• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Riddickulous

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I was almost positive this episode was going to be titled "The Chronicles of David Riddick", though I guess that title would've been too obvious and lame.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
My favorite anime to this day is still Giant Robo, and that dub is still really great to listen to. For that I am very thankful for David Riddick and everyone else who worked for U.S Renditions.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
My favorite anime to this day is still Giant Robo, and that dub is still really great to listen to. For that I am very thankful for David Riddick and everyone else who worked for U.S Renditions.

Giant Robo? Great dub?

It had two dubs and they were both horrible.

It's a sin not to watch with the Japanese track, anyway. Kappei Yamaguchi, Norio Wakamoto, and Yousuke Akimoto were in it! The hotblood was unbelievable.

Macross II, another horrifyingly bad dub. But then, any Macross dub has been bad.

And both the Giant Robo and Macross II dubs were Animaze. Fortunately they improved exponentially. Probably Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's doing.

By the way, did this guy have a speech impediment? Just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
By the way, did this guy have a speech impediment? Just curious.

If you can't tell by listening, then the answer is no.

Dude, our guests DO read the comments section. Posting stuff like that is unconscionably rude, no matter how hard you're trying to be the smartest one in the room.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not trying to be anything. I just noticed he had trouble speaking. Happened to me, too, when I was on a "call out" episode. But for me it was nerves, so I was wondering. Don't presume to know my motivations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kosaka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the podcast; glad he agreed to be on it. I didn't know about US Renditions before the podcast.

I looked up some of the titles he mentioned, and I noticed Media Blasters rereleased Iczer-1, on DVD, in 2005.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
U.S. Renditions subtitled my favorite anime, Dragon Century, so that name is unmistakable to me. :3
unitmikey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
U.S. renditions will definitely always have a nostalgia factor when mentioned. This is why i will never get rid of my Black Magic vhs because i personally have a strong attachment to it now and the fact that it says U.S. renditions on the box is just something that i find really cool.
DKRiddick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys. Just wanted to say thanks again for having me on. I also wanted to say that I was a little nervous giving this interview. I had a lot that I wanted to say and wanted to make sure that I got it all in. So I apologize if I was a little "all over the place". Hopefully, you all will find something interesting in the interview. The most important "takeaway" is that fans should know something about the history of anime here in the U.S. The US Renditions story is an important part of that history.

-David Keith Riddick
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Haven't got chance to listen to ANNcast in a while, but for this one, because I'm a history nerd, I might make an exception and download this podcast.

Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I was almost positive this episode was going to be titled "The Chronicles of David Riddick", though I guess that title would've been too obvious and lame.

Actually that would've been a very catchy title name for this podcast, and it would make sense David here tell a historical chronicles about US Rendition and that makes "The Chronicles of David Riddick" perfect and somewhat ironic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Great stuff, thank you for doing this. It was before my time when all this was still new, but I did some anime VHS collecting a few years back - those Dangaio tapes continue to see some action. And Appleseed, I still have that, the case is super cool...
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
I listen to ANNcast every week, but I really enjoyed this week's podcast for the sheer nostalgia factor.

I used to frequent Books Nippan in the heart of downtown. The parking garage had a huge gate, and you had to honk your car horn and wait for the guard to open the gate (and hope he wasn't asleep on the job, which actually happened a few times).

It was at Books Nippan in 1992 that I found a flyer saying that Macross II would be released at Anime Expo (whatever that was)! But I was determined to have the latest Macross, so I drove 8 hours from L.A. to San Jose, where the first Anime Expo was held.

I still have the tape, and also picked up Orguss. They are two of my most cherished collectibles.

Thanks David! Years later your work and the work of your colleagues is still appreciated.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
This was just another great episode about the history of the anime industry over here, and & I thank David for coming on and educating everyone.

I asked about Dangaioh mainly because I really did enjoy that OVA, and I refuse to buy Manga's version because it's a dub-only & edited (they removed episode 1 for no reason) atrocity. I purposefully bought the old U.S. Renditions VHS tapes just so I could watch Dangaioh the way it was meant to be seen. By the way, I do like how you guys did release a "Version 2" of Dangaioh that fixed the "Psychic/Side-Kick Wave" gaffe, because none of my tapes have that mistake.

Also, sad to hear that you had wanted to eventually get to shows like Dragonar, because I loved watching Dragonar a few years back & I would easily buy up an official release for it over here. Too bad it won't ever happen nowadays, more than likely.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
DKRiddick wrote:
Hey guys. Just wanted to say thanks again for having me on. I also wanted to say that I was a little nervous giving this interview. I had a lot that I wanted to say and wanted to make sure that I got it all in. So I apologize if I was a little "all over the place". Hopefully, you all will find something interesting in the interview. The most important "takeaway" is that fans should know something about the history of anime here in the U.S. The US Renditions story is an important part of that history.

-David Keith Riddick

Even if you don't read this Mr. Riddick, I want to say thanks for all that hard work you did from way back when. I remember as a kid being an anime fan and really there were only a couple other kids at my school who loved watching all the cool shows when we were kids (like Ronin Warriors) even if we had no idea that it was called 'anime'. As a kid it was always ridiculously hard to get to watch much anime that wasn't just circulated on TV once and then maybe mentioned here and there once they got taken off of the air. Now that we can get it at freakin' simulcast is amazing and it's good to hear from the old timers about how it was back in the day.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd be nice seeing L-Gaim or Dragonar licensed, but it could only be sub-only these days, and like through streams. The most popular and well regarded TV anime of the past can only manage to get sub-only DVDs, so the really buried stuff has no chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2