• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madman to Release Code Geass: Akito, Cowboy Bebop BDs in Australia

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
I would love this to be released in NA too!!! I wonder if its even possible after Bandai died though...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
Every country in the world is getting Bebop on bluray...... except the U.S. Mad

Seriously, FUNi, Sentai, Discotek.... Whoever!! License this already!!!
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I think Cowboy Bebop would be nice on bluray but we sort of need that like we need a hole in the head.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Totally agree! I want my Bebop BD's already! They must include the dub though (ofcourse I imagine they will for obvious reasons)!

Also looking forward to the same for CG Akito, I liked the fansub quite a bit despite being of mixed opinion on the original show.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Thank you ANN for listening to our opinions and beginning to post foreign English license acquisitions (when not already available/planned for North American release) on the front page.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see re-releases of some of the Bandai shows on BD, too, but the anime industry in the US is in horrible shape.

Most of the anime DVDs and Blu rays solicited each month NEVER reach the mass-market stores (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target) and when some do show up they're generally not price-competitive (re: very expensive, full MSRP). Speaking of which, retail is still in a transition period... Fairly soon, we'll probably see the likes of Barnes & Noble and Best Buy fade and those types of stores will disappear altogether. Record stores pretty much don't exist anymore since the advent of online mp3 sales and we'll very likely see the bulk of video sales go online and come from e-vendors within the next 20 years. That seems to be the way things are evolving unless CEO's/company planners come up with strategies to save warehouse-sized stores.

Anime's never been particularly cheap compared to domestic product in the US BUT the fact that the primary target audience is late teens to college age has never been a huge help, either. Those are the broke years for many students or the time when money is competing for dating, video games, movies and other social activities.

Basically, the only anime I ever see at Wally World are the odd Inu Yasha release, Dragon Ball Z re-releases, and MAYBE a title that's more mainstream and recognizable (Robotech). I was very surprised to see Tiger and Bunny show up at my local store and actually be priced decently! (Happens occasionally with Viz product, btw. Wally World also had the occasional massive price break on Inu Yasha season sets, too.)

Best Buy's anime section is pathetic nowadays and you can pretty much forget about all the other DVD vendors in town.

Goes without saying that illegal downloads and fansubbing DOES cut into later DVD/BD sales. The days of large-scale fanbuys of much beyond the Ghibli feature films are pretty much over.

The majority of current anime fans are faddish and will be out of the hobby within a few years OR they're casual fans/cosplayers who really don't follow that many shows. They're never going to be big collectors and will be out of the hobby within 2-3 years tops.

Another huge part of the problem I have seen with anime since the DVD days is that the number of releases exploded so much that there's no possible way anybody can afford everything let alone watch it all. For all the complaining and bitching about shows/movies that don't get licensed, there's no possible way to watch all the stuff, either, and you wouldn't want to since most of it is purile crap. The general quality has been lagging quite a bit in more recent years and for most of us on a budget, well, word of mouth is even more important if you can trust the opinions of other people or take online reviews for what they're worth... I know my buying is way down and I hedge at times looking for/waiting for the BD releases which, unfortunately, are still not coming for at least half the series. In many cases, BD's are not worth the extra cash for older shows because they generally don't help the video quality of older series, either.

The only two companies I could possibly see licensing any of those three Bandai Madman-licensed shows are Section 23 and Funimation. The other licensee companies are not in financial shape to release the shows in the US...

Otherwise, American fans will be stuck importing the titles IF they want BD that badly and don't mind paying high retail prices -- especially if they have to buy the Japanese BD releases which generally don't have subtitles or English audio.

I'm fairly certain those Australian BD's are different territory lock. Depending on the licensing requirements, I would think the property holders (Bandai and its production partners) will be dickish and restrict that release to Australia's BD-coding. It's very doubtful they'll be unlocked/all-region releases.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, I want those Cowboy Bebop Blu-Rays over here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
I think Cowboy Bebop would be nice on bluray but we sort of need that like we need a hole in the head.

Why wouldn't we want proper telecine remasters of a gorgeous analog anime? Granted, the BD's visual quality wasn't perfect, it's still better than any current DVD.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

Why wouldn't we want proper telecine remasters of a gorgeous analog anime? Granted, the BD's visual quality wasn't perfect, it's still better than any current DVD.

Well, there's no guarantee that our American blurays would look as good as the Japanese, or even Australian releases, and its possible they may not even use the same masters. Look at some of the issues various Sentai and Funimation releases have had.

Regardless, we will probably see this in North America at some point. My guess would either be Sentai or Funimation, considering the size of the titles. Viz has never been one for license rescues and I can't see Discotek or Media Blasters ponying up the cash for them. Funimation hasn't been very active on the licensing front lately, so perhaps they saved their money for these?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
Shame if it does come, it'll be in some shoddy plastic stackpack, and not in the CSNY case the Japanese got it in.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I think that Bebop is pretty overrated (being a fan of directly continuing stories and such) but I'd definitely pick up the BD, even if it had visual issues. As "evidence", I picked up Funi's release of Lain though it had visual issues and I consider it to be massively overrated.

Though I'm thinking, hoping really, that this will be a "shoo-in" for one of the many faces of Sentai/Section23 as they've had an "extra special relationship" with Madman for a while now; I've heard the somewhat credible, and I'd bet that you all have heard them too, rumors that they've helped get an undubbed Sentai show or 2 re-released with a dub.

I guess the other countries had to catch a break on releases sooner or later, though I'm mildly concerned that, assuming those rumors are true, that if our Australian friends already have Bebop then they won't spur Sentai into releasing it stateside. Laughing Crying or Very sad
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I think that Bebop is pretty overrated (being a fan of directly continuing stories and such) but I'd definitely pick up the BD, even if it had visual issues. As "evidence", I picked up Funi's release of Lain though it had visual issues and I consider it to be massively overrated.

Though I'm thinking, hoping really, that this will be a "shoo-in" for one of the many faces of Sentai/Section23 as they've had an "extra special relationship" with Madman for a while now; I've heard the somewhat credible rumors, and I'd bet that you all have heard them too, that they've helped get an undubbed Sentai show or 2 re-released with a dub.

I guess the other countries had to catch a break on releases sooner or later, though I'm mildly concerned that, assuming those rumors are true, that if our Australian friends already have Bebop then they won't spur Sentai into releasing it stateside. Laughing Crying or Very sad
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Though I'm thinking, hoping really, that this will be a "shoo-in" for one of the many faces of Sentai/Section23 as they've had an "extra special relationship" with Madman for a while now; I've heard the somewhat credible, and I'd bet that you all have heard them too, rumors that they've helped get an undubbed Sentai show or 2 re-released with a dub.

If anything, Sentai/Section23 has a closer relationship with Siren Visuals and Hanabee than Madman. Madman is very cosy with Fumimation and used to never release sub only releases, although recently it has been doing a few of it's own releases such as Gosick.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

If anything, Sentai/Section23 has a closer relationship with Siren Visuals and Hanabee than Madman. Madman is very cosy with Fumimation and used to never release sub only releases, although recently it has been doing a few of it's own releases such as Gosick.

It's also releasing Waiting In Summer, which was subonly and a Sentai title here. But I do agree that Sentai seems to work more often with Siren and Hanabee, but Madman has had a few of their titles. They also authored a few releases with Hanabee, which is why some of their recent releases have been Region A and B. Allegedly, if you put one of the releases into a player set to Region B, it displays the Hanabee logo instead of the Sentai one.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Most North Americans can't import these, since Australia is R2 for BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2