• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anohana Film's 1st Trailer, Special Video, 2nd Ad Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
Oh man, this gave me nostologia~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Oh man, this gave me nostologia~

The music alone is enough to make me cry again!

So far the trailers look exactly like the TV series. Are they reusing that or just for the trailers so far?

Retold from Menma's point of view would be interesting as while implied they never showed exactly how the accident occurred unless I blinked and missed it...
unready

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
So far the trailers look exactly like the TV series. Are they reusing that or just for the trailers so far?

There was a news post I saw somewhere about this. There's supposed to be a lot of reuse, but some new stuff, too, since Menma's pov is a little different. Some of the sequences from their childhood in the trailers didn't look familiar to me.

hpulley wrote:
Retold from Menma's point of view would be interesting as while implied they never showed exactly how the accident occurred unless I blinked and missed it...

Yeah, they never said how explicitly. There we just 2 or 3 short scenes spoiler[of sandals floating in water] and the one time when Jintan got a bit distressed when spoiler[Menma wanted to look at some carp in the river].
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
A lot of those grade school scenes are definitely new and a few of the high school scenes as well. It looks like they're going to include a lot more new material than the Madoka movie did.

Come on FUNI, you know you want this...
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:23 am Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
A lot of those grade school scenes are definitely new and a few of the high school scenes as well. It looks like they're going to include a lot more new material than the Madoka movie did.

Crunchyroll has the TV series as a library title.
Luck0fTheDuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
When the ED song came in, feels where felt. Man this looks so good, can't wait to see the new scenes and cry again Anime hyper
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Well, thank goodness that trailer made it clear they were keeping the worst part of the series firmly in the movie. (Although I understand that this is another 90% reused footage sorta thing, so there wouldn't be too many changes.) But...still. Half of that linked youtube trailer was the stuff I liked least about that otherwise really lovely little show.

Put in less vague terms, usually the middle of an anime series is where it feels weakest. In AnoHana, the beginning (first 10 minutes) and end (last two episodes) are where it feels weakest. That trailer is super-into revisiting that ending, so I guess they're sticking to the overwrought stuff in marketing because it really did work...unfortunately. Wasn't very good writing compared to all that had come before. Sad
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, thank goodness that trailer made it clear they were keeping the worst part of the series firmly in the movie. (Although I understand that this is another 90% reused footage sorta thing, so there wouldn't be too many changes.) But...still. Half of that linked youtube trailer was the stuff I liked least about that otherwise really lovely little show.

Put in less vague terms, usually the middle of an anime series is where it feels weakest. In AnoHana, the beginning (first 10 minutes) and end (last two episodes) are where it feels weakest. That trailer is super-into revisiting that ending, so I guess they're sticking to the overwrought stuff in marketing because it really did work...unfortunately. Wasn't very good writing compared to all that had come before. Sad

Well, at the recent ACE where they had a theater for the top 24 Anime Episodes of the Century, the final episode for AnoHana was in there.. so people loved that final episode, even if many people over here call it forced drama. Its what made the show so loved by the fans in Japan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
oh wow those memories though. such nostalgia.
Roketsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
TG72 wrote:

Actually NISA has distribution rights, and since it's a movie I doubt Crunchyroll would have anything to do with streaming it.

http://www.nisamerica.com/anohana
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Well, at the recent ACE where they had a theater for the top 24 Anime Episodes of the Century, the final episode for AnoHana was in there.. so people loved that final episode, even if many people over here call it forced drama. Its what made the show so loved by the fans in Japan.

It's like Japan's "Who Killed J.R." episode or telenovela. Laughing
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Funny. I thought the beginning and end of the series are what did it for me and I usually point to both as having great writing, at least by my own preference. The middle had nice development, but I felt the pacing was off a bit. I wonder where we differ...

In fact, when we showed this at our anime club, this student on the budget committee came in to tell us that our club time was over as we were finishing the final episode up. We asked him to wait and he did... and he had no idea what was going on, nor do I think he had any interest in anime, but... even he had tears in his eyes and had to take a few deep breaths and leave the room for a bit before coming back in to kick us out for good. Manipulative or whatever you want to call it, it certainly is effective. Maybe some people are just turned off by writing that succeeds in forcing people to cry over cheesy stuff...? I'm interested in what you think.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Now that looks very interesting! The chunk of the film that they showed at the end looks like they are starting following the characters probably late middle school studying for their high school entrance exams, rather than at high school. Maybe they will show Jinta's breakdown and then go from there?
TG72

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
Roketsu wrote:
hpulley wrote:
TG72 wrote:

Actually NISA has distribution rights, and since it's a movie I doubt Crunchyroll would have anything to do with streaming it.
http://www.nisamerica.com/anohana

I've got the NISA release; they did a great job with it. I'm hoping that if that did well enough someone else might be interested in the movie (which can be licensed separately).
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Funny. I thought the beginning and end of the series are what did it for me and I usually point to both as having great writing, at least by my own preference. The middle had nice development, but I felt the pacing was off a bit. I wonder where we differ...

In fact, when we showed this at our anime club, this student on the budget committee came in to tell us that our club time was over as we were finishing the final episode up. We asked him to wait and he did... and he had no idea what was going on, nor do I think he had any interest in anime, but... even he had tears in his eyes and had to take a few deep breaths and leave the room for a bit before coming back in to kick us out for good. Manipulative or whatever you want to call it, it certainly is effective. Maybe some people are just turned off by writing that succeeds in forcing people to cry over cheesy stuff...? I'm interested in what you think.

I think your mood and how willing you are at being caught up in the melodrama affect the outcome.

During my first watch, I was laughing my butt off during the last episode. It was just so overwraught with characters screaming and crying. And they decide to add in this "hide-and-seek" scene where the characters are desperately looking for their friend, who Jintan suddenly can't see, and the music in the background gets so dramatic, and then they all end up in the same area and Jintan starts screaming, "WHERE ARE YOU?!" with an emphasis on each syllable and everyone joins in and then Menma responds and suddenly everyone can see her and... well, if you're not caught up in the emotion it can seem just so silly and unintentionally hilarious.

When it comes to drama, you're either caught up in it or you aren't, and the harder the show is trying to heighten the emotions out of the viewer the sillier it seems if you're not caught up by it. Have you ever tried watching a soap opera? They're so easy to make fun of, but I've known a few people who loved them and could easily get caught up in them.

On my second watch, I think I was in a more sentimental mood, because I did have a few tears by the end. It all comes down to whether or not you can get caught up in the emotions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2