• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blue Exorcist Sub.DVD 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I actually like Yukio the best out of all the main cast besides Rin. As a twin myself, I can really empathize with him. I also like how the anime original ending focused on family and the complicated relationship between Yukio and Rin and their father(s). My personal favorite anime portrayal of twins I've seen (and one of my favorite anime of 2011 in general). So glad it's getting dubbed not that that's stopped me from buying these sub-only dvds.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
How do you give this a B, it completely diverged from the manga, and not in a solid FMA way but by introducing non existent character like the grandfather, and putting in a premise that all but kills any chance of a continuation based on the manga. I dont mind Satan being misunderstood if that had been done by the author, but that was a plot device created for the anime. And the final battle wasnt anything great, last battle worth anything was against Amanion.
Loren Leah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Kind of surprised by the Yukio hate here -- he's one of my favorites, and narratively it wouldn't have been very satisfying for the series to end without any kind of closure for the tension between the twins that's always been at the heart of this story.

That said, I was pretty unimpressed by the second half of the series in general, and the plot leading up to the finale in particular. It's just one contrived plot point after another and the attempts to make Satan into a sympathetic character had me cracking up in places where I definitely wasn't supposed to be laughing. I realize making up decent anime-only plot can be tough, but I think almost anything would have been better than what they went with...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
How do you give this a B, it completely diverged from the manga, and not in a solid FMA way but by introducing non existent character like the grandfather, and putting in a premise that all but kills any chance of a continuation based on the manga. I don't mind Satan being misunderstood if that had been done by the author, but that was a plot device created for the anime. And the final battle wasnt anything great, last battle worth anything was against Amanion.

So whether the mangaka writes it can become a turning point in making a plotline good or bad?

I watched the anime first, then caught up with the manga, and though the spoiler[evil overlord] grandfather was a total cliché -and a pretty shitty one-, the way it brought a crack and big climax to the dynamics between Yukio and Rin was beautiful in the end, with Satan's backstory and everything included.

The climatic point in the battle spoiler[with Yukio posessed by Satan and Rin wailing about brotherhood] made me tear up a little. I thought, as a finale, it was really greatly executed, and even though the Kyoto arc in the manga was amazing, the current one spoiler[with the Kraken and the Whale God] seems to to me pretty lackluster in comparison to what the anime did.

I'm not one to defend anime when it comes to anime vs manga quarrels, but I think AoEx did a good job considering the material they had, and brought an epic and emotional conclusion to the story. And it doesn't entirely rule out a second series that follows closer to the manga, Brotherhood-esque, once there is more of it to work with
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
How do you give this a B, it completely diverged from the manga

Stop it. Stopitstopitstopitstopitstopit. An anime should be chiefly judged on the merits of what's actually shown on the screen, and what's working or isn't working in animated and voiced form. And being produced while the manga series is still an ongoing series, it should be plenty understandable when an anime is kind of forced to veer off the established manga canon sometime in its nonstop 24-26 episode run.

Not to say that I didn't find the ending of Blue Exorcist a bit of a messy wash myself-- which I can understand without having read any of the manga, thank you very much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
I ended up pausing watching this series around episode 18 and then everyone I knew told me to avoid the ending like the plaque and read the manga from that point on, is that true actually or not. I just heard everyone say they wish they never saw the ending of the anime.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
One thing that struck me as very strange going into the finale was that the supporting cast becomes uncomfortable with the evil granddad's initiative to kill a bunch of monsters. Isn't that what they've been training for in the first place? This series isn't doing a "keep the balance between the human and the supernatural" thing it's doing a "fight the monsters" thing. What's their problem with blowing up giant snakes with rockets?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
I always have liked Yukio because he has so much potential as a character.

Up until Rin gets his demon sword, Yukio has always been the shining star of the pair. He's an exorcist, does incredibly well in a private school while his brother, Rin, is a lackluster public school student who gets into a lot of fights with others. So when Rin does obtain the sword and his new demon powers and gets to attend the same school that Yukio now teaches at, Yukio's position and his opinion of his self worth starts to change. Rin has a sword. Rin saves the day. Rin gets (Yukio's) girl. And despite the trouble that Rin, his demonic nature and his mouth get into, everyone loves Rin and not Yukio.

I think it's easy to say, regardless of whether you read the manga and/or watch the anime, that there's some deep rooted hatred in Yukio's heart. Yukio originally chose the path he did to protect his brother, but now that Rin is more than capable of taking care of himself and, at least in Yukio's mind, having everything that Yukio holds dear, Yukio feels defeated. He's no longer the shining star that he once was, and although he fights for the good side, you have to wonder if Yukio will switch sides and what will it take to push him over that edge.

spoiler[This is why I loved the introduction of their grandfather. He becomes that catalyst. In the name of 'saving Rin', Yukio can take away everything that Rin received from the sword and have that for himself. But what Yukio finds is that, while the sword may have aided Rin in his new role, it was the bonds of friendship that Rin created with those around him that, regardless of what Yukio does, will be there for him.]

I do agree that the anime ending felt rushed, and I kept wondering why they had to do it. With AoEx already getting a movie, I still can't quite understand why the story had to be wrapped up in a season. It seemed like some of the things that were included in the ending is what we'll probably see towards the end of the manga. Most of what was featured would make for a good ending. However, I'd like to hope that, if the mangaka is allowed to milk it like every other popular Shonen Jump mangaka has, that the secondary characters will be given a larger and much more important role in that final battle.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I always have liked Yukio because he has so much potential as a character.

