• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who is the manga character that you compare your self TO When you was a little Boy/Girl? Updated !!!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghost«OF»Snake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
The Reason for watching Anime and Reading manga
Is the fact that you want to escape from reality to wonder world.

I know Anime/manga is fiction but some times i can't help but comparing my self to manga characters, like Naruto ( O_o ), luffy (O_O). Because some times when you grow up watching Anime some times (Actually all the time) when I was a kid I just wanted to be Naruto, to be Brave and be Great, and back at the time I didn't Have Friends (like Naruto)
And wanted to go on adventures and discover the world To be a pirate (Its because of Monkey D. Loffy). In The end there is a kid inside every man.

So who are you when you was a kid in Anime/manga?

If Topic Is Related please PM me. Thanks Very Happy

Last edited by Ghost«OF»Snake on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
It's considered a common courtesy that when asking questions to the rest of the forum that you also answer the question yourself. Who do you compare yourself to and why?
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of any problems, I think this question is actually pretty unique. It requires a bit of critical thinking. Well, sadly, I know who it would probably be today. Aida Kensuke from Neon Genesis Evangelion is probably the character a lot of nerdy types could be compared to. If I were going to say that I had to be like an anime character, I guess sometimes I feel like Kensuke. He's something like a Walter Mitty type in that he always wants to be something that he isn't. That's not necessarily the most flattering thing to say, but as someone who enjoys escaping from reality through fiction he probably is the most relatable.

As for when I was younger, I guess I always fancied myself as the hero of Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman, though I naturally knew the name of the series as Battle of the Planets. That was probably little more than childhood fantasy, though, with no basis in reality. I can't say I was ever that cool!
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Reason for watching Anime and Reading manga
Is the fact that you want to escape from reality to wonder world.

Urgh, I could really argue with that. I don't read manga because I want to "escape," I read it because I want to be entertained. :/

But anyways. When I was young, I remember really identifying with Sora from Digimon. I was still in that stage in my life where I tried to "cast" all my friends/family as characters in shows I'd watch. (I was the Pink Power Ranger, my sister was the Yellow Power Ranger, my dad was the Blue Power Ranger, etc.). I'd watch shows and actively try to determine who I'd "be." Sora is one I still remember, though, because her journey really stuck with me and helped me... is "mature" the right word? She's a character who cares deeply for the people around her, yet struggles to accept that part of herself. She's a tomboy, but there's also a feminine side to her that she's still trying to balance out. Also, she's shown to have issues with her mother, yet the relationship is ultimately one grounded in love, which I also strongly identify with. Doesn't hurt that she gets with Matt in the end, and he was my first animated crush. Anime hyper Kidding aside, Digimon is really important to me in a number of ways.

I got into manga in high school. Fruits Basket is one my favorites, and I couldn't have found it at a better stage in my life. I was nearing the end of junior year, already gearing up for potential colleges, and a lot of stuff was building up, one after the next. I was really stressed out, thinking about my future, thinking I had to get it all planned Right That Moment or my life would end in failure. And actually, there's a bit in Fruits Basket that deals with Tohru having similar feelings. Shigure's words to her, where he likened all she had to do to a mountain of laundry, really struck a chord with me. To this day, "you have to fold the laundry at your feet, first" is still kind of my own personal calming mantra whenever I have a lot on my plate. Laughing
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Honestly I suppose I connected most with little Sakura (the pre-ninja academy one) from Naruto. I was a kid that suffered from low self esteem, and Little Sakura with Ino was some of the stuff I connected to most in kids manga at a young age. Heck, most all the kid back stories of the Konoha Kids were something most anyone could connect with. That manga has long since lost that sadly.

But if you you're going on who I wanted to be most like when I was little? I guess Sailor Jupiter. I was a tall lanky kid and Jupiter never took that as a disadvantage. Now I rock that height.

Now in my twenties I relate way to much than I care to admit to some Moyocco Anno characters... Ai Yazawa ones too, but maybe that's because I'm in my twenties and find that Josei is perfect for me. ... maybe I have become more like Jupiter with her guy problems.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
With all due respect to you, ZepysGirl, I actually do like to escape from reality time to time. However, I'm guessing that everyone likes these sorts of things for completely different reasons, so blanket statements really aren't the best way to go. As for comparing myself to characters, though, I'm reminded of another situation I was in when I was younger. Naturally, again, I didn't really think of an anime fandom back then per say.

Our local community college used to host a kid's science program. Just about everyone who went to it was ahead of the program, so a combination of boredom and negligence on behalf of the instructor led to us mostly goofing around. We would go outside and have make-believe Dragon Ball Z fights. Since I have an overly formal manner of speaking in real life, everyone always compared me to Vegeta.

As a funny aside, I had seen much further than the series, so our 'Goku' didn't realize why I would say things like "I will reluctantly aid you, Kakarot, but once this is over I will defeat you."
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
We used to play Samurai Pizza Cats in kindergarten, but since 'we' were a group a three girls, everyone always wanted to be Polly Esther. I usually got stuck playing Guido because I wore a blue jacket. Not that it mattered all that much. All we did was beat up old tires. It got old pretty fast.

Anyway, I didn't feel much of a connection to characters until I was like 15 or 16. Even then it was rare. I mean, I'm pretty much a geeky tomboy, but I also have some fairly 'cute' hobbies like knitting. There are not that many female characters out there like that. The first time I came across a character that made me think 'You think and act just like me! I totally get you!' was when I started reading Bleach. That character was Uryu Ishida, so I guess that means I'm a bit of headcase...
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I was a lot like Yotsuba, I loved drawing, and when she rented that one video over and over, that was exactly like me when I was little because I would rent "Tinytoons How I Spent My Vacation" over and over because it was so funny. Very Happy
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
Yotsuba is always seemingly filled with a lot of joy and wonder. I think a lot of us who are overcome with the ennui of being adults could really stand to learn a lot from her antics. She may seem odd from time to time, but I don't believe I remember a period of time where she truly stayed unhappy. That's something to be proud of.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
I really connected with Sailormoon as a teenager because of Tsukino Usagi. We were practically identical.
All I wanted to do was play instead of study. I didn't want to eat vegetables; I wanted only sweets. I loved sleeping. I hated homework. I was irresponsible and was always late for school. If I got a bad score on a test, I'd hide it from my mom. I was a crybaby, a wuss, immature, and always in my own little world. But I still had a kind heart and I always tried to do the right thing. I never let outside evils influence me into wrong-doings. And I thought the magical girl thing was so amazing and I really wanted to be one. Anime hyper

........not that much has changed....though I'm a bit more cynical now. Anime hyper
thebeats42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
I wanted to be like Natsume from Gakuen Alice. I wanted to have powers xD
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1