• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Reaches Funding Goal for Unico Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
DAMN!!!! And YESSSS!! YESSSS!! YESSS!!! THis is great news. Seems there's a market for classics. Will be recommending this one. Now goes anyone have the guts to push for Jungle Emperor Leo?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
See publishers? Kickstarter is an amazing way to earn funds for "risky" titles.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
If somone does a kickstarter for oofuri i'll jump on that.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

I'm not sure if anything by Tezuka can really be considered "risky".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

I wonder how many you can fund, and how often. There's got to be a limit somewhere, where it's asking too much for too many titles that people don't want, so maybe they'll hit all the big ones first by very well known mangakas.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Kickstarter is there's a lot of stupid people with money to burn out there.. Some of the stupidest stuff gets funded.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
EpicLotus wrote:
I'm not sure if anything by Tezuka can really be considered "risky".

Well, at least in the U.S. there is only a select group of people who "know and care" who Tezuka was. I would say it is pretty safe to say most U.S. anime fans have no clue who or what Tezuka was.

Also, at least in the U.S. anime fans (and to a slightly lesser extent manga fans) don't like to watch/read anything that appears "old." Old to them may only be 5-7 years in the past. So trying to get people to watch/read something that is 36 years old is going to be more then a little difficult.

I do think we are seeing a growth in the group of people who do know, care, and enjoy older works. But that is still the minority of anime fandom, which is only so big to begin with.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder how many you can fund, and how often. There's got to be a limit somewhere, where it's asking too much for too many titles that people don't want, so maybe they'll hit all the big ones first by very well known mangakas.

Depends on the cost of the books. So far in terms of manga on Kickstarter I've only done the DMP related ones (I've only seen one other manga [non-DMP] on Kickstarter, personally). DMP has managed to spread them out that I don't feel strapped or that I have to choose.

The having to choose has been a big problem with video game Kickstarters as of late. Seems like every popular game creator from the 80s and 90s popped on all at the same time after the Double Fine Kickstarter.

I do think Kickstarter can be a great way to get a lot more risky/unusual titles out there. Though there still has to be appeal for the titles.

Last edited by Brand on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The thing about Kickstarter is there's a lot of stupid people with money to burn out there.. Some of the stupidest stuff gets funded.

We'll see how far it goes. I'll be impressed once anime series start getting licensed/funded this way.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I would not consider Tezuka that risky, since you know there is a an audience for it. I think Kickstarter is good but it's not a panacea for any kind of niche title. Not everything gets funded.
For example:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2135255370/project-13-a-music-driven-animation-trilogy
and that's with big names like STUDIO 4°C behind it.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Yaaaaaaaay!!! The funding has been successful! Allelujah! I will definitely buy Unico when it comes out! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
So excited. Can't wait for my book. A Christmas present to me. <3
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm stoked about the first stretch. ATOMCAT should be a lot of fun to those that enjoy Astro Boy. With only another $4500 and 25 days to go, it's looking like we'll be seeing a few manga come from this project!
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
YUUUUUUUSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
I'm totally going to be buying this! Great news indeed!
Very Happy
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't originally be interested in this, but I've come around on it. I haven't read much Tezuka, but I haven't been let down yet. Besides, these guys got Moxy* and I can get behind that.

TitanXL wrote:

I think of it how 'there's no such thing as a free lunch' applies to crowd-funding. I suppose that in exchange for uplifting accomplishments like Unico being funded and then some (or this) society has to pay with things like a Brony documentary that got more than five times its goal in pledges.

*I mean the soda. I've been wanting to try it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
@Surrender: I would say a Brony Documentary is a decent project for a kickstarter as well, given not nearly as worthy as Unico, but hell aside from charities what could compare itself to Tezuka. (Given I have a double Bias there as both a Brony & A Tezuka Fanboy Laughing But yeah.)

Anywho back on topic. I never had any doubt this kick-starter would be successful, although I will admit I didn't quite expect it to reach its goal in just 5 days, hopefully this is a good sign a Kimba/Jungle Emerpor Leo manga kick-starter isn't to far off.

But yeah I myself donated $35 to the Unico kick-starter fund, so looking forward to getting my copy in the mail come December.

And I agree with others, would be nice to see some of the anime companies get in on projects like this. Personally I would kill to see Funimation do a kick-starter for Tatami Galaxy, I loved that series, but it seems to have gotten the shaft. Or A kick-starter for a complete Monster box set from VIZ would be nice. Given neither will ever happen most likely, but would be great if they did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3