• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comiket Loses 10 Million+ Yen Over Kuroko's Basketball Threats

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Please find this nut job! This is a real shame that this is happening and they are canceling even comiket circles now. It seems like more can/could be done to catch this person. But I'm not on the task force of finding this person so I have no idea what they are doing or how close they are.

Last edited by grooven on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
sayan12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Please find this nut job!
scineram

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Just cancel the goddamn manga already! Before someone is killed.
sarroush

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

That's more than likely what the person wants. Doubtful they'll be given what they want.
ataggata

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

excuse me sir, is that a threat?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Comiket will not lose ten million yen due to the threats. They will lose ten million yen for giving into the threats. There is a vital difference.

They're only being affected by this lunatic because they're letting themselves be affected by him. Stepping up security is logical and rational, but cancelling the circles? That's just stupidity. This guy has not shown any ability to actually harm people (the stuff he's been using is highly unlikely to cause harm at the tiny concentrations we've seen thus far) and catering to him just encourages other maniacs to threaten Anime and Manga.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

For all his bluster, no one has died yet. If people start dying, then yeah, cancel the manga.
Aethix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

With as much politeness as I can muster, this is an absurd way of thinking. Just because some nutjob is causing trouble over a manga does not mean the manga needs to be cancelled. The manga isn't doing anything wrong. No one can reasonably suggest that the manga should be cancelled for the actions of a psychopath.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

Nonsense! If they cancel the manga then the terrorist wins. It's the principle of the thing.

The lone idiot behind this needs to be caught as quickly as possible and receive suitable treatment for his mental illness.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Please find this nut job! This is a real shame that this is happening and they are canceling even comiket circles now. It seems like more can/could be done to catch this person. But I'm not on the task force of finding this person so I have no idea what they are doing or how close they are.
I heard the FBI was helping now, but apparently it's still not enough. Idk...it's disgusting though that someone can do so much harm with mere threats.

I don't know if it's a real motto but in US movies they always say "America doesnt give in to terrorist threats".

I hope they dont cancel the manga because of this guy..
Kenshiroh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I don't know if it's a real motto but in US movies they always say "America doesnt give in to terrorist threats".

They're not supposed to negotiate with terrorists, but they did during the Iran-Contra affair.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
this is just the direct cost of the threats what about the reduction in attendance. also if they are giving the guy what he wants then why step up security. that is what makes little sense to me, the guy only seems to hate kuroko so if you get rid of it as they have done then there is no need to step up security since he has what he wants. why are they having such a tough time catching the guy though, I mean he has been at this for how long, unless he is really good then it should be easy to catch him. especially since he using hard to obtain chemicals to make these threats.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is where Japan is going to secretly ask USA to send over counter-terror experts to track down this notorious but job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Took the United States about 8 years to catch the guy that was mailing anthrax powder to people. He killed several and injured many. We didn't really catch him either, he was under survellience when he killed himself.

Those that say cancel the manga are obvious trolls.

You catch the criminal. If people die it is the criminal's fault, not the police, not the security, and not the manga creator's fault. Sole fault and evil lies with the criminal.

When you do things that criminals and terrorists want, you only empower them and show other proto criminals and terrorists that this actually works.
Kelsyjones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

If they give in to one terrorist's demands, that will only encourage other terrorists. Cancelling a manga series may not seem like a big deal to some people, but if they do that then future terrorists will be able to get away with bigger and bigger things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2