• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Remnants of the Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sokpupet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
Wait, that's a guy? Are you ████ing kidding me?! Uggghh! Androgyny is one thing but that's just flagrant false ████ing advertising!

Can't wait to pick it up!
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
I agree. There is no man there. That is girlier than Jokutsu...Haku...Snow White.

I'm looking forward to The Last Story. However, I like my villains to be gripping and complicated - or at least very successful. Moustache twirling is usually not ver compelling for me, unless it is ludicrously successful.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(with the cruel promise that Final Fantasy V was “coming here as Final Fantasy III late in '94”).

We were also supposed to get Seiken Densetsu 3 and an animated series adaptation of SD3. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Wonder Project J

I really wanted to play that one, too. Crying or Very sad But we only got shit titles from Enix of America after Illusion of Gaia.
N.R.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
I think Mistwalker would be wise to release this game on the PS3 and 360 some time soon. They will probably never profit from a JRPG on the Wii at this point of the system's life span. Also, this game kind of didn't do that great in Japan either so I wonder if it can fare well in the U.S.
rojse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:
Wait, that's a guy? Are you ████ing kidding me?! Uggghh! Androgyny is one thing but that's just flagrant false ████ing advertising!

Maybe he has gender identification issues.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
However, I like my villains to be gripping and complicated - or at least very successful. Moustache twirling is usually not ver compelling for me, unless it is ludicrously successful.

Well, whoever wrote this weeks X-button has not played very far. I won't say it takes you by the surprise, but not everything is as obvious as it seems. There are a few different kinds of conflicts in the story. The struggle of gaining better social standing and overcoming class differences, the war between races and then some mumbo-jumbo RPG scifi/magic nonsense. There are at least three different villains in the story.

Too bad the game wasn't particularly fun to actually play. The combat system might have a novel idea behind it, but when it came to actually trying to make use of it, the attempt often resulted in failures. Not that it matters. Most everything will fall without even understanding what is going on and hacking away mindlessly. The first time I even used any of the super moves was at the final boss. Also, it feels like you're interrupted by story scenes a tad too often. Even in dungeons. I swear I once gained control and took five steps and another cutscene happens.
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
I think Mistwalker would be wise to release this game on the PS3 and 360 some time soon. They will probably never profit from a JRPG on the Wii at this point of the system's life span. Also, this game kind of didn't do that great in Japan either so I wonder if it can fare well in the U.S.

The thing is, Mistwalker did an Exclusivity Agreement with Nintendo, so they can't release games on PS3 or 360. Plus, I believe that TLS is a semi-first party tile, anyways. Anyways, I've Preordered TLS, that and Xenoblade (which I'm about 3/4 through on my first playthrough) will be the only things keeping my Wii alive for most likely the rest of its lifespan. Oh, and since it's the family room console, we use Netflix on it. A lot.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's just that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was never as popular a fighter as a certain CAPCOM title called Darkstalkers, and there's still no Darkstalkers HD.

Aside from the upcoming JoJo PS3 game, there's also a JoJo TV anime coming out this fall.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Chrono Phantasma: you can already tell Bullet is gonna be popular because there was fanart of her within HOURS of CP's debut (she also has a super that requires SEVEN full rotations of the joystick to use). The revamp of the mechanics sounds intriguing and I do wonder how the newbies will tie into the narrative.

Jojo: Darkstalkers, unfortunately, doesn't have its 25th anniversary going on right now along with a hotly anticipated anime adaptation.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In 60 to 80 hours, players can reach the max level and start doing all the max level player-versus-player, dungeons, guild activities, etc. So they don't need to spend months of their life grinding away killing the same thing over and over to get to the fun stuff; it's much more accessible.

So instead it only takes 60-80 hours to get to the point where you spend months of your life grinding away doing the same dungeons/arenas over and over for the small chance that you will get the reward you are looking for, and by the time you get it the next dungeon is conveniently out!

Seriously, this is why I don't like MMO's. The stuff that the developers and most of the player base consider to be the "fun stuff", I can't stand. What I actually like doing is exploring and discovering interesting new areas and creatures. I LOVED WoW for the first few months, until I had seen all the zones and their inhabitants. My motivation for advancing was to get high enough level to finally cross over into the next zone cause damn did it sound interesting (despite the fact that a lot of artwork was reused constantly and that it seemed like every cave in the game had one of 2 possible layouts, among other things). Then I hit max level, where the "fun stuff" starts, and got bored out of my mind.

I don't mind constantly killing things and looting them, as long as they change things up a bit. I just wish someone was willing to go the extra mile and not just reuse the same art throughout the whole game. I mean, it does get old running into the same model over and over:

1st time - "Wow, that monster looks awesome!"
2nd time - "Huh, same thing I fought earlier but a different color."
3rd time - "Alright, now it's bigger AND a different color...."
4th time - "WOW, this one is bigger, a different color, AND has a horn! We really breaking the bank on the art budget here!"
5th time - "LOL! This one is so huge I can see the pixelation of the texture and the blockiness of the model!"
10th time - "Alright this is getting old, I'm just seeing rehashes of the same thing..."

Same goes for environments. I recognize textures I've seen before, you can't hide that crap from me. I'm one of those annoying players that has to inspect every nook and cranny of every place in the game looking for possible secrets (and knowing that in the case of MMO's there are none, how sad is it that I do it anyway...). In doing so I get a good look at the textures... the same ones.... A LOT.

Hell, the above is the reason I love Toriko so much. I can't wait to see what sort of over the top creatures and locations they are gonna throw at me next...

Oh well, I guess I'm done. I know full well that there will never be a game made for the few people out there like me: It would be WAY too expensive to make and would probably not make back even 10% of that. But I can dream can't I?
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
Words cannot express my sadness at The Last Story being a Wii-only game. I have a steadfast rule that there must be either a minimum of 5 games - or a Final Fantasy main title game - that I want before I put out the money for a new console. Wii never even came close, and I was content in that...and now it's last hurrah is The Last Story? And it's console-exclusive? So much sadness here...all of the sadness... ::tear::
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:

I'm also looking forward to Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma.

So for the new characters we get a muscular dude (Azrael), another lovely vixen (Bullet) and a trap (Amane Nishiki). Lovely!
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I remember Nintendo Power reporting remakes of Final Fantasies 7, 8 and 9 around the time 10 came out. That didn't quite happen either.

I have a decade's worth of Nintendo Powers dating back to, I believe, '91...wonder if they're worth anything.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:
N.R. wrote:

The thing is, Mistwalker did an Exclusivity Agreement with Nintendo, so they can't release games on PS3 or 360. Plus, I believe that TLS is a semi-first party tile, anyways. Anyways, I've Preordered TLS, that and Xenoblade (which I'm about 3/4 through on my first playthrough) will be the only things keeping my Wii alive for most likely the rest of its lifespan. Oh, and since it's the family room console, we use Netflix on it. A lot.

Nintendo would be fairly stupid to make an exclusivity agreement with a failure of a company like Mistwalker. Not only that, why in the world would they make an exclusivity agreement with a studio that actually doesn't make games (The Last Story was actually developed by Marvelous AQL) and just released an iPhone game? The only reason Mistwalker hasn't made a game on PS3 is because they can't afford to, and Sakaguchi burned his bridge with Sony so there's not going to be any sympathy from them.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:

I don't think the Last Story can afford to be on the PS3 (and putting it on the X-Box would be a waste of time, and money). Keep in mind that HD is a huge cost that a lot of developers cant really afford.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2