Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece Season 4 Part I DVD


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tanteikingdomkey
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 2019
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
I loved this set and thought that this set was actually a good reintroduction to the series for those who wait for the dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 710
Location: TN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
I have bought and watched the first 5 collection sets, thinking it was good, but it's not. People keep saying, "keep watching, it gets better." That's a bunch of BS. When does the series get better? I was in 150+ episodes, it shouldn't take that long to get better. They take so long to tell a story and they always go to the background characters that don't mean a thing to the story.

I bought them thinking it would be like the 4Kids dub, but nope, not at all. I don't remember that dub dragging on so damn much. In fact, I liked 4kids dub so much more then Funimation's. Simple fact, I know for a fact that they took out filler episodes that didn't have to do with the story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anton Chigurh



Joined: 03 Dec 2007
Posts: 255
Location: Guam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Ah, the Davy Back Fight... isn't it awesome when the manga's author introduces filler into the main work?

No, no it's not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8038
Location: IL
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
When it is used as a transition from Skypeia to Water 7? Absolutely.

@Vata: Hahah, liking the 4Kids dub over Funimation's effort. That is just rich.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barbobot



Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 456
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I have bought and watched the first 5 collection sets, thinking it was good, but it's not. People keep saying, "keep watching, it gets better." That's a bunch of BS. When does the series get better? I was in 150+ episodes, it shouldn't take that long to get better. They take so long to tell a story and they always go to the background characters that don't mean a thing to the story.


If you got 150+ episodes in and are still not a fan then you probably never will be. The show got me hook, line, and sinker during the Arlong Park arc and that was something like 30-45 episodes into the series, which is what I always took as the "keep watching, it gets better" moment.

I had always assumed that the Foxy Pirates were complete anime filler. Had no clue they were actually part of the manga. Just give us Water 7/Ennies Lobby already.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 710
Location: TN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
If you got 150+ episodes in and are still not a fan then you probably never will be. The show got me hook, line, and sinker during the Arlong Park arc and that was something like 30-45 episodes into the series, which is what I always took as the "keep watching, it gets better" moment.

The fillers kill it for me...they drags on for no reason. But I watch the hell out of Fairy Tail, love that series so much more. They finish a season in 48 episodes, no fillers...that's a much better deal.

Megiddo wrote:
Hahah, liking the 4Kids dub over Funimation's effort. That is just rich.

So? I grew up on the dub when it was on TV, I'd never watch it in the original, could care less if it was edited. It was a cartoon that played on Saturday morning. They cut out the fillers, I don't remember ever watching them when they were on TV. And they did Chopper's voice better. Why would Funimation give Chopper a high pitched voice when he grows into his larger form? And as with 4kids dub, they gave him a deep voice to fit the body.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PBsallad



Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 338
Location: Phoenix
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
One of the interesting things I heard in the cometary was that Tony Oliver was invited on because he happened to be in town.

I always like learning when actors from other areas join in on dubs. From LA or NY to Texas and vice versa.


When I read the manga I thought the Davy Back Fight arc was lackluster, but it's pretty fun watching it animated. But the filler bits (there's some stuff going on I don't recall from the comic) are just a drag. =/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
CrownKlown



Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 1674
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Look I know to different people did the reviews but 13 random middle of the road episode of One Piece getting the same overall grade as Ergo Proxy? I honestly think they should do something similar like Season previews where at least two people review something to get an aggregate rating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thatguy3331



Joined: 18 Feb 2012
Posts: 1599
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
I've heard ALOT about this arc, alot of BASHING things about this arc, so I pretty much knew what I was going to get when I bought this (though I didn't really care, I just didn't want to get behind releases on One Piece as the many DVD volumes were what was keeping me from buying it beforehand)

As a first time viewer of the arc I can definetly see why people bash it so much since our anime community comprise of people who see dark as good and whose sense of humor or appreciation for such varies on personal tatses, but this was fairly entertaining, IMO. I didn't quite care much for the boat race but it still had some momments and my favorites were definetly the Zoro Vs Sanji fight and the Roller skates competition spoiler[(alright seriously, who didn't enjoy the fact that Luffy couldn't skate?)] I think out of em all however the dodgeball wins the most goofy-est game of em all and I enjoyed it quite so.I can agree on Luffy's voice, I've definitely grown to like it but thats one of the things I can see being the weaker voice spoiler[Though I did like the entrance of afro Luffy in english, even though that was sonny carrying the scene, Colleens Luffy went along great with it, I also laughed at what Sanji's VA did for that reaction scene]

I think the commentaries were also amusing too in regards that they seemed to have a blast recording this whereas the fanbase loves the stuff that tears up their vocal chords, especially the Iorny of one person, I forgot who, saying how they thought it'd be funny if Luffy, Bon Clay and Foxy were stuck on a island for 100 episodes. It was clearly a joke and I had my chuckle at it, but I really laughed at the idea of how many buildings would be torn down by the fan base if that happened.

Vata Raven wrote:
Barbobot wrote:
If you got 150+ episodes in and are still not a fan then you probably never will be. The show got me hook, line, and sinker during the Arlong Park arc and that was something like 30-45 episodes into the series, which is what I always took as the "keep watching, it gets better" moment.

The fillers kill it for me...they drags on for no reason. But I watch the hell out of Fairy Tail, love that series so much more. They finish a season in 48 episodes, no fillers...that's a much better deal.

