• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tari Tari (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote

Tari Tari

Plot Summary: The story centers around five Japanese high school students who are too young to be called adults, but who no longer think of themselves as children. Wakana Sakai once took music lessons, but she withdrew from music after losing her mother. Konatsu Miyamoto is a positive-thinking girl who loves singing and spends time after school at the vocal music club. Sawa Okita is a spirited archery club member who dreams of becoming a horse rider. Taichi Tanaka is a chronically late badminton team member who lives with his college student sister. "Wiin" just transfered into Wakana's class after 12 years abroad in Austria. Music brings Wakana, Konatsu, Sawa and the others together into an ensemble during their last summer in high school.

13 Episodes
School, Coming Of Age, Music

Ep. 1

Well P.A. you've certainly not failed to make yet another visually nice series for us, although at this point they haven't reeled me in with the story, but that may take me another episode or two, usually does for SOL sorts of series.

Likeable characters though, although they do kinda bring a Hanasaku Iroha vibe to the show, actually this show really reminds me of Hanasaku alot, so anyone who enjoyed that will probably enjoy this too.

Last edited by Volibear on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, these trio of girls are carbon copies of each other with different wigs... Otherwise it was a nice first episode. Although theres a chance I might drop this as music anime is not my thing. I got bored with K-on like 4 episodes in.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Same. I might drop this as well but will see how it goes.

Also, spoiler[that OP song from True Tears...so nostalgic] during the choir. Well, hopefully this series will pull off something surprising out of the hat Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
I put it in my CR queue for now but with my attempt to cut down watching so much this summer it might not last. It shows some depth of character but still doesn't blow you away at all.

A cross between Hanasaku Iroha and Natsuiro Kiseki is the tone I was getting. Somewhere between the soap opera drama of the first and the singing girls fluff of the later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Not a bad first episode, some slice of life series have something that pulls me in a bit, and out of what I have seen so far this season, I feel slightly drawn to this one. Not that it is the story or exactly the character types, but watching this made me kind of happy, I will have to use a better player for episode 2 though, I used a poor quality one. I think it is something about the setting.

I was thinking that the school looked mighty nice, then I realized that it was done by P.A. Works, and I was reminded of what work they did on the school for Angel Beats. And I guess going back to look at the character designs, they kind of remind me of what they did with Another, perhaps that is something that is subconsciously grabbing my attention.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Something about this show grabbed me the first episode. I did like Hanasaku Iroha, but an unidentifiable essence about this show sets it apart from that. It's not characterization (spirited lead girl, check; moody companion, check; spiteful authority figure, check...), not plot ("Let's join together and make something happen!"), and definitely not art style.

So why in the world does this show feel like it has a unique hook? spoiler[Palm trees and horses? Character who stayed in Austria for 12 years?] I really hope I'm not that superficial. Confused
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else feel that spoiler[the pregnant teacher was the tsun-girl's unrequited love and that the teacher is trying in her own way to redirect the feelings towards someone who may be more open to them? Perhaps my yuri goggles are steamed up.]
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
I think this show just became my guilty pleasure for this season. Enjoyed the first episode, looking forward to more.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
So why in the world does this show feel like it has a unique hook? spoiler[Palm trees and horses? Character who stayed in Austria for 12 years?] I really hope I'm not that superficial. Confused

Maybe it's because Hanasaku Iroha was focused on Ohana's viewpoint at first, while this show switches its focus on a bunch of different characters? You get to see a bunch of (not yet related) conflicts the characters are facing? Maybe you are just interested in that Austrian guy... (It looks like he's a Sentai fan.)

I'm liking this show, even though their eyes still freak me out just a bit. (They're spread out just a little too far for my liking.) The singing was quite nice. Also, "KYAAAAAHH~" at the guy characters. They are such loveable losers!
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:
Brent Allison wrote:

Maybe it's because Hanasaku Iroha was focused on Ohana's viewpoint at first, while this show switches its focus on a bunch of different characters? You get to see a bunch of (not yet related) conflicts the characters are facing?

Considering that I did want to know more about Minko's side of things in Hanasaku Iroha, that's a very plausible explanation. Thank you for that.

Quote:
Maybe you are just interested in that Austrian guy... (It looks like he's a Sentai fan.)

I guess I am since I was overperforming those gestures when I was in Japan because I "read about it in a book (blog)"; the deep and repeated bowing, the overpolite language. He was relatable in that respect.

Quote:
I'm liking this show, even though their eyes still freak me out just a bit. (They're spread out just a little too far for my liking.) The singing was quite nice. Also, "KYAAAAAHH~" at the guy characters. They are such loveable losers!

My spouse was a trained cantor, so she was making remarks about the teacher like, "That's the way you speak to a chorus the week before recital." I'm sure she'll cue me into the quality of the signing since I have a tin ear.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I like cute, spunky girl characters. I'm in.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, the faces look too much alike!
I like the premise of a choir... so that will keep me watching for now. It doesn't really stand out that much yet.
Riddley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
I'm a weird one when it comes to judging anime because I look for subtle clues about the depth and breadth of a story as a way of measuring whether or not I think it's worth watching.

So what I mean by that is stuff like spoiler[when she asks the vice principal about singing again and the VP is basically having a go at her, her leg starts to tremble and she tries to steady it with her hand.] It's that kind of depth and attention to detail that draws me in. Or like in the first scene spoiler[... the interaction with the cat and her father. Or the girl riding the horse for sport/recreation...that's not something I've seen in anime before. ]

I think it has great potential. I was instantly smitten with Hanasaku Iroha for similar reasons spoiler[(i.e. minute emotional details and story telling points to flesh out characters)][/spoiler]
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I think the only other case I can recall an animated character commute to school via horse was Majikoi. That part did stand out to me a fair bit.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
The boys stood out to me the most. We basically got the Prince of Badminton (due to lack of competition Laughing) who seems to have exacting standards and will sing (nicely!) when pushed, and Mr. Awkward, because the poor kid has lived in Austria for a dozen years and can't remember basic vocabulary, let alone how to act casual with other kids his age in Japan. I wonder if we'll get to hear him sing in German down the line...

If they balance humor with the drama well, than I'm in. I hope the music gets better/more exciting though. I never saw K-On, but the music in Beck made the show, and there wasn't enough music in Kids on the Slope (although the music they did have was amazing). Basically, if I'm watching a drama about musicians, I wanna hear some tunes!

One last thing, I thought the scene in which spoiler[the older sister bursts in on her brother in the bath was inappropriate, until she blackmailed him. That got a laugh out of me.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9