• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Namco Bandai Confirms One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 N. American Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/21/one-piece-pirate-warriors-2-vita-version-not-coming-to-u-s/

Confirmed for no Vita version, sadly.

This is another must get game. I really enjoyed the first one, it was one of the best anime games I've ever played.
Altacia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...

Wonder if someone who can't stand the One Piece Anime could enjoy a game with it's characters. The youtube videos of the first game don't look half bad...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Kind of funny how people bash the Vita/3DS for no games, when there's quite a few of them but they just never come out in the US. PSP had the same problem in America. Tons of amazing games for it in Japan but they just never bothered licensing them for US release. Then again most of them were Japanese/anime-ish games and the US marketing for the PSP seemed more aimed at the thug/street/cool people who probably wouldn't buy them.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
Hmm...

Wonder if someone who can't stand the One Piece Anime could enjoy a game with it's characters. The youtube videos of the first game don't look half bad...

Its a dynasty warriors style beat em up so yeah if you like that sort of thing then maybe, but if you don't like the characters then I don't feel there's much point in getting it, since I'm positive they have this sort of games for other series out there and they carry over a good amount of elements from the series itself.

As for me on the other hand I can't say I'm too surpised but I'm glad its getting a release here, even if it is another download I have to wait 2 hours for, I had one hell of a time annihilating anything in my path as Luffy or Zoro and I'm getting used to the other characters.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't buy the first game on disc (UK) because it had a ridiculous install size (7GB). Was hoping the sequel would get its Vita release in the west, bugger. Oh well, wont be getting this either.

Unless the amount of text isnt too high, i suppose... then i could get the JP Vita release. Hmm.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
If they have Skypia, does that mean we'll get Thriller Bark?
Dragoshi1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I still will not lay down 50 bucks for a digital game until I get a demo.
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
If they have Skypia, does that mean we'll get Thriller Bark?

Yep, Thriller Bark was confirmed in some of the latest scans.

I skipped the first game but all the new added content is making me more considering throwing down $50.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Despite how much I disliked the first game overall, I will still likely end up getting this game simply because there just isn't enough One Piece games in the US. The Grand Battle games were good fun and I'm hoping to see a next-gen (or current-gen as it should be) version of that in the future. With the Wii U's release, I'm sure Ganbarion is developing a One Piece game for that system that will likely get ported over to the PS3 as well. There's just too much money for Ganbarion to let go of a successful franchise like that (On a side note, I'm happy Pandora's Tower is getting a release in the States). On a more positive note, Pirate Warriors 2 looks like it's going to have more interesting modes. The Original Mode looks like it's going to be just akin to the DW Gundam games as well with zany dialogue and character interactions we never thought possible. It's one of those features that I think makes an otherwise button-masher fest fun to trod through.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Despite what the rep said, I wouldn't rule out the Vita version entirely. Namco Bandai may want to be pushing the PS3 version, and launch the Vita version afterwards. They're the same game, but I doubt Namco Bandai would have the stones to charge $49.99 for a PSN-only Vita game like they will with the PS3 version. A delayed release would allow them to go for a cheaper price, and not sabotage the PS3 version's sales.

I only hold this optimism because it doesn't make sense to not localize the Vita version. Yes, we know the device's sales are awful, but Namco Bandai's translating the game anyways. The only costs associated with the Vita version would be the translation re-insertion, and Sony's certification fees. Neither of which should be particularly expensive for a company like Namco Bandai. Heck, they're releasing MUD: FIM Motocross for Vita, and they'd have to go with the exact same fees.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
If no physical release this time again...I guess I wont buy it this time again.....
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully I can just import the "Asian English" version for $55 again. It's the exact same thing basically and you get the physical disc.
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
No disk version in NA again? Gee, what a surprise.
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Download version of the first game was 15GB, only just over twice the size of the forced-install on the disc version. Rolling Eyes
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Download version of the first game was 15GB, only just over twice the size of the forced-install on the disc version. Rolling Eyes

11GB actually, but yeah it really takes up a lot of space. Especially annoying for my PS3 thats PS2 enabled, since I decided playing PS2 games upscaled was more important than a big HDD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1