• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 9

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
Past results:
Round 1<
Round 2<
Round 3<
Round 4<
Round 5<
Round 6<
Round 7<
Round 8<
__
RULES - Quotes:

1. Only one person at a time may have an active quote. To be able to post a quote, one must either have guessed the previous quote correctly or else be taking advantage of a passed turn or expired time limit (see below).

2. Posted quotes must be very distinctive, and must clearly come from one particular title. (Do avoid ones that are major spoilers, however.) Quotes generic enough that they could come from any of a number of titles and/or which consist of common, everyday language should be avoided. Both single-line and multiple-line dialogue exchanges are acceptable, provided that they meet these conditions.

Bad Example: "If you don't come back, I will never forgive you."

Good Example: "Make a pilgrimage for the past with me."

Good Multi-line Example:
Character A: "What does the scouter say about his power level?!"
Character B: "It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!"

3. As shown above, the entire quote must be bolded for a single line quote and the key line to be identified must be bolded in a dialogue exchange quote. Revealing character, power, or location names within a quote can be replaced with "[Character B]" or "[spoiler power name]" or something like that, as necessary. Any profanity in the quote must conform to normal forum rules, so please avoid quotes that use it.

4. Only quotes from anime titles (trailers and promo videos don't count) that have been in circulation for at least a week, and are available in official or fansubbed English translation, may be used. Quotes may not be used from a title which was the source of one of the immediately previous four quotes. Specifying whether the quote is from subbed or dubbed material is required in cases where either one version isn't available or the two versions are substantively different. (Providing both versions in the latter case is encouraged but not required.) If the quote is from a fansub, that must also be specified, since wording between different fansubs can often vary greatly.

5. If the quote used is one that is repeated verbatim by more than one character in the same title then any of the speakers of the quote must be accepted as correct. (Optionally in this case, the quote poster may specify "first speaker" or "general context in which the quote is used" up front.)

6. Quotes remain active until they are guessed correctly, until 10 incorrect guesses have been attempted, or for 48 hours, whichever comes first. In the latter two cases an open turn takes effect and anyone else may post a new quote.
_
Rules - Hints

7. Up to four hints may, at the quote poster's option, be provided. They should be staggered over the course of the 48 hours, with 8-10 hour intervals being recommended. (And while hints are not explicitly required, not providing them at all for a quote which is clearly difficult is considered unsportsmanlike.)

8. Hints must follow the format shown below. Their content should be a substantive clue to the source of the quote and/or the speaker(s) and thus should directly concern either the speaker(s), the source material, or the context of the scene. Hints which just state something that's obvious from the quote aren't proper hints. Also, saying that the source title is based on a visual novel or game or something of that nature is acceptable, but making comparisons between the anime and its alternate form aren't. (For instance, a hint that goes "Character A's behavior is very different in the anime than it is in the source manga" is a bad hint.)

Example: Hint #1: spoiler[This is a proper way to give a hint.]

Rules - Answers

9. Answers must be spoiler-tagged or they do not count as answers.

10. Answers must specify the speaker of the bolded quote, the source material, and the context of the scene. This could be a description of the scene, identification of who the speaker is speaking to or about, what episode it happens in, or other possibilities. The quote poster may be as loose or picky about the specifics as he/she wants (for instance, some quote posters will accept an answer which identifies the wrong season of a series as long as the series is right).

Example: spoiler[Character A is Kirika and Character B is Mireille, from the scene in Noir at the end of episode 1 where they agree to work together as Noir.]

11. Each guesser gets only one guess per quote, so make it count!

12. Once a guess has been confirmed as correct, the guesser may either pass his/her turn or post a new quote. Going more than 24 hours without posting a new quote is tantamount to forfeiting one's turn, in which case an open turn is declared.

Lastly - and this is general advice rather than a rule - this game is not meant to be a test of Google-fu. Merely plugging the quote into a search engine, and basing an answer on that, is considered unsportsmanlike behavior. If you're obviously doing this on a regular basis then you may be asked not to participate anymore.

Minigames

Anyone may post a minigame picture while waiting for a winning guesser to post a new quote, but only one may be in play at any time. Here's how it works: the poster grabs a screenshot from an anime and the players must guess what is being said in the image. Though not required for a point, do also include the name of the speaker and what anime it is. These do count for points but do not have to be guessed, so be sure to catch them before they zip away!

Scoring
The scoring at the end of 100 pages will be one point per correct guess for a main game or minigame quote in official play.

This game was created to be a more useful and interactive kind of quote dump and also to allow any random person an opportunity at playing, as the pic game is, by nature, going to be ruled by the most hardcore otaku. You could try to be all hardcore here...but no one will think your quote is memorable or cool. Wink

That being said, I hope that the difficulty will spike and dip as we play, with some more unusual quotes being mixed in with classics. All the same, they need be memorable.

Last edited by Key on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Just to clarify, there are no rules updates for this round. However, I do officially encourage people who were among the top 3-4 scorers for the previous round to refrain from picking up passed turns unless several hours have passed since the turn was declared open.

Since the last round ended with a time limit expiration, anyone except Vaisaga (who had the expired quote) may post one to get us started off for this round. I will post one myself in a couple of hours if no one does so before then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
As the game is open (no one guessed the last quote within 48 hours), I will kick this round off.

From the dub.

Character A: Which do you think is worse? Dying before you can achieve your dreams? Or living so long that you realise your dreams were never attainable in the first place?

Character B: Everything is possible until you die.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
A hint before I go to bed.

Hint # 1: spoiler[These two are unlikely travel companions.]
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Is A Holo and B Lawrence from Spice and Wolf? ]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:
spoiler[Is A Holo and B Lawrence from Spice and Wolf? ]

Sorry, but it isn't.

Hint # 2: spoiler[The anime is set somewhere after the warring states period but before the Meiji restoration, although it doesn't try hard to be historically accurate.]
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Is it spoiler[A Jin speaking to B Mugen in Samurai Champloo]?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Is it spoiler[A Jin speaking to B Mugen in Samurai Champloo]?

Again, I'm sorry to disappoint, but no.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
is it spoiler[Lyar von Ertiana and the assassin from Divergence Eve?]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
is it spoiler[Lyar von Ertiana and the assassin from Divergence Eve?]

No, it isn't. It's worth clicking on My anime as I only post quotes from anime I've seen.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
I am going to take a wild guess but

Is itspoiler[Character A: Kenshin and Character B: Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin?]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
I am going to take a wild guess but

Is itspoiler[Character A: Kenshin and Character B: Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin?]

Sorry, but spoiler[Kenshin and Sanonsuke don't meet until after the Meiji Restoration].

Hint # 3: spoiler[The questions neatly sum up the predicaments of the two characters. One is a sixteen year-old out to avenge the death of her parents (obviously her dreams aren't constructive ones) while the other is a jaded samurai with an uncanny knack for staying alive.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
Is this spoiler[Rin (A) talking to Manji (B) in Blade of the Immortal?]

Might have the names reversed...
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Ok, I'd say spoiler[character A is Manji, character B is Asano Rin, in Blade of the Immortal.]

EDIT: I too was curious about whether I got the characters mixed up or not, will be interesting to see which of us is right. (Unless this is a massive red hearing and we're BOTH wrong, but I doubt it.)

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga has the order correct.

I hope this isn't a portent of things to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 100