids on the Slope wasn't Shogakukan or that Viz would get it...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
I voted for MGX since I have been reading the scans of the manga and so far I am enjoying it.
Zeguna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Even though I already own what ADV released, I would love to see Cromartie High School completed and hopefully collected into fewer, larger volumes.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Deb Aoki on twitter summed up the "No" list:

No titles created before 2000. (Ed reports they are phasing out the classics line)
No long series. (not sure what "long" means)
Nothing from Akita Shoten.
Nothing from Shueisha or Shogakukan.
No novels.
No Go Nagai.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
In the comments of the FB page they say they're all booked for novels through 2014 so I guess sometime next year they'll be open to novel suggestions as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 24