• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Tops September Graphic Novel Sales in U.S. Bookstores

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Relairknight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
I actually got a copy of this at walmart. Walmart! I was shocked to see it while I was looking at other books, the only manga they've ever had before was Naruto. I love seeing Sailor Moon do so well they even sell it there, a true testament to its success that they release it to the unwashed masses..err...general public, like that Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is a 2 parter so I can't wait for Volume 8 to come out. spoiler[It's well known that Uranus, and Neptune were a couple, but I was surprised to read Uranus is futanari.]
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
And this report doesn't even include Walmart purchases.

Daaaaamn, it even beat out Batman.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe DC/Marvel need to reevaluate their stance on there being no market for girls in comics. Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Maybe DC/Marvel need to reevaluate their stance on there being no market for girls in comics. Laughing

There's a really funny story about a comic called "Princess Amethyst" which debuted years before Moon. DC basically had the prototypical magical girl series before it became a cliche...and bungled it royally.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:
I actually got a copy of this at walmart. Walmart! I was shocked to see it while I was looking at other books, the only manga they've ever had before was Naruto. I love seeing Sailor Moon do so well they even sell it there, a true testament to its success that they release it to the unwashed masses..err...general public, like that Very Happy
I picked my copy up there too. Didn't even realize WalMart carried GNs at all, but there it was wedged in between Hello Kitty and My Little Pony activity books . I agree it's great to see it having such success here.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
This does not include comic shops. They serve a very different demographic and are where DC and Marvel sell the bulk of their product.

This is great news for Kodansha and of strong interest for book stores, but it is not going to change any minds at the major US comic publishers. DC tried to sell manga (CMX) and gave it up as a bad business decision.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Man, with the way the Sailor Moon manga is selling, I hope there are plans to bring over the new anime TV series onto a kids network.
bekhalol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
spoiler[ but I was surprised to read Uranus is futanari.]

She's not. When Uranus was referred to as "Male and Female", it was supposed to mean she has both masculine and feminine traits. Everyone knows Kodansha hasn't been doing a very professional job on the translation, there's numerous translation errors, some so ridiculous like "Princess Queen Beryl".

Uranus is 100% female.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
bekhalol wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

She's not. When Uranus was referred to as "Male and Female", it was supposed to mean she has both masculine and feminine traits. Everyone knows Kodansha hasn't been doing a very professional job on the translation, there's numerous translation errors, some so ridiculous like "Princess Queen Beryl".

Uranus is 100% female.

Knowing who is doing both the translating job and the editing job, and they are very talented professional veterans of the US manga industry, I'm wondering if the issues are coming from Kondasha USA's end, like only letting them do one pass on editing, or insisting things be very literal.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
bekhalol wrote:
there's numerous translation errors, some so ridiculous like "Princess Queen Beryl".

Or my favorite, "Spark Ring Wide Pressure".
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
bekhalol wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Uranus is 100% female.
You know this for fact, or are you just defending the character cause she's your fave? It's not like it could never be true as there are such people in the real world for which I accept as a world of difference without prejudice. Wink
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
bekhalol wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Uranus is 100% female.
You know this for fact, or are you just defending the character cause she's your fave? It's not like it could never be true as there are such people in the real world for which I accept as a world of difference without prejudice. Wink

It's fact. Naoko Takeuchi has flat out said she's female, always has been and always will.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
bekhalol wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Uranus is 100% female.

Caster Semenya
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon has mostly topped the list on all volumes, I always expected the volumes to sell well but I didn't expect number one spots up until the seventh volume... this is nice Very Happy

Beatdigga wrote:
lostrune wrote:

There's a really funny story about a comic called "Princess Amethyst" which debuted years before Moon. DC basically had the prototypical magical girl series before it became a cliche...and bungled it royally.

And apparently the new version of Amethyst kinda sucks...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2