Up until Rin gets his demon sword, Yukio has always been the shining star of the pair. He's an exorcist, does incredibly well in a private school while his brother, Rin, is a lackluster public school student who gets into a lot of fights with others. So when Rin does obtain the sword and his new demon powers and gets to attend the same school that Yukio now teaches at, Yukio's position and his opinion of his self worth starts to change. Rin has a sword. Rin saves the day. Rin gets (Yukio's) girl. And despite the trouble that Rin, his demonic nature and his mouth get into, everyone loves Rin and not Yukio.

I think it's easy to say, regardless of whether you read the manga and/or watch the anime, that there's some deep rooted hatred in Yukio's heart. Yukio originally chose the path he did to protect his brother, but now that Rin is more than capable of taking care of himself and, at least in Yukio's mind, having everything that Yukio holds dear, Yukio feels defeated. He's no longer the shining star that he once was, and although he fights for the good side, you have to wonder if Yukio will switch sides and what will it take to push him over that edge.

spoiler[This is why I loved the introduction of their grandfather. He becomes that catalyst. In the name of 'saving Rin', Yukio can take away everything that Rin received from the sword and have that for himself. But what Yukio finds is that, while the sword may have aided Rin in his new role, it was the bonds of friendship that Rin created with those around him that, regardless of what Yukio does, will be there for him.]

I do agree that the anime ending felt rushed, and I kept wondering why they had to do it. With AoEx already getting a movie, I still can't quite understand why the story had to be wrapped up in a season. It seemed like some of the things that were included in the ending is what we'll probably see towards the end of the manga. Most of what was featured would make for a good ending. However, I'd like to hope that, if the mangaka is allowed to milk it like every other popular Shonen Jump mangaka has, that the secondary characters will be given a larger and much more important role in that final battle.

I love your comment and I totally agree.

I actually like Yukio along with Rin. They're my top favorites. I actually cared when he got possessed. (Omg, I don't even remember how the ending went now), but I liked Yukio in it. Anyway, I'm gonna watch the series again when it's dubbed and I'll (maybe) even watch the last few episodes (since I'm so lame and don't remember any of it). But isn't that a bad thing?? Haha Anime hyper
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
I think one of the biggest problems had with this ending was them trying to make Satan some undestandable character. um....HE'S F***ING SATAN!

I undestand the plots of trying to make it where the villan may not be the villan, the lines of good and evil are questioned and all that crap, but it just dosn't work here. Now with thinking, I can more than likely expect something like this to acctually happen in the manga, but I can at least hope they do that better there than they did here because this whole section was just stupid to me. As for Yukio... I can see where everyone is comming from and I don't mean to be the bad guy here but... I just didn't care for his character. I mean I saw from miles away what they were trying to do and with him spoiler[Having sympoms of becoming a half breed like rin] it was made all the more obvious I was just waiting for what the hell they were going to do about it already and in the end...I didn't really care for that much either.

All in all its my least favorite of the anime adaption for Blue exorcist, and even though I would have perfered it to not wrap itself up like that and just try to split the anime in seasons, I completely understand why they did it, especially considering the spoiler[Kyoto arc] went on longer than expected.
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
I never really was bothered by the ending as others were besides the fact that they decided to make spoiler[Satan somewhat sympathetic] which was ridiculous but it only made me laugh a bit because i am religious.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I loved Satan's personality. Stories that aren't black/white are usually ones that I prefer.

Not that I'm trying to overanalyze the work, but spoiler[if Satan were such an evil and powerful being, he would have killed off Yukio and Rin long ago. Why keep these two around when they're not only siding with his enemy, but they're also destroying his allies? But to not do so means that perhaps he believes that one day, a situation will arise where, when confronted with the truth, they will switch sides and aide him. As a parent, Satan appears to be very patient and understanding...and the exact opposite of how most of the Vatican members are portrayed in both the anime and manga.]

Wonder what the storyline will be for the AoEx movie. Will it be a retelling of the TV series, or will it be the Kyoto Arc or something entirely different (akin to the Naruto movies)?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first third or so of the AoEx anime and then it went to original stories that were nowhere near as exciting as the manga. It's for this reason that I haven't picked up the DVDs, though I do love the series (read: manga). Would be nice if they remade the series a la FMA when the series nears its end.

CrownKlown wrote:
How do you give this a B, it completely diverged from the manga, and not in a solid FMA way but by introducing non existent character like the grandfather, and putting in a premise that all but kills any chance of a continuation based on the manga. I don't mind Satan being misunderstood if that had been done by the author, but that was a plot device created for the anime. And the final battle wasnt anything great, last battle worth anything was against Amanion.

Actually, the author Katou sensei surpervised the whole thing so she had a large role in the way the original stories in the anime were presented. IIRC, she also designed how Yukio looked and everything. So, while the anime was quite different from the manga, it's not like the author didn't have a say in it all.

I believe this was revealed on the AoEx Twitter account when the series was airing.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
Seriously lacking project, many levels below highest mark.

Also, the issue manga and anime not matching in plot is not understood correctly. Not only they do not match, but the anime as standalone product has very damaged flow and storytelling, with fillers and total sway in storyline towards the end.

It just falls apart and came cheap.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
come off it.

there was NO WAY they could have continued the manga plot after Mephisto's trial. the arc that followed it only ended about two chapters ago. would you have rather they ended something mid-arc or done fillers enough to give a one chapter per month manga time enough to get to the end of it's first major arc (by the time the Kyoto arc ended over half the series was that arc).

and yes, the ending is cliche, but the whole series is. cliche isn't bad, not unless the cliches are badly used overall. it's all about execution. and if you bothered to look into it you'll see Kazue Kato actually helped with the story at the end of the anime, so it's not like the mangaka had no input on it.

really, I know gecko endings often get crap for being what they are, but as gecko endings go the one Blue Exorcist got wasn't bad. sure there were others that were done better, but there were far more I've seen that were done much, MUCH worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2