• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Supernerds Assemble

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
The sheer length of this ANNcast is rather impressive.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac the units were not abadoned but the people who owned it could no longer pay the rent. In other words those units are probably owned by people who lost their jobs. When you think about that it's just depressing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Zac the units were not abadoned but the people who owned it could no longer pay the rent. In other words those units are probably owned by people who lost their jobs. When you think about that it's just depressing.

I always assumed it's mostly the belongings of dead people with no next of kin to handle their affairs. STORAGE WARS
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Man, I like Space Brothers a lot for its positive tone and great cast of characters, aside from monkeyboy, but I cannot wait to get out of the isolation chambers. Maybe it's to reinforce the idea of being stuck in a place for so long to the audience, maybe the story requires every little detail of their time spent be shown, but there's so much more they could be showing us now. It's probably best to not marathon this show, at least for this arc. One episode a week is about all I can chew while the pace is this sluggish.

I was positive for Rendezvous as well, until I got to know the two male leads more which lead me to dislike both. I'd rather see Rokka as a spinster than get together with the kid or the ghost. For the other shows this season, either the second seasons of Horizon and Lagrange, or the continuing of Hyouka are the best things I'm watching. Hyouka's become significantly more interesting as of late. The characters are warming up even if the mysteries remain kind of cool, which was my big beef early on. Seeing Oreki not be aloof and indifferent changes the entire show around.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Lupin III: A Woman Named Fujiko Mine was quite good, probably the best Lupin material in the past decade (that's not saying a lot, though). The design, the tone, the risks it takes, elements of the plot, the theme(s), are all superb. There were a few foul-ups, both with the main plot, particular stand-alone episodes, and characterization of some characters, and the ending is controversial because the show made you think one thing and then pulled the rug out from under the viewer. However, I liked the Court of Owls... er, sorry, Batman comics on the brain... I liked the owl folk thing, even the reveal. I love how tied together things became. It doesn't feel like a betrayal to me, but I can see why others might feel that way. But yeah, while some things about it work better than others, it's both daring and entertaining.

Fujiko's Unlucky Days was horrific. Physically painful to watch.

One of the best things is how the end of the show actually sets up the original series. Lupin's still sporting the green jacket and is now partners with Jigen, but the both of them know Fujiko. Nobody but Fujiko has met Goemon (Jigen didn't know who he was when he fought him). With the owl thing resolved, Zenigata is free to pursue Lupin openly.

I loved Daryl's Lupin III panel, by the way. I actually found and bought a Fujiko Mine figure while at Otakon. It's awesome. I knew a lot of the stuff Daryl mentioned, but it was still fun to experience it with other Lupin fans. I didn't know CoC was made in four months! It still looks gorgeous!

The ANN panel was pretty good, too. I got up bright and early to go to that one. Good to Justin, Brian, Erin, and Chris.

I don't know if I'll be back next year, because I experienced a lot of shit thanks to the combination of incompetent staff and my usual bad luck. I'd especially like to go back if Zac is there.

You didn't notice people chanting things? They were doing that "YES! YES! YES! YES!" thing constantly and singing "Make A Man Out Of You" several times (I joined in once). But I guess it wasn't as rowdy as it was when I went previously, even though it was way more crowded the last time (back in 2006).

Loved the Aya Hirano concert and that band was very impressive. They really knew their stuff. Loved when Aya and them came out for a two song encore. Unfortunately the idiot staff robbed me of an autograph. And she was the main event for me at the con. Not only did I not get her autograph, but I failed to get anybody's because of stupid staff shit and Bandai being dickish (100 autograph limit my ass).

Too bad there really weren't a lot of great guests other than Hirano. I mean, Peter S. Beagle? He's only tangently anime related. GASHICON? A fashion designer is not an anime guest. Vixx? A Korean boy band? Who's booking this crap? What, you couldn't get the brother of the janitor at Sentai Filmworks? The guy who restocks the vending machines at Funimation HQ? The cousin of the orthodontist who once backed over Vic Mignogna's dog? Soon they'll just be grabbing random people off of the Baltimore streets and propping them up as guests. Maybe the $1 water guys.

I was disappointed nobody licensed Mawaru Penguindrum yet.

I love Storage Wars. Barry is my favorite. Too bad he sucks at it.

I am so not interested in a digital distribution of LoGH. I want to own it. In good quality. On DVD. They should release them in four season boxsets with an English dub. Maybe the Blu-Ray versions of it. Put a FPA or Empire iron-on patch in the sets. Hopefully for a decent price. But I'm not holding my breath. By the way, the main OVA is 110 episodes.

I actually saw a Yang Wenli cosplayer at Otakon and it made me cry tears of joy. My faith in anime fandom in the US was restored. Well, for a few hours.

I want to see Penguin Memories.

Daryl, they aren't dubbing Detroit Metal City, anyway.

The next season looks like garbage, because it's all high school shows. I don't mind shows about high school students, but not when the show revolves around being at school. It feels like every new show next season is school-related. I'm tired of those kinds of shows. I guess Jojo's Bizarre Adventures and Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 is the only thing I have to look foward to. I can't believe there was a demand for more Initial D. That's just sad.

I love Alcatraz Connection. I'd love to see that one over here. Wouldn't mind seeing Return the Treasure and/or Stolen Lupin, too. But I also want to see the classic Hemingway Papers.

The Return of the Magician is horrible. Especially the CGI in it.

I dislike the casting of the Funimation Lupin dubs. Sonny Strait;s Lupin sounds like a nerd. I was always more of a Tony Oliver or Bob Bergen for Lupin guy and Michelle Ruff for Fujiko.

