• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Closet Case

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12laus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice read as always, always love your title captions, they're so 'smart' xD
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Hilary Haag voices Alice. Bamboo enjoyed a show featuring a girl wearing PJs throughout the series.

Well, I think it's time to head on over to TRSI to throw together another free shipping order.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I know nothing about Heaven's Memo Pad, but a NEET detective agency sounds like a major oxymoron.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Ok, I know nothing about Heaven's Memo Pad, but a NEET detective agency sounds like a major oxymoron.

the way it is explained in the books and I think the anime is that being NEET is a lifestyle not just the political definition.

I love kami-sama no memo-chou it is a great mystery series, even if the anime really screws up the second book and is not a great adaptation in compression to the source material which is available in English. yes the cases are abnormal but they still mysteries and it is still a detective show. and yes the series is rush the second case in particular changes then ending and goes through a whole novel in about 40 minutes. and it also has to do a lot of rewriting in that time since the first novel is turned into the final case, thus almost 10 minutes is spent on new material due to that leaving 30 minutes for the actual case which is almost 200 pages

thank you for pointing out the problems with anime ending to first (and in the anime final) case since that case also has stuff come back up in novel 3 (which they skipped for what ever reason).
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed Un-Go, so I'm very much looking forward to checking out Heaven's Memo Pad now. I have it on my shelf, ready to watch...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
the way it is explained in the books and I think the anime is that being NEET is a lifestyle not just the political definition.

NEET means Not Employed, in Education or Training, and yet these people run a detective agency. Still seems a bit odd, even if the NEETs themselves have tried to co-opt the term to mean something else.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
NEET means Not Employed, in Education or Training, and yet these people run a detective agency.

I thought that was odd, too. I guess it depends on if they actually get paid for their detective work.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

NEET means Not Employed, in Education or Training, and yet these people run a detective agency. Still seems a bit odd, even if the NEETs themselves have tried to co-opt the term to mean something else.

Uh... isn't that juxtaposition part of the joke here?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

in the anime yes, and the books to a point. but the book actually makes a point that these are people society looks down upon, but they are actually highly valuable people with unique skills kinda like eden of the east did.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
How's the dub for Heaven's memo pad? I know its Steven Foster and most his dubs these days tend to be pretty weak (thats being nice btw), but how is this one?

I know Theron Martin rated it favorably in his review, but (with all due respect) he tends to be nicer to Foster's dubs, he even gave Angel Beats' dub an A. How does this one's pan out? Cause personally I'd be cool with even just "solid"
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
How's the dub for Heaven's memo pad? I know its Steven Foster and most his dubs these days tend to be pretty weak (thats being nice btw), but how is this one?

I know Theron Martin rated it favorably in his review, but (with all due respect) he tends to be nicer to Foster's dubs, he even gave Angel Beats' dub an A. How does this one's pan out? Cause personally I'd be cool with even just "solid"

I like the dub, it is not always what I pictured but it works very well and is a good one from what I watched of it. alice is less moe sounding which is a nice change, since the anime makes her out to be to moe
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Even though I enjoyed the series a good deal, I think Bamboo's assessment of Un-go is largely correct.

While I don't think there was a lot of time wasted in the series, it felt like it needed a few more episodes in order to resolve at least some of the questions presented to the audience (or at least a few more hints for the audience to chew on themselves). The series gave lots of tantalyzing hints (generally in the form of flash-backs or things glimpsed in the opening animation), but didn't give enough hints for us to construct a complete story.

That said, I intend to purchase Un-go, but seeing Heaven's memo-pad once is enough.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Ugh, there was supposed to be a joke? I must have missed the memo.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
in the anime yes, and the books to a point. but the book actually makes a point that these are people society looks down upon, but they are actually highly valuable people with unique skills kinda like eden of the east did.

I watched the show but I can't remember; did they ever get paid for their services? If so, then they're not NEETs, not even if they try and pretend they are. If they don't get paid then I could understand why they call themselves NEETs despite running a detective agency, since of course they're not actually employed in the normal sense of the word. However, as they're getting out an about they would still be a different sort of NEET than for example one who sits at their computer all day gaming or whatever (like the dude in BTOOOM!).
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:

I liked it fine. Actually, with some of the casting choices they made (especially with Ayaka's brother), the atmosphere feels a little more film noire. And as someone mentioned, Alice is less moe, which works just fine.
stardf29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have to ask this: Is Steven Foster really this really bad dub director that makes mediocre or bad dubs 90% of the time like everyone seems to make him out to be, or are people just hard on him because he made a handful of really, really bad dubs?

I mean, I'm not particularly a dub person myself, though I do watch them now and then, so I would have a hard time telling; maybe he really is as bad as people like to make him out to be. Still, I have a hard time believing that his failure with dubs like Guin Saga (from what I hear) is somehow indicative of an overall inability to make at least decent dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6