• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CG Saint Seiya Film Aimed for Next July, With Possible New Show

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prabb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited! After the kaleidoscopic disappointment that was/is Omega I've been dying for something a bit more Kurumada.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
::cue spastic fangirl squealing::

OMG, I'd almost given up on this after not hearing anything for so long! Toei, I love you! I want to see this movie so much - *and* a new TV series! Some classics should *never* die - Saint Seiya forever!
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Well if it has Pegsus (i hope it does) then i hope they retain Tohru Furuya for the role like Omega. Which is probably one of the few good things about Omega.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME!!!!!

Super SS fan here, looking forward to the movie and new series.

prabb wrote:
I'm so excited! After the kaleidoscopic disappointment that was/is Omega I've been dying for something a bit more Kurumada.

I kind of agree, but me and you have to remember this new series purpose was to gather new blood and most importantly it was aimed at children, and its doing great to achieve that = has good ratings for a very early morning show between 1.7 - 2.4.

And thus as a SS fan that actually grew up watching it I am quite happy because Omega its being successful and it gives possibilities for new series that might be true to the spirit of the original, just like this announcement, now if we can get the second part of Lost Canvas animated!!

And while no true to the original I am enjoying it for what it is and means.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
AWESOME!!!!!

Super SS fan here, looking forward to the movie and new series.

prabb wrote:

I kind of agree, but me and you have to remember this new series purpose was to gather new blood and most importantly it was aimed at children, and its doing great to achieve that = has good ratings for a very early morning show between 1.7 - 2.4.

And thus as a SS fan that actually grew up watching it I am quite happy because Omega its being successful and it gives possibilities for new series that might be true to the spirit of the original, just like this announcement, now if we can get the second part of Lost Canvas animated!!

And while no true to the original I am enjoying it for what it is and means.

Agreed - Omega might have its faults, but given what it is and what its purpose is, it's not doing a bad job. And it's about to enter into its own Twelve Houses cycle, which Toei knows was what catapulted the original version into popularity on a global scale, so I actually have high hopes for the second half of that. I say even if Omega isn't your cup of tea, at least support it for the sake of the franchise - we fans have to show Toei that the love for Saint Seiya is alive and well.

Hopefully TMS is paying attention to this and will decide to do the next part of Lost Canvas (or Toei gets the license from them and releases it themselves with the same animation studio and cast). And maybe *just maybe* someone will pay attention West-side, and we'll finally get a *good and complete* release of the original series to DVD. That would just make my day/month/year complete.

Is it July yet? Very Happy
subaru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Omega has picked up its pace recently (just finished watching ep 26, and it was awesome!) Like fans of the original Saint Seiya, I wasn't too keen with the new character design and the kid-friendly simplified story line. But it is doing a good job in what it is supposed to do - introducing SS to the new generation. As a massive SS fan, I will still stick around for Omega.

Looking forward to the new movie and the new TV project. Hopefully it's gonna be SS Next Dimension!!! The one created by Kurumada sensei himself! To me, there's something missing in Lost Canvas. It's not Kurumada, it's just not the same! It's just a very well made doujinshi..
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
subaru wrote:

To me, there's something missing in Lost Canvas. It's not Kurumada, it's just not the same! It's just a very well made doujinshi..

Mad

Whatever the project is I hope it has a bigger budget than the Elysium OVAs (bad memories). Toei hasn't really put much money in a Saint Seiya production ever the Tenkaihen Overture film which Kurumada treated like an obsolete car.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everyone else, Omega is doing what it's supposed to do -pander to little kids- AND we also get bonus nostalgia fanservice. Even if the protagonist and his gang are stupid beyond words (particularly Aria, who managed to be even more annoying and useless than Athena), the nostalgia fanservice makes the show for me. And I'm also very favorable to Yuna as a character because thank the lord this show is moving with times and showing a female character that breaks out of the male imposed norm of the mask.

So basically, I'm not ashamed to say that I love Omega to bits.

I'm wary about a CG film, mostly because Japan hasn't managed to get CG all right (remembering the recent Berserk film and that godawful excessive CG). Also, because I do love traditional animation and I hope it doesn't get devoured by computer animation like it was in America
subaru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Toei hasn't really put much money in a Saint Seiya production ever the Tenkaihen Overture film which Kurumada treated like an obsolete car.

I always wonder how come Toei isn't putting much money into Saint Seiya projects.... considering how popular it is still around the world (apart from America I guess)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
subaru wrote:
sainta wrote:
Toei hasn't really put much money in a Saint Seiya production ever the Tenkaihen Overture film which Kurumada treated like an obsolete car.

