• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lodoss War's 1st Novel Being Rewritten for New Edition

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow...I can't believe it's been 25 years for Lodoss War. Pretty cool - maybe someone can pick this up to translate into English.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Well if its going to be re-written maybe they can remake the anime
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I've been hoping for a translation of the novels (and/or the original RPG retellings) for the longest time. Hopefully one day... :{
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the second poster; the Chronicles tv show was awful; spark is awful character and that was just one big mess; they need a remake of the ova that continues on to a sequel with the main cast of parn and deedlit
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Remember, Deedlit shot first!
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Considering how awful the first one was written, I'd say it's for the better.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to read this series for a while... maybe now is the time.

Btw, on a similar note, Fuyumi Ono's The 12 Kingdoms is also currently getting a new "complete" edition and is being partly rewritten for this occasion.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I agree with the second poster; the Chronicles tv show was awful; spark is awful character and that was just one big mess; they need a remake of the ova that continues on to a sequel with the main cast of parn and deedlit

I agree... It would be nice to see a remake of the OVA/novel series with a decent budget this time!

I love the original show in spite of the awkward (is it even there???) animation because of the character relationships and great symphonic music. Hopefully, that won't get lost IF a remake ever happens.

Totally agree about the TV show!
After Parn and Deedlit left, so did my interest.
The best thing about that series really was the opening theme song and opening animation.
The rest was fairly forgettable.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
The OAV was more or less a "the very best of Lodoss". They left many things out because they didn't think it could fit a TV series. And while they did a super-job in animation, character design and music, it meant very little to viewers who didn't read the novels.

As for the novels... the first one and it was below average in comparision to any other Fantasy-Heroic novel I had read. I know it was a RPG campaign put into paper, but still, the writer could have done better.
OrsonHyuri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
A remake would be awesome. I second this idea! If nothing else maybe this will renew interest to bring the OAV to blu-ray after it was abandoned recently. I was beginning to give up hope on any interest remaining in Lodoss.

I can still remember as a preteen waking up early on Saturday before sunrise west coast time to record the OAV on Sci Fi channel's anime Saturdays on VHS. I'm now in my 30s so that was a long time ago. Lodoss was one of my first introductions to anime that left me a life long fan of the art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1