Megiddo wrote:
Hahah, liking the 4Kids dub over Funimation's effort. That is just rich.

So? I grew up on the dub when it was on TV, I'd never watch it in the original, could care less if it was edited. It was a cartoon that played on Saturday morning. They cut out the fillers, I don't remember ever watching them when they were on TV. And they did Chopper's voice better. Why would Funimation give Chopper a high pitched voice when he grows into his larger form? And as with 4kids dub, they gave him a deep voice to fit the body.


One piece's may be draggy and have the more a few fillers here and there, but I really dislike fairy tail. If it were just humor I may have liked it more but it never really stuck with me, especially their cheesy way of doing friendship, yes OP has Nakama stuff but I really think its done better here. Besides its not like Fairy tail goes on filler free forever.

Also just because you exclude fillers dosn't automaticly make it better, I respect that you grew up on the 4Kids dub but their 'cutting out fillers' didn't help the story at all, it just made it more and more of a train wreck. Plus the ridiculously stupid edits are teeth grating for most people.

I won't sit here and say "stop bashing on the series and drop already" because I've been in a similar boat two times, being the cynical fourm poster for fairy tail and hating the tar out of the beelzebub anime for ruining my favorite manga yet still watching just to get the satsfaction that if anyone tries to tell me shit about why I should like it or that I missed 'this or that' I can easily tell them otherwise. However I can say that if you've been watching this long and still have such major complaints, you should really start considering somethings, thats what I did with fairy tail after barely sticking with it for 200 chapters.


Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1857
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

As a first time viewer of the arc I can definetly see why people bash it so much since our anime community comprise of people who see dark as good and whose sense of humor or appreciation for such varies on personal tatses, but this was fairly entertaining, IMO.


To be honest, when I got this set to review, my reactions went something like this:

"Yes!!! One Piece!!"
"Dammit!! Davy Back Fight!!"
"Oh, hey, this is actually a lot more fun than I remember it being in the manga. Yay!"

I've never really subscribed to the whole "dark is deep" theory, but in the manga, I found this arc, simply put, a little dumb. I really think it was the voices that made it so much more enjoyable as an anime. Like Barbobot, I was fully hooked by the anime at Arlong Park (although Usopp's entrance won me over before that), and my biggest issue with the Davy Back Fight section was simply that it didn't seem to be moving the story forward. (Thinking back, that's not true of the end, when spoiler[Aokiji is introduced.])

All of that aside, as you could doubtless tell from the review, I enjoyed these episodes, much to my own surprise. It's no Water 7, but it was an awfully good way to relax.

Incidentally (as I pretend people care), I've always wished the English version used the same word as the French for the snail phones - somehow "escargophone" has a better ring to it than "transponder snail" in my mind. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tuor_of_Gondolin



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 3341
Location: Bellevue, WA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Well, some people may complain about it, but I enjoyed pretty much every episode to various degrees. But watching Usopp act like Don King was just awesome.

Yes, this is a very silly arc, but it's a lot of fun, too. I'm sure we'll get back to a Alabaster-level of seriousness before long, but it is good to have times like these when everyone just acts completely silly for a while.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
vashthekaizoku



Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 261
Location: The House of Rat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I watch the hell out of Fairy Tail, love that series so much more. They finish a season in 48 episodes, no fillers...that's a much better deal.


Umm, if you follow the current episodes of Fairy Tail on Crunchyroll, they've been in filler for 2-3 months. And it's baaaad filler, the kind that makes Davy Back look good. The thing with Davy Back is that, spoiler[in the manga, they fight three games and it's done. In the anime, they decide to have a rematch. ]

I've been a One Piece fan for a long time. And yes, Davy Back is not one of the better arcs. If you're not an absolute completist, you could probably skip this set without missing anything. However, the next set is an ABSOLUTE must buy for those "waiting for the story to get good." If you've been watching from the beginning, Water 7/Enies Lobby is the most intense section yet. Plus it introduces Franky, who I've been waiting years to see dubbed. ^__^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1857
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:

If you're not an absolute completist, you could probably skip this set without missing anything.


I almost agree, but isn't this the first time we've seen spoiler[Doflamingo]? I guess I'd append it to "watch the first episode and whatever's on the next set," just because of two characters.

Quote:
However, the next set is an ABSOLUTE must buy for those "waiting for the story to get good." If you've been watching from the beginning, Water 7/Enies Lobby is the most intense section yet. Plus it introduces Franky, who I've been waiting years to see dubbed. ^__^


Agreed. I'm really looking forward to Water 7, which is up there with Arlong Park and parts of Alabasta for my favorites. And I cannot wait to hear Franky!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 710
Location: TN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
Umm, if you follow the current episodes of Fairy Tail on Crunchyroll, they've been in filler for 2-3 months. And it's baaaad filler, the kind that makes Davy Back look good. The thing with Davy Back is that.

That doesn't mean anything to me. I don't stream my anime, first time I watch something is when I buy it. And so what, it's a few fillers, I KNOW the anime follows the manga so much better then other stuff. People have watched it and read it and have said there are few to no fillers. Every the episodes that seem like fillers, they're in the manga. And an arc doesn't take forever to end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8038
Location: IL
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if next set will be the start of Water7. Pretty sure there is that Rainbow Mist stuff next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group