• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Samurai 7 Anime Debuts on Toonami on August 19

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Okay I approve. I haven't been able to watch Toonami because of timing - Saturday nights are usually spoken for - but I totally recommend Samurai 7 to anyone who can watch. I've seen both the dub and sub version, and the dub is quite excellent.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
So, no Panty & Stocking, or Tiger & Bunny, but we get an eight year old series people forgot about a long time ago. Okay.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if this is the best Toonami can get, its future isn't looking too bright.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
So, no Panty & Stocking, or Tiger & Bunny, but we get an eight year old series people forgot about a long time ago. Okay.
I'll agree to the last sentence. Panty & Stocky wouldnt fit most of the Toonami Audience (Tho Tiger & Bunny probably would) so I dont agree with that part. Samurai 7 is a pretty good show tho IMO, I'll watch it. I enjoyed it a lot more than Deadman Wonderland that's for sure...for one thing is actually has a proper ending......
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Samurai 7? Another real old show? Well it's probably dirt cheap to get the airing rights to right now, but will it even get the ratings now? Wasn't this show really popular at one time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping for Index to replace Deadman. Oh well, I actually haven't seen Samurai 7 so it'll give me something to watch.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
No need to be so pessimistic everyone. Its not anything new, but Samurai 7 was one of the first series I saw as an anime fan. It'll be nice to revisit it again.
Toonami is looking for action series' with broad appeal, in which Samurai 7 fits the bill.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
S7 is an interesting pickup, but honestly I'm not surprised they had to pick up another "older" show. We already know they're operating on a severely limited budget and it has only been 10 weeks...

I never saw S7 all the way through, so I'm actually looking forward to this.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
What an odd choice.
They need to get High School of the Dead or Angel Beats those two series would make the ratings jump through the roof!
Most people could care a less about this series everyone is itching to see something new and exciting baby steps I suppose.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested, but only because I haven't seen Samurai 7 before. But if I had, this would be a big pass. What I've heard of it makes me think of a large boring big budget production that only serves as a way to tell the audience "Watch the Kurosawa film, please." Maybe I'm wrong? I've never heard much in the way of true praise for this title, it never comes up in discussion.

Looking at my friends' ratings on MAL, my best bud dropped it at episode 4, and we usually have very similar and congruent tastes. Is it one of those titles you just slog through to say you've seen it, like Basilisk?

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Was hoping for Index to replace Deadman.

Eeeeeehhhhh... if we're talking about A Certain Magical Index, I'm not sure if I honestly could watch that all the way through even with a dub. There's just too much lengthy, expository, awkward dialogue and repetitive gags in that show for me. And every time I try to watch that show, I honestly have a harder time figuring out why those characters are interesting.

Though Samurai 7 I've honestly been meaning to watch but never got around to it so this would be a good opportunity for me.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
My money for ratings for every foreseeable Saturday is placed on either Bleach, as it's returning from those absolutely terrible fillers, or the pre-Toonami routine Family Guy rerun.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
... I'm happy we have Toonami and all, but I don't know if this really has much mainstream appeal like what Deadman Wonderland has. Maybe I should attempt to watch this.

If I still can't stand this, at least Casshern will be gone in another season.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Samurai 7, so I don't know how good it is. So I will give it a chance.

At least they are making the effort to put new shows on. Which was the wasteland that Adult Swim, with all their reruns, sank in.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Not that big a fan of the show, but a pretty good pick for Toonami, given its high ratings, anachronisms, and unique action scenes. However, with this being yet another FUNimation show being aired, I hope that we will see some more anime from other providers in the future. Although, with Viz going with Neon Alley, Bandai Ent. being a question mark, Sentai having a nonexistent relationship with Toonami/AS…

On a (somewhat) separate note, I don't know if they still have the rights to it (or even broadcasting rights), but I would imagine that Black Lagoon would make a slaying in the ratings if they ever get it there. I wonder how well Ergo Proxy would do, as well, since the similarly-mooded Casshern Sins has been doing well…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10