• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Baka and Test: Season Two BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calibrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Who needs substance anyway?

Me. I need substance, and I demand substance. I like it when my shows have characters with development, fleshed out stories, and meaningful themes.

Is that too much to ask?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
Calibrator wrote:

Is that too much to ask?

Yes.

Substance has its place and all but can't some series just be anti-serious? Can't some, I'll just come out and say it, just be silly? Especially comedies?

The dub made the the peeping arc tolerable and it didn't completely kill the foreign language episode which went as I kind of figured it would. I guess the second season's better than the first one but it's by a pretty small margin. Which is a pretty good accomplishment all in all, I suppose.

The first season's funnier, the second is more memorable.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:15 am Reply with quote
I also preferred the second season to the first, but mostly for the character development. It was nice to see this occur, and not just continue the gags (well, mostly) from the first season.

The second season does, however, break the time line when it comes to what characters know in present time. It's not critical in regard to the story, but fans who paid attention will pick up on them (and then dismiss them).

This has been a fun series for me, and I'm hoping there's a season 3. I like brainless banter series likes these, when they're done as well.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Calibrator wrote:
Quote:
Who needs substance anyway?

Me. I need substance, and I demand substance. I like it when my shows have characters with development, fleshed out stories, and meaningful themes.

Is that too much to ask?

the three episode school trip arc had PLENTY of substance and was even an informative documentary

how to peek and not get caught
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1