• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network, Viz Launch Free Broadband Service

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
i figured Mar would be a Toonami show... but Prince of Tennis and Hikaru No Go?

i'm assuming these are gonna be on the network eventually.
mrhomiec

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
so does that mean PoT is licensed?!? Shocked
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
mrhomiec wrote:
so does that mean PoT is licensed?!? Shocked

Yes, it's been licensed by Viz (according to an international trade show) for a while now. It's been wondered if Viz would release PoT stateside, but this Toonami Jetstream could mean it is.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah! The Return of The Reactor Anime smile.

I'm looking forward to finally finsihing Hikaru No Go. Viz doing this is perfect to keep interest in shows until their crawling DVD release schedule catches up.

Also, bare in mind that there are certain Shonen TV shows that Networks wont touch because they just dont like them or they cannot find the proper sponsers for that show. With the internet there is no such thing as ratings or ages (relatively speaking of course to ratings on TV anyway). Only hit numbers, so this is gonna be great. I just hope it isn't a summer fad and then goes away after 4 months again.

I wonder if this is going to be free? Or riddled with ads? Or worse yet require RealPlayer Anime hyper. Die Evil malware program.

Here's hoping for the best though Anime smileb.
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:
I wonder if this is going to be free? Or riddled with ads? Or worse yet require RealPlayer Anime hyper. Die Evil malware program.

Here's hoping for the best though Anime smileb.

It will be free, but there will be ads, both webpage and streaming. Obviously, you can't run something like this without either charging for it or allowing ads of some kind.
mirichan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:

Just use RealAlternative. It plays RealMedia files without any bloated spyware/popup-ads, what have you.
mmangelly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
This will be really cool. I will like not having to wait for the tv schedule. I will also like not waiting for my Hikaru No Go Dvds to come out.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I these are really great shows. I am mostly interested in POT. I heard it was or is all the rage in Japan(surfing on the net). Someone can fill me in if they want?

And even though it is not anime, Samurai Jack is probably the best tv cartoon produced state-side in a long time. I always found the episodes style and plot well thought out, and entertaining.

And as for advertisments, I don't mind watching a 60 second ad for a 22 minute show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ponlork

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Hikaru no Go and Prince of Tennis making it onto Toonami. These competitive slice of life type shows just doesn't get enough exposure on US television. It'll be nice to see sports anime on TV as it'll be something new and refreshing.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Hikaru no Go! The only problem is it will probably be dubbed...and the dub of HnG is one of the absolute worst I have ever heard, on the calibur of the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub...
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that this will be made available to people outside of the US. The Adult Swim Fix wasn't available and I couldn't take advantage of it. It'd be really nice to be able to watch Hikaru no Go and Prince of Tennis without actually having to download the fansubs. As for Hikaru no Go dubbed, I never really liked the subbed version, so I'm looking forward to the dubbed.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Please don't look forward to the dub...I assure you you will be terribly disappointed if you do.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Yes! Hikaru no Go! The only problem is it will probably be dubbed...and the dub of HnG is one of the absolute worst I have ever heard, on the calibur of the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub...

Oh come on! HnG is very accurately translated and a lot of the voices are really good ('cept maybe Kaga's) and NOTHING is cut out (of course, isn't anything really to cut/edit if it were to go on basic cable). Now the actual series itself may not interest some people.

And I had no idea that Prince of Tennis had been liscensed.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
will the prince of tennis and mar get dvd releases also?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
MAR, sweet! I hope they migrate it to tv eventually. I might have to make the effort to stream it from them just so that they know there's interest in the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3