I always wonder how come Toei isn't putting much money into Saint Seiya projects.... considering how popular it is still around the world (apart from America I guess)

I still stand by my feeling that, after Tenkai-hen was dismissed by Kurumada & the cast change in the later Hades OVAs that infuriated fans, Toei just wanted to be done with adapting the rest of the original manga and therefore gave them minimal budgets, probably the maximize potential profits. This is almost especially noticeable when you consider the fact that the two most recent seasons of Ring ni Kakero 1, which were partially made to help promote new pachislot/pachinko machines based on the franchise (which feature Toei-produced animation are still being made to this day), featured better animation than the previous two seasons the two original seasons got. The main comparison is that one Kurumada franchise was getting complaints & negativity surrounding it, while the other Kurumada franchise was mainly just bringing in money.

That said, now that Toei is done with the manga adapting they seem to be willing to put money down on Seiya again, especially when they are saying that the CG Seiya movie will feature some of their best CG work. As for the "new show", I'm still betting on it being an anime adaptation of Next Dimension.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Adaptation of Next Dimension is extremely premature, Kurumada is going slower than nails pace with it.

I would love to see it of course considering its canon prequel (previous war with Hades) and sequel to SS that will open the path to the Zeus arc. But not much source material for an adaptation this early (5 volumes), it you are not familiar with it and considering its been serialized for a while (2006) you probably think otherwise (47 chapter since 2006 so far).

The above and considering Kurumada and toei differences with adaptations in the past, which is precisely why we now have next dimension I dont see Kurumada easily letting Toei go on their own with Next Dimension.

So I honestly dont think it will be next dimension but some other series, heck, maybe Toei will further use the Omega world.

Let not forget there is also Saint Seiya Episode G (Not a Kurumada direct work, same situation as Lost Canvas), which has 19 volumes (20 counting vol. 0) so far and takes place 7 years prior to the original SS.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
And maybe *just maybe* someone will pay attention West-side, and we'll finally get a *good and complete* release of the original series to DVD. That would just make my day/month/year complete.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-16/discotek-announces-dvd-release-of-saint-seiya-movies

You want to see the original series get a complete release then buy the movies when they come out because sales of each of those may be the deciding factor on whether or not they should get all of it (along with Tenkai-hen & perhaps the Hades & Lost Canvas OVAs). It worked for Fist Of The North Star (movie first then series afterwards) & Galaxy Express 999 (not the series which S'more has but the Eternal Fantasy film after releasing the first 2 films here) so why not?
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Aynslesa wrote:
And maybe *just maybe* someone will pay attention West-side, and we'll finally get a *good and complete* release of the original series to DVD. That would just make my day/month/year complete.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-16/discotek-announces-dvd-release-of-saint-seiya-movies

You want to see the original series get a complete release then buy the movies when they come out because sales of each of those may be the deciding factor on whether or not they should get all of it (along with Tenkai-hen & perhaps the Hades & Lost Canvas OVAs). It worked for Fist Of The North Star (movie first then series afterwards) & Galaxy Express 999 (not the series which S'more has but the Eternal Fantasy film after releasing the first 2 films here) so why not?

Or why not import box sets from Latin America or Europe, even more if you know Spanish or French, maybe German and Italian too.

I often read people of this forum importing form japan, some even without understanding Japanese, so that's a possibility, LA or Europe.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Aynslesa wrote:

Or why not import box sets from Latin America or Europe, even more if you know Spanish or French, maybe German and Italian too.

I often read people of this forum importing form japan, some even without understanding Japanese, so that's a possibility, LA or Europe.

Oh, I fully intend to get those movies as soon as they're released - I'm waiting for a release date and a pre-order option on Amazon, and then I'm all over that. Very Happy I think Discotek is honestly the best shot we have right now of getting the original series released, and if they do I'll pounce immediately. (hint hint if anyone from Discotek is reading this).

Unfortunately it's a) difficult to tell if you're getting authentic releases that aren't bootlegs and b) difficult to enjoy those sets if you don't know those languages (like me). :/ I have the old ADV release for the first 60 episodes, but they aren't the best - seeing things like Misty's attack being transliterated to Marble Tripper (ADV... I appreciated the effort, but that's a Japanese voice actor speaking *Greek*, thank you very much...) and having Mu called the Gold Saint of Taurus (??????) makes me twitch. At least they *tried*...

CrowLia wrote:
I'm wary about a CG film, mostly because Japan hasn't managed to get CG all right (remembering the recent Berserk film and that godawful excessive CG). Also, because I do love traditional animation and I hope it doesn't get devoured by computer animation like it was in America

Back when they first announced the movie they also released a preview of the CG - and I have to say that if the quality of the entire movie is as good as the teaser they gave us, I think it stands to be some of the best CG I've seen come out of Japan *ever*. I think the teaser is floating around Youtube (or even embedded on this website) somewhere if you want to check that out. I have definite hopes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1