• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: MangaGamer Announces Addition of If My Heart Had Wings from MoeNovel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This release is heavily censored. It is not a translation of an existing all-ages title or version; Japanese releases of this game are solely 18+. All censorship is exclusive to the English version.

Deleted/Edited Content:
- removed sexual humor
- removed 17 sex scenes (including over half the CG)
- removed images of kissing with lips touching Rolling Eyes
- added towels to characters in the bath
(there may be more edits we don't know about yet)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
This release is heavily censored. It is not a translation of an existing all-ages title or version; Japanese releases of this game are solely 18+. All censorship is exclusive to the English version.

Deleted/Edited Content:
- removed sexual humor
- removed 17 sex scenes (including over half the CG)
- removed images of kissing with lips touching Rolling Eyes
- added towels to characters in the bath
(there may be more edits we don't know about yet)

It's a 2 way road with eroge/visual novels in the western world. If they leave all the content in that really alienates a huge amount people that will play these titles "including female gamer's". Then there is major issues with the characters ages due to the sexual content in 18+ versions. The other side of the road is that that hardcore visual-novel/eroge fans such as myself will avoid this because of the said edits and not support it's release.

So that leaves me to question one thing, who is this target audience for this censored eroge to all ages visual novel?? Post pc gamer's avoid these games like the plague and will not even support titles like higurashi on steam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
If they leave all the content in that really alienates a huge amount people that will play these titles "including female gamer's".

I'm a female gamer, and censorship is what alienates me.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
If they leave all the content in that really alienates a huge amount people that will play these titles "including female gamer's".

That's a bit of a rarity if you don't mind me saying. I might still support this title in hope that more all ages vn will be localized someday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

This is not censorship. Censorship is being forced by an authority to remove something considered objectionable. This is the company willingly removing content of their own volition. That's not censorship. I really wish people would stop using that word incorrectly just to make a point.

I don't agree with it either but words mean things.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

This is not censorship. Censorship is being forced by an authority to remove something considered objectionable. This is the company willingly removing content of their own volition. That's not censorship. I really wish people would stop using that word incorrectly just to make a point.

People have been using the word "censorship" this way for a long time. We can fairly put this in the "language evolves" category.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm also a female VN player and I'm sad to see these cuts. You can easily skip these scenes in games. Some of them seemed like unnecessary cuts too.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
No way am I supporting a botched release like this. I'll wait for the fix that fans will put out.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

The term you are looking for is self censorship.
Niyari

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
too much speculation. wait till the full game is out before judging how terrible it is

i for one plan to support it just because i like the idea of us getting an official release for a game that isn't some 4+ year old nukige
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
too much speculation. wait till the full game is out before judging how terrible it is

If you support a game like this it is telling companies that you are okay with them filling the entire game with censorship. It could be the best game if the world and I wouldn't support it.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
MangaGamer would probably do better to release an uncensored version on their 18+ site, and the censored version on their all-ages site. It's the same game, so that surely shouldn't be to much trouble? They get the money either way.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

That's a bit of a rarity if you don't mind me saying. I might still support this title in hope that more all ages vn will be localized someday.

That sounds a bit counterproductive, if you ask me. By supporting an eroge that's been edited for content to be 'all ages,' you're basically saying 'please license erotic games but take the erotic part out.'

I'm a girl who loves these types of games. This kind of editing is very disappointing.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

That sounds a bit counterproductive, if you ask me. By supporting an eroge that's been edited for content to be 'all ages,' you're basically saying 'please license erotic games but take the erotic part out.'

I'm a girl who loves these types of games. This kind of editing is very disappointing.

I know it's a catch 22 or better phrased damned if you, damned if you don't. Visual novels hardly every get support for physical release outside of jast-usa and manga gamer that have their own rating system. This is the first visual novel in years aside from ai your aoshi to ever get an esrb rating of T.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

That is not its exclusive meaning at all. We would not qualify the word, like "government censorship" if it meant strictly what you stated. It is also possible to have self-censorship, as well as a third party censorship, where someone else's original work is legally modified by a third party -- which is what is happening here.

Essentially it means editing, removal, or modification of something beyond its original form or intent, usually due to various forces or pressures.

Melicans wrote:
MangaGamer would probably do better to release an uncensored version on their 18+ site, and the censored version on their all-ages site. It's the same game, so that surely shouldn't be to much trouble? They get the money either way.

Yeah I agree that's the best approach since much of the work would already be done for the uncensored version anyways. I wonder why this sudden change in direction for MangaGamer. Interestingly, while I was browsing eManga, it seems like DMP is getting into games. Given the rest of the catalogue, maybe they wouldn't be so averse to releasing something like this in full

I know it's a catch 22 or better phrased damned if you, damned if you don't. Visual novels hardly every get support for physical release outside of jast-usa and manga gamer that have their own rating system. This is the first visual novel in years aside from ai your aoshi to ever get an esrb rating of T.

They could go the middle of the road route and keep the nudity and some of the risque scenes and but delete the actual explicit sex scenes or perhaps obscure it significantly (maybe) and get an M-rating instead.

But I still wonder why they want an ESRB rating when it's not required at all for PC games
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3