• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan's Video Game Rankings, October 1-7

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, the PSP is still outselling the Vita in Japan on a weekly basis by a 2:1 margin? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Oh, man, the PSP is still outselling the Vita in Japan on a weekly basis by a 2:1 margin? Laughing

Japan sure wasn't ready for a new system... Too bad the rest of the world didn't get on board with PSP like Japan did.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm also happy to see that the PS2 still manages to sell nearly a thousand units in Japan a week, though I'd imagine, at this point, it's mostly existing PS2 owners replacing dead consoles. The PS2 has an excellent library and I still play it about as often as I do my XBox 360.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Japan sure wasn't ready for a new system... Too bad the rest of the world didn't get on board with PSP like Japan did.

I think the VITA was more to hook the rest of the world into Sony's portable market, not Japan, because Japan was/is still eating the PSP up while it was essentially dead elsewhere. They're fighting two wars at once, so to speak, which may not be all that beneficial.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I think the VITA was more to hook the rest of the world into Sony's portable market, not Japan, because Japan was/is still eating the PSP up while it was essentially dead elsewhere. They're fighting two wars at once, so to speak, which may not be all that beneficial.

It really hurts the Vita appeal worldwide too, since Japan dominates the handheld gaming market. Vita has barely any good Japanese titles since most of those companies are still making games for the PSP.. and we're left with watered down ports of Western console titles for the most part. Western companies don't really take making handheld games seriously.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Revenge of the consoles!
And 2 of the Top 10 are console sports games.

Whoa, can't believe how low review scores for Resident Evil 6; yet it's selling like hotcakes. Guess we shouldn't be too surprised seeing how much they're eating up the Resident Evil: Retribution movie there (even more than the US).

RyanSaotome wrote:
Too bad the rest of the world didn't get on board with PSP like Japan did.

Seems the West rather use their big screen TVs and surround systems they already spent hundreds of dollars for enjoying their games.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what anyone says. I found Resident Evil 6 to be an awesome game.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
I don't care what anyone says. I found Resident Evil 6 to be an awesome game.

It is. The problem is review sites are essentially worthless in this day and age, especially for foreign video games which 1. Don't play by the EA/Activision way of paying for good reviews scores, or 2. Conforming to what is considered the 'standard' for gaming. When reviews start making comparisons to Call of Duty or Battlefield, you know something is up and they're missing the point of a franchise and just thinking anything with guns is supposed to be a CoD clone. We're in an age where Japanese and American gaming is divided. Though to be fair, it still sold well in the US, so obviously sites bashing it won't mean much to non-sheep people.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

They didn't get on board because the PSP sucked. The Vita is an improvement in literally every way.

TitanXL: You claim to dislike ultra-violent movie-style western action games (COD's a good example)....but when Japan makes an ultra-violent movie-style action game, it's awesome?

How can someone be THIS weeaboo...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The low scores I was referring to are those from the 4Gamer Reader Reviews, BTW.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
... Are you seriously comparing these two franchises together as if they're in the same genre or presentation?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
They're both action games. They're both filled with violence. They both have quite a cinematic flair.

Yes, one's an FPS and the other's a 3rd-person action game, but it's not like they have NO similarities at all.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
RE6 really is outstanding, although it doesn't pull its punches in terms of how often it'll let you die if you can't figure out what to do and doesn't always explain itself in general (it's not Valkyrie-Profile-true-ending levels of non-explanation, it just gives you lots of options but doesn't necessarily explain exactly how to use them all the time). And of course there's a few instadeath events/QTEs as well. It's been interesting to see just how divided people are on it all over the place, and I think that nature on top of the "Crapcom sux" and "Nothing is 'survival horror' enough anymore" narratives people have been painting has contributed to that.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
They're both action games. They're both filled with violence. They both have quite a cinematic flair.

Yes, one's an FPS and the other's a 3rd-person action game, but it's not like they have NO similarities at all.

... Well for one thing, I can't cite or name any characters in CoD I like or find memorable and awesome. The two games of it I played it just seemed like typical war-time stories set in the 'real world' (Fidel Castro and whatnot) CoD is played for it's multiplayer, not it's single-player... the story is virtually non-existent.

Meanwhile, I like seeing Leon, Claire, Ada, Sherry, Wesker and all these characters and where they end up and how the story goes. It's why it works as movies (the canon CG ones, not the awful live-action ones that are barely related to the games at all) and they're enjoyable to watch (Rebecca is best character, by the way, she needs to be in more games). The creative enemies and settings and villains. Aside from being about people who have guns these games are nothing at all alike.

Kicksville wrote:
I think that nature on top of the "Crapcom sux" and "Nothing is 'survival horror' enough anymore" narratives people have been painting has contributed to that.

The survival horror complain makes me facepalm. I said that about the 4th game when it went into over-the-shoulder mode and everyone pretty much said 'who cares, it's a cool action game'. I was disappointed with the new direction, but eventually enjoyed the game and the franchise which has shifted to that mode from the old style.

So now all of a sudden it's cool to hate this style and now we pine for the 'survival horror' routes? The heck? Where were you guys back when 4 came out? I was all alone back then and now I guess it's the in thing to bash this style of gaming after I got used to it and learned to enjoy it's new direction.
Son Gokou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

They didn't get on board because the PSP sucked. The Vita is an improvement in literally every way.

Lol. The PSP was ahead in its time at that time. It's just that Sony's support for it was poor. And blaming piracy was another death flag for it. It was killed too early in the game, Sony waved the white flag too early.

And that's the reason some game creators don't want to touch Vita.

Anyway I'm surprised nobody mentioned this... One of the rare cases that the 3DS got dethroned on the top spot. Lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2