• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shoko Conami Pens Zombie Romantic Comedy Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, this kinda reminds me of Sankarea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Hmm, this kinda reminds me of Sankarea.

Yeah, besides the part about wanting to refresh her cells, it does sound a lot like Sankarea.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
So excited! Conami is one of my favorite mangaka!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
Sankrea is probably one of the more well known ones, but I've seen at least 3 such manga within the last few years. Theres another one that comes to mind where I think the guy is a zombie going to high school and its also a romantic comedy, not to mention Zombie De Su. You think the author could at least attempt to make an iota of her were original.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Why would anyone want a zombie cherry? Laughing
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
....Okay, Japan really doesn't know what a zombie is. This girl sounds more like a Lich.
Doctorhauser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
....Okay, Japan really doesn't know what a zombie is. This girl sounds more like a Lich.

I dunno... You do know that until the 1960s' movie "Night of the living dead" by George A.Romero, zombies had never been flesh-eating or brain-eating rotting corpses, do you?
They were simply reanimated corpses used as slaves through voodoo, or just normal humans "zombified" as slaves through the aforementioned voodoo, with their souls supposedly stolen (apparently, the only certain thing is that certain drugs were used to stop their hearts and make them look like "dead").

So, I'd say that this rom-com version of a zombie isn't more valid that, say, the one from "The walking dead" (granted, it still sounds softer and probablye cleaner than the voodoo variant Razz ).
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I got the impression that the medicine stopped her heart (thus making her "dead") but kept her cells reanimating. So she's sort of immortal (non-rotting) dead?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
I know there's nothing new under the sun, but his is getting a bit ridiculous. It's like starting a whole genre of toaster-based fiction because of the Brave Little Toaster film. At least make it the Sentient Household Appliance genre or something. No need to get this specific with your borrowed premises.

I suppose I'd probably be less annoyed by it if I thought corpse/romance thing was a good match in the first place, though.

I saw the first 3-4 episodes of Sankarea, and it did seem to be handled much more gracefully than I'd expected (though it also seemed to start turning fairly sharply into more standard harem stuff), but I can't help thinking that it could have been a better series with no actual zombies, as just an oddball romance with the setup from the first couple of episodes. And normally I tend to think a supernatural twist improves anything.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
A rom-zom-com! like Shaun of the Dead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1