• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Compassionate Military Leaders

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Bright was never the captain of the Nahal Argama. Beecha was given that position right away.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
i may be wrong, but i believe that Basilisk takes place in the early Edo period

Last edited by getchman on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see Conan in the #1 spot! For the new poll, Inuyasha would get my vote, but it seems it has been overlooked. I haven't voted yet though in hopes it will be added.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see Hyouge Mono in the poll. If ever there was a tragically overlooked show deserving of more attention, this is the one.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Seen Code Geass plenty of times, but have no clue who that is.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
No Yang Wenli? List invalidated. Go watch LoGH, for God's sake.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No Yang Wen-li? List invalidated. Go watch LoGH, for God's sake.

Precisely! Admiral Yang was the first person I thought of as No. 1 for Compassionate Military Leader. That & I've never watched the Gundam franchise

Still, he was the most lovable character in the show (for me) because of his wisdom for history, caring for his fellow soldiers as friends and family, treating his greatest "rival" with respect and even admiration, sticking to his belief of a true democracy over totalitarian politics, and even his comedic timing was great!

Basilisk takes place or starts, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilisk_(manga)#Story_background]acc. to Wiki[/url], in the 1610's during the Edo period so, technically it's not a Sengoku Era series.

Here's a rough outline from Wiki:

Muromachi (Ashikaga) 1336–1573
Nanboku-chō 1336–1392
Sengoku 1467–1573

Azuchi–Momoyama 1568–1603
Nanban trade

Edo (Tokugawa) 1603–1868
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Yup, Yang is pretty much the best example of compassion in military leaders that I can think of. There are a few others from the Free Planets Alliance that also espouse that compassion, but none that are in the spotlight as much as Yang Wenli.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Bright was never the captain of the Nahal Argama. Beecha was given that position right away.

Yeah, I believe he means the Ra Cailum.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Hard to choose from that list on the new poll. My own choice would have been Hakkenden: Legend of the Dog Warriors, or Mirage of Blaze, which although being set in present day Japan is all about the Sengoku period, with all the major feudal lords and retainers, in past and present incarnations, making their appearance. Smile

Also, I think Shura no Toki starts in 1610 and at least half of it takes place solidly in the Edo period, so like Basilisk, it too misses the technical cut-off for the Sengoku period noted above. Still, I think it's my favorite on the list as it is.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Seen Code Geass plenty of times, but have no clue who that is.

Same here Anime hyper
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
It's great to see Hyouge Mono in the poll. If ever there was a tragically overlooked show deserving of more attention, this is the one.

I voted for it. I'm so happy to see that someone has picked this series up again. I just wish Nobunaga was still around. So far he has been the most compellingly portrayed of the historical figures, though Akechi comes close, especially in episode fourteen.

I'd add a couple of others to the list of compassionate leaders. One is Dōjō Atsushi in Toshokan Sensou. He projects a gruff exterior and often berates Kasahara for things that remind him uncomfortably about himself as a recruit. Still he also has real feelings for her.

My other nominee might seem a bit surprising to some, Balalaika in Black Lagoon. While Balalaika shows no compassion for her opponents, her commitment to her subordinates is absolute, both when fighting in Afghanistan and later when they take up residence in Roanapur. It's especially apparent in the Afghan sequence in episode 21, "Two Father's Little Soldier Girls," but her devotion to her men is clear throughout.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Yup, Yang is pretty much the best example of compassion in military leaders that I can think of. There are a few others from the Free Planets Alliance that also espouse that compassion, but none that are in the spotlight as much as Yang Wenli.

Hell, most of the admirals and other leaders from LoGH trump anyone on this list. Merkatz, Mittermeyer, Fahrenheit, Mueller, Schenkopp and of course Kircheis and Reinhard. Then later on in the series, Julian too.

We don't get to see enough of Mecklinger, as his fleet is usually in reverse for Odin, but his on-screen presence always exuded cautiousness and intelligence, as well as being a fine-art lover.

It's kind of odd to make a list of military commanders without having seen the anime about military commanders.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Roy Mustang shines even more in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in my opinion. I am happy to see Bright Noa on the list; Gundam love is always welcome.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Nothing says "compassionate" like slapping the sh*t out of your subordinates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4