Gen Urobuchi had a pretty healthy autograph line. I have no interest in his works (need to get to Madoka sometime), but it made me glad that an anime writer was getting attention.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

I always assumed it's mostly the belongings of dead people with no next of kin to handle their affairs. STORAGE WARS

Some of the units included stuff like an office store's storage, and some guys recently purchased quads.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2012/05/storage_wars_dan_laura_dotson.php They kind of talk about it in the second half here.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I love super long ANNCasts. Probably not so fun to edit though, so thanks, Zac!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I am so not interested in a digital distribution of LoGH. I want to own it. In good quality. On DVD. They should release them in four season boxsets with an English dub. Maybe the Blu-Ray versions of it. Put a FPA or Empire iron-on patch in the sets. Hopefully for a decent price. But I'm not holding my breath. By the way, the main OVA is 110 episodes.

Even that BD isn't enough, I'd take the old unfixed versions assuming they do a full telecine of them so we can have proper 1080p. I watched the LDrips to begin with, so I'm fine with all of the "problems". But yeah, it's never getting licensed. What's different compared to that "$2000 needed for preorder" situation of the past is that digital fansub distribution and word have mouth have made the show reach far more eyes and ears than ever before, a wholly different trend for old anime that tend to lose fans over decades.

As for what Tanaka writes always being good, look at Tytania. It had promise but he wrote himself into a corner and abandoned it a long time ago for a reason. There's much more deserving stories of his that should have be fully adapted.

Switching gears, I don't watch Storage Wars, but the related show of American Pickers is what I dig. It's great seeing those two sift through old barns and meet the dead ends of America. It's amazing what they can find, and that people who have literal mountains of crap are still unwilling to part to with rusted out old signage. They're building America's mancaves one trip at a time. The Onion already has the Lake Dredge show, which is one of these garbage reality programs mixed with Antique's Road Show; they're way ahead.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As for what Tanaka writes always being good, look at Tytania. It had promise but he wrote himself into a corner and abandoned it a long time ago for a reason. There's much more deserving stories of his that should have be fully adapted.

Ugh. Tytania was a huge disappointment. And that actually got a release here.

I'd rather see Ryoko's Case Files (another Tanaka work) over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey, music stuff that I know!

I got a kick out of Mike's statement that Italo Disco is the music of the future from the past. So, true.

Definitely agree about the crazy hair of Information Soceity's lead singer (they wrote some really catchy synthpop). They also had a awesomely crazy Mad Max inspired car
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Zac that Violinist of Hameln would be a cool show to see on Sam's site; I haven't seen it myself, but it has had my interest mainly in that it turns a comical/gag adventure manga into a deadly serious fantasy show.

And to continue off of Daryl's love of Yasuhiro Imagawa, I would love to see the Hareluya II BØY anime get on Sam's site. Like Hameln, the Hareluya anime was composed by Imagawa, and the man wrote about half of the episodes. Unfortunately, the show is extremely hard to find, since it never received a DVD release & the only raws out there are from a Chinese TV airing, so every episode features hard-encoded Chinese subs (even the three episodes that have been fansubbed use these kind of raws), below-VHS-quality video, multiple episodes have audio syncing issues, and two episodes actually are only available with Chinese audio. I've been able to get some LDs of the show for fairly cheap via the Rakuten Global Market, but I'd love to see the entire series with good video, not to mention English subs, mainly because I've really liked what I've seen.

Luckily, Sam mentioned that he would love to have Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko TV on the site and that he would look into getting that. I bring this up because Yamomoto Yohko TV is a Starchild Records show, and Hareluya is also a Starchild Records show, so if Yohko might be doable, then Hareluya has a chance.

Finally, I love that "Discotek Anime Club" idea! That sounds awesome, & I would also sign up for that. And it can work with a company like Discotek, since the company only does roughly 10-15 releases per year, whereas the likes of FUNimation & Sentai get that same number out in just 2 months.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Would Wicked City even need a Kickstarter? It's got a remastered release in Japan, so it's not like that work has to necessarily be done, same goes for the dub and subtitles. On top of that, it's goddamn Kawajiri, old fans know who he is and what he's done. For Venus Wars, same deal. Unless Justin can tear the Japanese BD to shreds with things I'm unable to see, it looked solid. Grainy as hell, as to be expected, but solid. Do these things need to be re-transferred over here or do they just use the new Japanese masters?

I've said this in other threads, but I get compilation films for mecha/sci-fi anime back in the day. No syndication, no VHS tapes for home use, so you cobble together a film version and now your show reaches a wider audience. Helped Yamato out a ton, beating out Star Wars, and it turned Gundam into a success. And I get why Sunrise still do it to this day, but it's really grating and annoying when things like AnoHana or Madoka do it, if I wanted to watch those shows, I could just watch those shows, they only take 4 hours. Bringing up the new Macross Frontier films or DYRL don't count when they're completely new animation. What we're talking about here are just straight edits of existing animation; maybe they're nice to see in a theater, but I wouldn't want to revisit them again.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
speaking of amv's I would have to through in my hat for amv hell 1-3 and amv hell zero as the greatest ones of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I agree with Zac that Violinist of Hameln would be a cool show to see on Sam's site; I haven't seen it myself, but it has had my interest mainly in that it turns a comical/gag adventure manga into a deadly serious fantasy show.

I read a few chapters of it, mainly when a major character becomes good, and the ending, and its a really entertaining shonen manga.

Its not groundbreaking but if someone actually remade it as an accurate anime I would watch it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

I read a few chapters of it, mainly when a major character becomes good, and the ending, and its a really entertaining shonen manga.

Its not groundbreaking but if someone actually remade it as an accurate anime I would watch it.

Well, there is a short anime movie that was made before the TV series, & that was apparently accurate to the manga's comical style. The TV series being deadly serious was obviously all Imgawa's idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9